shape
carat
color
clarity

Could I get feedback on two aquamarine rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
These two rings are quite far apart pricewise and I suspect the second one is a heck of a bargain. I love both of them and am going to buy one or the other. I'd appreciate any opinions offered, especially as to the price of the first one. They both look like quality aqua stones, untreated and such.

First one, Peter Suchy Jewelers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230308846836&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

Second one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160298759787&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would really want more pictures of the second stone to make sure it doesn''t have windows.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t like the first one.

Even though it is described as modified, the cut looks nothing like an Asscher and much closer to a radiant, in my opinion. I don''t like the very dark center of the stone. It could be a reflection

I am not sure that is an original ring and not a casting of one. Look closely at the prongs. Although they seem to be three "prongs" in each side, they are clearly one mass of metal, with a thin rim of metal all around the tip. A good quality piece would not look like this - each of the three "prongs" would be distinct or, at least, the tip would have been cleaned up. You can see a small border of metal around the stone, which shouldn''t be showing (the stone should cover the seat completely).

The pictures of the second one aren''t very clear.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would pass on both of them. The first one seems rather expensive for what you are getting. The setting is rather shoddy from what I can see in the pics. (prongs are worn,uneven, the metal around the diamonds look worn) Like Ladydisdain pointed out, it is more like a radiant than an asscher.

The second listing..... It may be o.k........but I would want to see closer pictures.

I have been drooling over this ring... what do you think? I realize you may be setting out to get an Asscher aqua especially after seeing all these gorgeous stones on here, but I just thought this was dreamy and a nice price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330280235380

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.gif

aquadiam2.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif

aquadiam5.jpg

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
The setting on the first one bothers me a bit too. I've looked at hundreds of antique rings and have not seen one like that. That looks more like a contemporary version of an antique setting. I also agree that stone doesn't look like an asscher. Suchy will take things back if you don't like them.

EDIT: Wow, that's pretty!

Thanks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 8:09:06 AM
Author: neatfreak
I would really want more pictures of the second stone to make sure it doesn''t have windows.
Ditto. Also, the second one looks like it has a lot of extinction.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 11:29:42 AM
Author: Harriet
Date: 11/20/2008 8:09:06 AM

Author: neatfreak

Ditto. Also, the second one looks like it has a lot of extinction.

That''s what I was thinking too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get an aqua from a good vendor recommended by PS''ers and get an antique style mount. That''s what I would do. I''m not someone that typically buys premade rings though. Here''s someone that sells antique style mounts and I hear good things about these on the forum. I think it will also run you less $$ than if you were to buy one of these rings that you can''t see clearly, and have issues.

http://stores.ebay.com/BlufoxxCreations

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yah, I''d buy a loose aquamarine, and then have someone set it.

Both ebay stones look like they will have issues in person--windowing/extinction. I''d pass.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet and Coatimundi, thank you, I know you two are the gem experts.

I''m going to take a fliyer on #2 I think and if it''s not for me, I''ll give it to my sister for Christmas.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliment. If you ever decide to follow the loose stone route, I''d be happy to help you shop.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
That would be splendid. Where would you look. I saw that Paraiba has a few nice ones but the best ones are huge. I''m going to look on Palagems now.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun! Let me know your desired specs (colour, size, cut) and budget (if you''re comfortable revealing it) and we''ll go to town. I''m familiar with ParaibaI''s inventory and can weight in on the stones you like.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
#1 is not an Asscher, it is a radiant. Badly cut, and poorly set. I would not spend nearly $3000. on it.

#2 needs a much clearer picture, and an appraisal-type description of the stone. Inclusions. . . any? Needs a head-on shot to see how it is set, the cut of the stone, and whether it is cloudy -- because from a distance it appears cloudy.

If you aren''t finding what you want on ebay, at a price that seems reasonable, try a site like topazery.com. They have had lovely aquamarine rings in the past, whether vintage, antique, or reproduction.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is the setting I''d put it in. I like the step cut one in the picture but of course, there is not one readily available. 8.25 - 9 mm. No budget constraints.

http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/rings/r-035.htm

Maybe contacting a good cutter is the way to go.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Then call Jeff White - his Asscher stones are wonderful. There are several of them here on the forum.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a sweet colour!

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow, those are some crazy beautiful aquas!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results