shape
carat
color
clarity

Could I have some Dust, Pretty Please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, so I''ve been much more of a lurker than an active participant around here the last few months, because I''ve been working my tail off trying to collect data for my thesis - I''m about 3.5 years into a PhD in Immunology (study of the immune system - I work on HIV).

I have a thesis committee meeting next Monday morning, where I''m going to pitch the theoretical framework for my thesis project to my committee, and hope that they agree that if I do everything I''m outlining/proposing, that will constitute a completed thesis. This would also mean I could be done in about another year, which would be amazing.

I''ve been working so hard on this, but its very frustrating - every time I send my advisor a new draft, he keeps adding things I need to know, articles I need to read and incorporate, and then wants a whole new re-written draft by the next day (in the meantime I''m still doing experiments because I have samples coming in).

At this point, I''m so anxious about it I actually cried a little bit at my lab today, which is something I would normally NEVER do. So even though I''m going to be working so so so hard between now and then to do the best job I possibly can, I could use a little PS fairy dust to help me get through it all. So please, if anyone has dust that they''d be willing to share, I could use it right about now!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loads of PS dust heading your way! Best of luck to you on your PhD!

ETA that my 3 kitties told me to send even more dust your way from them since you're such a knowledgeable animal lover and animal friend!
5.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
3..2..1 HUGE bucket of dust launched!

Stay optimistic, sounds like you''re doing great!!

1.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Of course you can have some dust! Wishing you the best of luck ... you will be fabulous - All of your time and effort will pay off!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will blow their socks off!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Good luck to you! Sending you much dust!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 11:36:12 PM
Author:AmberGretchen
OK, so I've been much more of a lurker than an active participant around here the last few months, because I've been working my tail off trying to collect data for my thesis - I'm about 3.5 years into a PhD in Immunology (study of the immune system - I work on HIV).

I have a thesis committee meeting next Monday morning, where I'm going to pitch the theoretical framework for my thesis project to my committee, and hope that they agree that if I do everything I'm outlining/proposing, that will constitute a completed thesis. This would also mean I could be done in about another year, which would be amazing.

I've been working so hard on this, but its very frustrating - every time I send my advisor a new draft, he keeps adding things I need to know, articles I need to read and incorporate, and then wants a whole new re-written draft by the next day (in the meantime I'm still doing experiments because I have samples coming in).

At this point, I'm so anxious about it I actually cried a little bit at my lab today, which is something I would normally NEVER do. So even though I'm going to be working so so so hard between now and then to do the best job I possibly can, I could use a little PS fairy dust to help me get through it all. So please, if anyone has dust that they'd be willing to share, I could use it right about now!
AmberGretchen,
Can I just give you a HUGE hug?? The work you are doing , is so needed. I am not being a downer, but I wish people like YOU were around when I lost my brother to HIV. So with that in mind sweetie, I send you buckets and buckets ot PS fairy dust, your reasearch will help many. You know, I tear up reading how important this is to you. And at the same time, it's so important to me. That's something that makes me smile. You have always touched me in a positive way. So good luck, you have your heart behind this, so rock it!!!
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif
Lisa

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Aww...thanks you guys. Its so nice to get such lovely wishes so quickly
12.gif

Helps motivate me to go get ready for bed so I can get plenty of sleep and be extra-productive tomorrow (fingers crossed), especially since the boss wants another draft by "the late afternoon" (his words) with changes he sent this morning
3.gif
23.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, advisors. They''re all the same! Good luck, lots of dust coming your way! You know your stuff, and you''ll do great!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Good luck! Tons of dust coming your way!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good luck!! Here''s lots of dust your way!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Truckloads of fairy dust coming your way!!!You''re working very hard to lead the way in helpful research for so many. I applaud your choive of thesis topic
36.gif
36.gif

Best of luck and many hugs for blowing them away with your research
35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ton-o-dust! Keep going girlie, Dr. AG sounds fab!

cheers--Sharon

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck!!!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey AmberGretchen,

Too long since I''ve seen you. Here is to truckloads of PS fairy dust. Hang in there! Hopefully you will be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Hugs! Keep us updated.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya, I''m in year 7 of my PhD, oddly also on HIV. First, Kudos to you for being so far along in 3.5 years and to being so proactive with your dissertation outline.

Second, loads of dust! Stay motivated! The work we do is really really hard and it''s easy to forget that when all your time is spent in lab. I started seeing a counseller this year for stress/anxiety and it really helps, so maybe see what resources your university offers to you. It sounds like a little thing, but it can make a big difference.

Hang in there!

Lemme see if I can borrow DKS''s dust-loaded sand blaster...

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"use a little PS fairy dust"
Amber Gretchen: you have got my good wishes coming to you..

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone - just checking these responses in the middle of a killer long library day and its really helping me stay motivated to keep pushing through. I have about 3 more hours to finish this draft, so I''m going to get back to that now, but please know how much each and every good thought helps.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sprinkle sprinkle!!! Hope that helps and it will all be worth it once you are done!!! I have a friend who published a book from his thesis which is pretty cool!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best of luck!! hope that it goes well for you.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Oh Amber I feel your pain! My supervisor once gave me TWO WEEKS to write 30,000 words FROM SCRATCH! He just announced ''hey, you should write something on topic x, have 30,000 words to me in two weeks!''. I had just gotten off a transatlantic flight and was too zonked to object. I still have no idea how I managed to pull that one out of the bag.

Hang in there, you can do this!!! We are all rooting for you big time!!! Go go go girl!!! It''s super thesis week!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just saw this AG and I hope you got your draft done! I''ve been there (literally) as you know and it can get quite frustrating and nerve wracking sometimes! Just keep on going girl, with lots of *sprinkle*sprinkle*sprinkle* from here! And head bonks and purrs from the girls of course.
emcat.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks a lot you guys - it really helps to hear from others who have been there and know that its not just me
3.gif

I did get the draft of my thesis proposal off successfully (no idea how good it is, but its different than the last one), now I''m going to hit the gym for 30 minutes or so to clear my head and then start working on the presentation portion of things...
14.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck!!!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
It worked for me, girl- so here ya go **SPRINKLE**

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chargr - I''m SO GLAD to hear that the fairy dust worked for you - congrats
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Lisa - also, I''m so sorry I didn''t respond earlier to your beautiful post. I am so sorry, from the bottom of my heart, for what I''m sure was a devastating loss of your brother. I hope it will comfort you at least a little bit to know that the people I work with in this field are some of the brightest and most passionate people you could ever meet. They eat, sleep and breathe this work and I have faith that if they can''t find the answers to this devastating disease then no one can.

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
Oh no am I too late!!!
6.gif

Here''s some extra special dust! Wooosh bang!
36.gif

Allright let me know how it goes!

RadiantMe

Rough_Rock
AmberGretchen,
I just want to say I commend you. You are obviously a caring and passionate person to put all of your time and heart into researching an epidemic that affects others. I wish you all the dust in the world because its people like you who help to change it for the better.
Good Luck.

RadiantMe
34.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Thanks you guys. Bluejeans - you''re definitely not too late, the meeting isn''t until Monday morning (sadly, I wish it was sooner so I could just get it over with
32.gif
).

I really really appreciate all the dust and support.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
*dustdustdust* Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results