shape
carat
color
clarity

Could not afford the breakfast!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
I have pasted in some comments I made on another thread and the numbers - now I have the ring I should move across to "show me the ring"- pics to follow

Hi,
We got one, finally.... now, we did the "wrong" thing (price wise) and went to Tiffany’s and got to see about 10 or so stones in our desired range and WOW can you tell the difference looking in the flesh! I am so pleased I did not buy blind on the numbers. We originally planned to buy an EC over the net but saw and fell in love with a 1.17ct round brilliant.
We did probably pay (at least) a thousand or so over the top but it''s a delicious, classic ring and platinum setting with the diamond number and weight perfectly engraved in the inside of the setting... The diamond shows perfect symmetric arrows in very low light (almost covered up) and huge fire and whole gambit of colours in sunlight. Here is the numbers and I am trying to work out how to do a photo.
1.17ct
VVS2 (two tiny pinpoints nice and tucked away)
F Colour
6.83 - 6.87 - 4.16
Depth - 60.7%
Table - 56%
Crown Angle - 33.8
Girdle - Medium
Precision, Polish, Symmetry - All Excellent
Pavilion 43.2%

I think the numbers look pretty good but even if they could be better, I am not sure the stone would look any better - how could it, this is the stone that caught our emotion.

Thanks for the help and advice I received on this forum. The research I did was invaluable because I could talk and understand the language and where the levers were to pull to maximise value for money and get to see the stones I really wanted to see (based on the numbers) in the flesh.

And................

I too did all the "right" things and fully intended to avoid the Tiffany brand "fee" but when you get there you just gotta go with the whole experience and if its a 15% price uplift what the hey it''ll always have the special feelings around the whole buying experience. You do get a whole pile of Tiffany pedagree papers an addition to and more than just the GIA cert and you KNOW they gotta make sure what they sell you is the real deal - they can''t take a chance on selling inferior quality stones because they make such a big deal of the sorts of stones they will and will not accept. Specifically they seem to do a whole load of additional sarin checks and inclusion "type" checks before accpeting the stones in and then an after setting inspection to make sure its all still good. It could be hype but I am very happy with my purchase. I paid about $5000 MORE than I could have got the STONE ONLY for at this quality, so I look at it like this. I paid $5000 for a Tiffany Platinum Setting with the diamond resistration and weight engraved inside the setting and the Tiffany brand engraved in and a nice little box. Also you get a white BAGEL bag to walk out of the shop with rather than the blue "I just bought a silver chain" bag! What would it have cost me to have a loose stone set like this about $2000 - SO I paid $3000 over the top for the brand and the assurance, and I got to see a whole load of different stones in the flesh - I am cool with that.

ring6b.jpg

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
another

ring2b.jpg

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
another

ring13b.jpg

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
Last one....

a ring19b.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
You made a beautiful choice, Lucky8. It looks wonderful!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring Luck8!!! Sparkles galore!!
36.gif

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
well, its not very unusual (in relitive terms, you don''t see everyone walking down the road with these on I suppose) - Some of the settings I have seen on this site have been amazing. But for good old classic "cartoon" ring style - We like it..
18.gif

Externally, one Tiff ring is much the same as the next but the stone really spoke to me... and that the bit that counts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That doesn''t look like the typical 6 prong Tiffany setting, is that a thicker mm, knife edge style?

Congrats!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Looks and sounds like you got exactly what you wanted. Fabulous ring!!

cheers--Sharon

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
That is one beautiful ring!! And I agree you can get dazzled at T &C. Fortunately your experience was positive. Much congratulations!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
As long as you''re happy, that''s all that counts. And the ring is certainly exquisite.

1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I love it! Thanks for posting your pictures. I''m a sucker for the Tiffany setting.

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
HI, all and thanks for your nice comments. I smile every time I see it and I got pay for the thing and not wear it - how that happen?

I am not sure if it is the typical 6 prong setting - I don''t think its anything unusual, perhaps the settings get a little bigger as the stone gets bigger? It was definatly bigger than the standard 3mm knife edge because we looked at a simple wedding band to match and it looked thinner, also it looked fairly dull actually. I wanted somthing understated (band) so as not to detract but this ring can carry some more flash so will probably go with a channel set diamond band.

As for getting dazzled or bamboozed in T&C I probably would have been were it not for the research and the help I got here, Ther key thing was get a load (10) lined up in the range I wanted to see D - F , VS2 or better, 1ct Plus, Excellent or ideal cut, Etc and then I got to pick a few (three) that stood out and finally got down to this one on the cert figures (one had fluresence and I said to the chap - that one looks milky before I saw the cert - I was right - Is that possible? Was it the T&C lighting?) anyway, as luck would have it this was the one that stood out and the best numbers of the three - It would have really been heart against brain stuff to drop this one if the others had "better" numbers.

Any how - it worked out just fine - glad you liked the pics

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
it looks lovely. I don''t live with in 300 miles of a Tiffany so i''ve never been there.. don''t know what the fuss is about.. but your ring is beautiful.. and for some reason.. just by looking at the pics you KNOW its from Tiffany and not a knockoff.. even though it is such a simple setting. beautiful.. and if you LOVE IT.. who cares what you paid!

StatiK76

Rough_Rock
Er - Uhmm .. This looks a little different than my Fiance''s Tiffany classic. Maybe its just the angle in which the pic was taken ...

(and, no, the knife-edge does not stray from its 2mm size .. EVER) ..

Care to post a side-profile shot?

Lucky8

Rough_Rock
Here is another shot - have not got a side shot.

Well, perhaps they have changed it slightly if its not the same cause I walked out of the shop with it and it aint been out of my sight..... when did you get yours?

ring10b.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
classic........it''s beautiful!
now, how about a
emfist.gif
hand pic!!
please.

StatiK76

Rough_Rock
Bizarre .. must have been the darker lighting making the band look a bit different ..
To my knowledge they classic has never changed ...

Very nice - looks great.. congratulations!

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! You picked a great one!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results