shape
carat
color
clarity

Could someone take a look at this diamond''s specs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rinny

Rough_Rock
I am a longtime lurker on this site but have never posted. I''m going to upgrade my engagement ring diamond (ideal H&A VS2, G, 0.66 ct) to something bigger.

Tell me what you think about this stone:
1.53 ct
D color
SI2
7.30 x 7.33 x 4.53
RB
Ex/Ex
Faint flor
table 58
Depth 61.9
CA 36.0
PA 40.4
GIA certed, they grade the cut as VG.

$8949. It scores a 1.0 ("FIC range") on the HCA cut advisor.

I have a concern about the pavilion angle, from what I''ve read 40.4 may be too low.
The SI2 grade doesn''t bother me too much, I''m not a picky looker for inclusions, my main concern is a top notch cut. This is from an online vendor so of course I have not seen the stone myself. I can order it to look at it myself but I''ve been through this before and the last time I returned some earrings I didn''t like it cost more than $100 to return them insured. So I want to be fairly sure it''s a well cut stone before I go for it. Most of the inclusions seem to be on the periphery rather than the table. The SI2 grading makes it more affordable of course, otherwise I don''t think I''d get to that 1.5 ct size which is where I want to go! Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2009 4:09:40 PM
Author:Rinny
I am a longtime lurker on this site but have never posted. I'm going to upgrade my engagement ring diamond (ideal H&A VS2, G, 0.66 ct) to something bigger.

Tell me what you think about this stone:
1.53 ct
D color
SI2
7.30 x 7.33 x 4.53
RB
Ex/Ex
Faint flor
table 58
Depth 61.9
CA 36.0
PA 40.4
GIA certed, they grade the cut as VG.

$8949. It scores a 1.0 ('FIC range') on the HCA cut advisor.

I have a concern about the pavilion angle, from what I've read 40.4 may be too low.
The SI2 grade doesn't bother me too much, I'm not a picky looker for inclusions, my main concern is a top notch cut. This is from an online vendor so of course I have not seen the stone myself. I can order it to look at it myself but I've been through this before and the last time I returned some earrings I didn't like it cost more than $100 to return them insured. So I want to be fairly sure it's a well cut stone before I go for it. Most of the inclusions seem to be on the periphery rather than the table. The SI2 grading makes it more affordable of course, otherwise I don't think I'd get to that 1.5 ct size which is where I want to go! Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Welcome!

Can you get an Idealscope or any other images for this diamond, also is it an in house diamond? The pav angle could be fine with this type of diamond, but an Idealscope image will tell us more if you can get one. It looks to be facing up a tad small for its weight but this can be a trade off with FIC's and not necessarily an issue, but it could be a good diamond. Make sure it is eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor to describe the diamond and if it shows any visible inclusions as accurately as you can.

Rinny

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei. I will ask for an idealscope. It is an in-house diamond. I agree it faces up small for a 1.5 ct, that was another concern I had. But a few hundreths of a mm also won''t bother me too much if again I can be convinced that it''s a great cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2009 4:29:27 PM
Author: Rinny
Thank you Lorelei. I will ask for an idealscope. It is an in-house diamond. I agree it faces up small for a 1.5 ct, that was another concern I had. But a few hundreths of a mm also won''t bother me too much if again I can be convinced that it''s a great cut.
You are most welcome! Yes that it is facing up a tidge small isn''t necessarily an issue for this type of diamond and if an IS proves the proportions work well then it could be a definite contender - if eyeclean also. Let us know if you can get an IS image and post it here if so.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As always, Lorelei has given you good advice.

May I ask if you were specifically looking for an FIC stone?

Rinny

Rough_Rock
Nope...it just came up that way. Hence part of the dilemma -- should i go for it because these are sort of rare? Or are they not rare? I understand FICs have more fire (color reflection) -- that sounds good -- I mainly want a lot of sparkle / brilliance -- whatever! Probably a TIC would be best but of course that''s more $$$.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/1/2009 4:49:11 PM
Author: Rinny
Nope...it just came up that way. Hence part of the dilemma -- should i go for it because these are sort of rare? Or are they not rare? I understand FICs have more fire (color reflection) -- that sounds good -- I mainly want a lot of sparkle / brilliance -- whatever! Probably a TIC would be best but of course that's more $$$.
Some actively seek out these diamonds as a matter of taste, what I would suggest is if you are on a budget and want a certain size, if this diamond is an eyeclean SI2, you want colourless and the price is right then definitely consider it. We do see FIC's on occasion here, as to the rarity I couldn't tell you personally as I am only a consumer. See if you can get an IS image as that will tell us more.

Rinny

Rough_Rock
I did some more research on FICs and then looked at the GIA cert again. If I''m looking at the right #, the lgf is only 75%. Sounds like that''s too low -- 80% is better. I will still get the IS but perhaps that''s indicative of a dealbreaker.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results