shape
carat
color
clarity

Could a ruby be as bright as a Jedi spinel? Ruby vs Red Spinel

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Just received a 1.52ct unheated Mogok pigeon blood ruby, pure red, as bright as a Jedi spinel. This post also shows Myanmar/Tajikistan/Vietnam/Mozambique/Afghanistan
Ruby compared to Jedi spinel and other red spinels. Instructions are marked on the pictures.

DSC_2237.jpg DSC_2238.jpg DSC_2239.jpg DSC_2242.jpg DSC_2244.jpg DSC_2245.jpg DSC_2251.jpg DSC_2252.jpg DSC_2232.jpg DSC_2228.jpg DSC_2227.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is some lineup! Beautiful, all of them!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Landscape school is back in session. Utterly breathtaking and so amazing to be able to compare. Your new ruby is utter perfection. I am amazed at how well the Vietnam rubies holds up in comparison.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Better than a page from a textbook -- thank you! All amazing -- every one of them!

What source do you use for illumination?

The light source for taking photos: at noon, cloudy, indoor, natural light within 1 meter from the window, the color temperature is about 5600K, and there is no external light source

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Landscape school is back in session. Utterly breathtaking and so amazing to be able to compare. Your new ruby is utter perfection. I am amazed at how well the Vietnam rubies holds up in comparison.

A good quality Vietnamese ruby is just as beautiful as a good Burmese ruby, although there is a slight difference in price. It's just that most Vietnamese rubies are lighter in color and have purple haze, so Vietnamese rubies with good colors are more difficult to find than Burmese rubies

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
at noon, cloudy, indoor, natural light within 1 meter from the window

Sun overhead, roughly? (Not trying to deduce your location -- or maybe just if you are equatorial). Sun at noon in my locale is never super-high in the sky hence our need for N- vs. S-facing, etc.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Sun overhead, roughly? (Not trying to deduce your location -- or maybe just if you are equatorial). Sun at noon in my locale is never super-high in the sky hence our need for N- vs. S-facing, etc.

A cloudy day without the sun, it is scattered light, and the sun cannot be seen
The sun is not needed as a point light source, so there is no need to judge the specific position of the sun. The reason for taking photos at noon is that the color temperature at noon is close to white light, and the color temperature is low in the morning and evening. Warm light will make the color of red gemstones reddish, which looks unreal
In fact, for gemstones, the sun is not a direct light source, and the window can be regarded as a light source, which is formed by softly scattered natural light.

Last edited:

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is such a great post. Thank you for the education, better than a museum. Maybe the museum needs to employ you. Thanks!

meladori

Rough_Rock
These are all beautiful, thank you for sharing!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unbelievable, so gorgeous.

What is the approximate cut range here? Just trying to put it all in perspective. The perspective being my dreams!

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Unbelievable, so gorgeous.

What is the approximate cut range here? Just trying to put it all in perspective. The perspective being my dreams!

ruby 1.2ct-4.2ct,spinel 1.2ct-5.1ct

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a favourite? I think mine is the no. 7 vv red jedi spinel :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a favourite? I think mine is the no. 7 vv red jedi spinel :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

I personally don’t have any particular preference. My criteria for choosing a stone is that the stone must have the rare attributes of this variety, which can be color, clarity, size, etc. One or more of these indicators must be particularly excellent. The one you like is a 5.1ct Jedi spinel. The color and size are extremely excellent among red spinels. Although the clarity is average (VS1), this is also a rare spinel. In addition, large gemstones are always the most eye-catching, and the color of this gemstone is also rich enough, so I think your choice is also the choice of most people.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I personally don’t have any particular preference. My criteria for choosing a stone is that the stone must have the rare attributes of this variety, which can be color, clarity, size, etc. One or more of these indicators must be particularly excellent.

What are the special qualities of no 2 and no 3 - the ruby and sapphire from Mozambique.

By the way, although size is a factor, my second favourite of the lot is no 6. I'd love to see how these perform next to each other in the sun too :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

landscape

Shiny_Rock
What are the special qualities of no 2 and no 3 - the ruby and sapphire from Mozambique.

By the way, although size is a factor, my second favourite of the lot is no 6. I'd love to see how these perform next to each other in the sun too :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

The counterfire of No. 2 is bright rose red, which is a special color, and No. 3 has a silk effect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results