shape
carat
color
clarity

could this be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
hmmmm,
i recently saw a 2.03 pear D color I2 diamond.
i asked the seller how bad the inclusions were on this I2 and his response was that the inclusions were white/clear and with the D color this stone was facing up beautifully.....could this be true?
11.81x7.61x4.01
D
I2
flour : none
depth : 52.7
table : 64.1
girdle: med
polish: vg
sym : vg
cutlet: none
hmmm...possible to look ok?
rolleyes.gif
comments please

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If your numbers on the table/depth are correct, you should RUN from this stone. It barks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/4/2004 10:26:28 AM kathishopping wrote:

I recently saw a 2.03 pear D color I2 diamond. [...] possible to look ok? ----------------

NO.

Did you see it in person or a picture?

Most would say I2 is not a grade suitable for jewelry altogether. to be honest, if you can see the difference between a D and G color face-up, you're a hero. The choice of the highest color and barely ever acceptable clarity is a mystery to me. I1 would need some excuses and SI2 luck to please hands down, but I2... nope. I would be very amazed if you would end up liking that crackled, fuzzy, sparkless look - this would make your choice a true rarity.

The inclusions (white or not) in an I2 would compromise both durability (the white stuff are probably "feathers" or internal fractures, cracks) and light return (since there is so much disrupting the light pass through the stone).

These non-gem clarity grades are usually really inexpensive, and for good reason. One needs a serious leap of faith to go for them. In my view, whatever they still cost, is much better spent otherwise - on clarity enhanced diamonds, for example, if nothing else.

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for your input/opinion, sometimes these things boggle the mind...D-I2? seems oxymoronish. best of one category/worst of another.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Valeria, I have to admit, I am no hero, but I have an uncanny ability to see color on stones. We have been searching for that elusive radiant in the colorless category. I can actually tell an F from a D, and sometimes an E from a D. A G from a D is like screaming at me. Some jewelers were suprised and some were a little creeped out when I called the color before they told me.
eek.gif

But then again, these have been shaped stones, and not round (with perfect cuts and parameters). My poor BF with such an exacting "color snob" I have become, his choices get more limited.

To my defense I am almost blind to inclusions and missed a few juicy ones on an SI1...my BF is more the inclusion/cut guy...

Nicrez "The Color Snob"

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
ok...D is great...however color snob...I2?
rolleyes.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I have been warned away from some SI2s, and very warned away anything I. From the sounds of the stone, it DOES seem like it will be a bit dirty and you may not be able to enjoy the stone with so many things happening inside the clear facets of your stone. Try to stick to SI1 or clean SI2. As for color, Gs to Js are best for most people with normal eyes. Also you can go lower in color, depedming on your setting. If it's lower than J, you can go into the yellow gold settings to compliment the stone. Platinum, most people stick to above J (but that's not always the rules, and depends on the stone!)

People like me, we get to wait a few years before we are happy with a stone and find the RIGHT one...
cry.gif

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
i'm going to view a F SI2 pear this afternoon...anything below an SI1 makes me leary. i hope its possible for an SI2 to make me happy. these little pieces of ice have a way of settin ya back $ wise.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Well you can always sacrifice Clarity and color a bit for size, if that's what you like. Depending on your priority, I say the best thing to never sacrifice, however is the CUT. When it's cut well and sparkles, it can be a J SI2, and still be an amazing stone. Shaped stones are tough for cut grades, but it's well worth it (in my opinion) to not sacrifice that elusive cut. Good luck! and send the specs on the stone once you see it!
1.gif

I was actually looking at a stone after weeks of searching and I started to laugh. the jeweler thought I was nuts, but just then it hit me that people can spend up to some people's yearly salaries on these tiny little globs of minerals. Funny how we are all so obsessed isn't it?
wacko.gif

roshita

Rough_Rock
The proportions does make it look like a dog. On the chart it is a 3B. See if there is a large, distinct bow-tie in the middle of the stone. If it is present the D color will never compensate for the poor cut.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, F-SI should be right in all worlds. I would take a little Iscope with me while seeing all those pears, since the ACA charts do not have much to say about light return. The scope (a huge 30$ investment) will not come with pictures for what a pear should look at it's best through it. The instructions are for a round... but these pears have the red pictures attached and could be used as examples. Of course, if you have a lot of choices on your hands, you can just get some practice judging cut and sparkle from memory, but who needs the legwork?

