shape
carat
color
clarity

Could this EC really be an IF??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Good Afternoon!

I have to admit that I have been lurking around the pricescope forums ever since my fiance first began dropping clues that he was thinking about keeping me two years ago
30.gif
. You all are so amazing! I have learned so much just browsing the forums, but now I have a specific question...

My fiance proposed with the most perfect engagement ring! The center stone is a pink tourmaline and now that we are about to get married, he wants to replace the pink beauty with a diamond. We have been looking around and stumbled upon the diamond I have attached to this e-mail. The vendor says it is an internally flawless stone, and I admit I am no expert, but I feel like I can actually SEE the flaws! It was beautiful in a smaller picture, but once they blew it up, it took on a totally different look!?! I have seen plenty of enlarged stones (mainly on james allen''s site) but none of the IF stones look as grainy as this one. Also, it looks a little too yellow to be an F (but what do I know??)

I know you pricescopers like stats, so here goes:

Weight: 1.6ct
Color: F
Clarity: IF
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Dimensions: 7.39 x 5.92 x 3.91
Table: 61%
Depth: 66%
Girdle: medium to slightly thick
Fluor: none

(says "Surface Grading not shown"...what is that and why would it not be shown??)

So, what do you think?? Thanks in advance!

EC 1.6 F IF.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
does it come with a certificate? And who from?

As for the grade. it could be dusty, and the yellow... looks like a reflection to me. Frankly I think it''s stunning.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Yes, it comes with a GIA cert. I tried to upload it, but failed...I''ll get the hang of this soon.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 3:52:23 PM
Author: Gypsy
does it come with a certificate? And who from?

As for the grade. it could be dusty, and the yellow... looks like a reflection to me. Frankly I think it's stunning.
I think it looks good and ditto Gypsy it could be dust you are seeing on the diamond.

" Surface graining not shown" in the comments section of the grading report is mentioned for the sake of completeness and is not an issue in any way. Any tint you see in the photo is very unlikely to be representative of the diamond in reality being an F colour, it is probably a reflection or the result of the photography or surroundings.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Here is a smaller version...

1.60ECpic1.JPG

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
...and another

1.60ctECpic2.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is really pretty!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it''s got a GIA cert, comes from a vendor you trust, and a decent return policy. No worries. You can just take it to an independent appraiser and ask for a certificate check to make sure it''s A) a diamond B) that matches the certificate.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your thoughts! You all are wonderful! We are just so nervous about making such a big purchase over the internet
33.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone! Amazing!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2009 4:04:52 PM
Author: NatureBaby
Thank you for your thoughts! You all are wonderful! We are just so nervous about making such a big purchase over the internet
33.gif
We are pleased to help! And that is quite understandable being nervous about internet purchases but if you are working with one of the reputable vendors then no worries!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If its a GIA cert than what you''re seeing is def dust or waterspots or something. Emerald cut stones are hard to keep *perfectly* clean & show dust easily. It won''t be that magnified in real life though so no worries!
9.gif

Does look like a LOVELY stone. I bet it looks blindingly white in person & shoots big ol'' flashes of brilliance.

Some people would think IF is "overkill" ... but if there''s ANY cut that is perfect for IF or VVS1 ... its Emerald (& square em/asschers). My own asscher is vvs1 & I love that its so clean *inside* (if not outside
3.gif
)

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think it looks like a keeper and I agree, very clean ECs show dust really easily.

It had nice dimensions and if it speaks to you then let your eye and heart make the decision for you.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Emerald cuts are definitely a challenge to keep looking pristine. I have become quite obsessed with my Jewel Jet. The pink tourmaline is an emerald cut and if I don''t keep it clean, it really shows! But I would not trade the EC for anything. Here is a pic of my e-ring...

E Ring 2.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think it is pretty

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful. Original is v pretty too!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like a gorgeous EC to me. Again if it''s a GIA cert, no worries. The pic is showing dust of water marks. EC''s are hard to keep clean... But this looks like a stunner.
1.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Amazing EC. Those are either waterspots or dust, not inclusions from what I can see. I''m pretty sure that the color you are seeing is a reflection. Those smaller shots you see color but there is now way that an F can be that color so it has to be reflecting off of something, I think.

If the return policy is good then I would get it and make the decision once you see it and also take it to an independent aprasier to be sure. The cert would help however the vendor photo is amazing. Great stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks to be a very pretty stone and wow, an F IF! I''m sure the specks are dust and the yellow is reflection/dispersion. It''s incredibly hard to keep dirt and dust off diamonds, especially step cuts and once the picture is magnified, it looks worse.
2.gif

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Looks gorgeous to me!! What a rock! And yes, EC''s show everything! I have a VVS2 F EC and I just LOVE how clear it is!

You''ll love that diamond!

jbsteven

Rough_Rock
looks like the bigger brother to the D IF 1.07 EC I just put in my new ring.

You will love it.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a gorgeous EC! I don''t think you could go wrong with that beauty.

(I am with everyone who says they are a pain to keep clean, BTW. I obsessively clean mine.)

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Nah, it''s a dud. Now give it to me...!
27.gif
Heh.

But seriously, if you don''t like it for whatever reason, you should consider getting another diamond, perhaps in a different cut? I''m sure your fiance won''t mind...

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses! I will have to keep you posted!

Dmitri,

You are funny! Thanks for the comment. I actually loved it when I saw the small images...I was just a little concerned when I saw the grainy appearance of the blown up image. Pricescope has turned my diamond-ignorant self into a diamond snob - and I LOVE IT!! I just needed to know that it was dust! My jewel jet will take care of that in no time!
36.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I love the shape of it. I have an EC on the thin and long side. Yours is perfect.

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Beachrunner and JBSteven,

I would LOVE to see your rings!
30.gif

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Gothgrrl,

I would love to see yours, too! BTW, your avatar is adorable!

idreamofice

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!!!

My ec is a g and I don''t see any tint to it so your F will be amazing! Please comeback with the finished ring!!
1.gif

NatureBaby

Rough_Rock
Once the diamond arrives, we have to get it mounted. Then, I don''t think my fiance is going to let me see it until our wedding day (April 18)
39.gif
I will gladly post it for you as soon as I can!

beach

Brilliant_Rock
NatureBaby- Jewel Jets are great but I would not use it on your pink tourmailine ring because pink tourmaline is very sensitive to heat. High heat is risky and may cause color change. Although some colored stones can be safely steam cleaned, I would play it safe and not steam clean any of them. Avoid ultrasonics too. Use a soft brush and warm soapy water instead.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results