Nicreaz, congratz for your color spotting flair! While my eyes are rather good (as the doctor says) my color memory is not that well trained on diamonds. I can decently guess a grade given the tools (I guess most could, even if this does not make anyone a diamond grader), but on my neighbors' hand I would be hardly pressed to guess a color grade. Since I am not focused on either clarity or color, the look is what I care about.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kathi,

Did you see the SI2 pear? I'm anxious to hear what came of it. I have an 2.07, E, SI2 (eye-clean) pear with a cut grade 2B. I've had a few unanswered questions recently regarding light return on pears of various cut grades. I wish there was more definitive information. The $30 investment on the ideal-scope is worth it although, again, there seems to be no reference information regarding what the image *should* look like on a well-cut pear. Guess that's a question for Gary Holloway.

Diamondlil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/5/2004 8:05:39 AM diamondlil wrote:

Hi Kathi,

Did you see the SI2 pear?
The $30 investment on the ideal-scope is worth it although, again, there seems to be no reference information regarding what the image *should* look like on a well-cut pear. Guess that's a question for Gary Holloway.

----------------

Well... I am not Garry, but the answer is RED. Since there are no "patterns" to look for, the overall hue is what one may want to see. There will be plenty of white and pink in there, but the redder the better. Given the cut, discussing what blacks may mean is probably futile... none or very little trace of them is to be expected. The bow tie appears more to the eye than the scope, I feel. No bow tie is not to be expected, but huge ones may not have many fans.

On this page there is a link to Bscope results for fancies, but it does not seem to work for me, hope this gets better... And here are some LightScope results for pears, related with other scores, as you can see. Hope this helps.

One thing I do with these fancies is try to judge sparkle one haf of stone at the time... no joke. Since these are not prefectly symmetrycal as the rounds, at beast each half (along each axis of symmetry) would deliver a lot of sparkle in turn, as it catches the most light. The shape of the stones (ovals and pears) does not seem to look the greatest in static position: their great quality is fire, so judging them in motion is key... for me of course.

I am hoping to hear more on these issues too...

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi AnA,

I used the ideal-scope on my stone again, and it seems to be evently pink/red and white all over with slightly deeper pink/red at the bow-tie area (although when I view my stone in natural light with my eyes the bow tie is very minimal). The 1.19 ct pear at GOG has an image very similar to what I see for my stone but the GOG pear is more solidly colored at the bow-tie area. I don't know if that is good or bad or exactly what that could be attributed to (my table is smaller but my stone is cut deeper).

I'm looking forward to hearing more on this too.
21.gif

Diamondlil

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I am so excited, reading this post Valeria told me about the IScope being only $30, so I bought the whole kit of the scope, tweezers, lens, etc...HOW EXCITING!!!

What happened with the pear? Did it look good? Are bowties common in all shaped stones?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I'm excited for you, Nic. The ideal-scope is very interesting and fun to use, but I have not had the *guts* to whip it out in a jewelry store . . . yet. Do you think that would that be a little obnoxious?
naughty.gif

Bow ties are very common in pears, ovals, and marquise shaped stones. Frankly, I have never seen one of these shapes without at least a hint of a bow tie. Mathmatically speaking, I don't think it's possible to not have a bow tie. It's a characteristic of these cuts, but I don't think a minimal bow tie detracts from the look of these stones at all. But that's because I like fancy shapes in general.
21.gif

Hope we hear back from Kathi about her pear experience.

Diamondlil

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I just can't wait until it delivers. I have gone Gaga for diamonds now, and so I am more than obvious, even when I try not to be at jewelry stores. I think the majority of them hate me. One lady and her coworkers where soon going on AGA for charts on the cuts and learning along with me. They got so excited to know Sarin's can be done on fancies, which no one had ever requested that one be done before.

I have seen bowties in Radiants, and was wondering if all non-rounds had it. Thanks. My BF sees them so much more than I do. Again, I'm the color freak. I can't even explain how excited I am to get my diamond tools. YAY! I'm nuts. Actually, after all this I want to take GIA courses. Really nuts, but hey!
2.gif

Where is Kathisshopping, I really want to know how the pear went?
confused.gif

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
Plus now at least 50% of the diamond district here in NYC knows you and you have atleast 2 job offers from diamond houses. I have an eerie feeling, we are going to be in the diamond business very shortly!!!

wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results