shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2005 4:53:34 PM
Author: ksomerville
He initially said half the purchase price, so I''m holding him to it. Of course I don''t know what the purchase price is, but since it''s typically lower than the replacement value, I''d like to shoot for $4,000. I''m going to ask him right now, but do you think it''s insulting to ask for $3,700 to $4,000? I want to leave some bargaining room since we really want to pay $4,000.
Well, if he said purchase price then he should produce the receipt. The purchase price is usually no where close to the replacement value. In fact, it''s not unusuall for the replacement value to be nearly double what was paid - just to make you feel good.

That being said, he may have paid close to the 4k you are going to offer.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Currently, by doing a search on Pricescope for diamonds with similar specs, the stones are being traded at retail around the 4k mark. So, at 4k that stone is no bargin.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2005 4:53:34 PM
I want to leave some bargaining room since we really want to pay $4,000.
Than by all means
5.gif
I don''t think this costed allot more than 4k initially. "Replacement value" for insurance is routinely set at twice the purchase cost and sometimes more.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
That helps a lot to know that. I didn''t realize that it was double the initial cost. I''m not sure what he''ll take for it, but I''m not sure that I''d be happy with a ring that cost around $4k initially anyway. :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2005 58:57 PM

I''d be happy with a ring that cost around $4k initially anyway. :)
Well...
31.gif

DI40X_GIA-13697002.jpg

I would have linked two pictures here, but they are too big. That one is of this one and there is a larger one of the same breed where this one comes from (THIS).

Use a nicer ring than that, and away go 4k and something over
9.gif
Besides, there are allot of different things you could do with 4k, I could not say none of the options sounds pleasing to me just because "it''s not expensive enough"
20.gif

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
I guess this just means I have some more looking to do. :) What I do know is that I really don''t care for the yellowish tint, so it''s got to be minor. I''d rather have the blue fluor that everybodys been talking about.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know. I wouldn''t throw the baby out with the bath water YET.

I don''t understand your logic. If he paid around 4k for this stone & it''s trading around 4k, why would that make this diamond undesireble? Especially, if he may be willing to sell it for 3k. You''d be getting a very good diamond at a very good price. A much larger stone for your budget.

BTW, the yellow tint could *indeed* be just the camera. I have a large I colored stone & it faces up white -much whiter than what is pictured. So, I wouldn''t solely rely on the pic as an indication to face up color of this stone. In fact, the second pic shows some flashes of color.

Again, how much does he want for this stone. It''s a pretty straight forward question for him to answer.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
I guess I''m just concerned that you pay for what you get and I don''t know yet that I''d be happy with potentially a J colored stone. I know I wasn''t happy with the color of an "I" at Costco. I know, some of it may be the lighting but I want the ring to look good to me in most environments. Anyway, I asked him if he''s looking at $2,000 or so for it since he did say half the purchase price so we''ll see what he says. If it is a really good deal than it might be worth it and I''m sure my boyfriend would appreciate it. ;-)

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2005 5:46:57 PM
I guess I''m just concerned that you pay for what you get and I don''t know yet that I''d be happy with potentially a J colored stone.
Not necesssarily. I make my living in the "secondary" market. I buy & sell art and antiques. That being said, I''ve bought second market stuff at a GREAT value. The "get what you pay for" can be true when buying on the primary retail market; but, not necessarily on the secondary market that you are buying on. It''s a different animal all together.

And, though you may be getting a J colored stone, you may be "paying" far less even if the stone was a J.

Anyway, keep us posted! And, good luck with whatever you decide.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
Yep, I meant get what you pay for on the primary market. I''ll let you know if I hear back from him.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/30/2005 1:44:56 PM
Author: moolman
Remember that costco doesn''t have the big lights shining down on you like Fred Myers, also costco diamonds are already set on the ring so it''ll also look less sparkly. I think you may have to special order the diamond from costco, usually they don''t have much in stock. When you get to Fred Myers, look at the stone away from the lights.

Costco doesn''t have nice lights?  I beg to differ.  There are three places where my diamond sparkles fit to bring down aircraft: Costco, Home Depot and my own garage.  I absolutely love going to Costco just to look at my ring as we walk round.  I''ve never found the same to be true of Fred Meyer, although I haven''t spent any time in their actual jewelry section where presumably the fancy lights are.

Costco most definitely does have perfect lighting for selling diamonds, and it''s all over the store.  Well, it is at my local branch anyway.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
Well he responded and said he is fine with a person of our choice inspecting the ring, but avoided my direct question on price. Concerns me a little. I''m not sure how I should proceed from here. Obviously I need to see the ring first and determine if it''s suitable for me, but then do I choose a local appraiser? I found the following appraiser on this site, but know nothing about the quality of work done:

Mona Miller-Smith
GG, ASA-MGA, AGS, NAJA
Pacific Gemological Laboratory
534 SW 3rd Avenue, Suite 206
Portland, OR 97204
Ph: (503) 274-7022
www.pacificgemlab.net

What service and value should I ask for and are most appraisers willing to hold the ring for me until payment is made to the seller? I wouldn''t want the ring back in his hands where it could be switched.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I deal with this on a regular basis. He MUST come up with a price. PERIOD. What - are you offering a free appraisal for him.

It''s an easy question = How mucH?

If he doesn''t - run - don''t walk away from the deal.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
Yes, I said I was willing to pay for the appraisal but that we needed to come to an agreement on the price first. I''m sure he''s thinking that once I invest money in an appraisal I won''t walk away from his offer.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2005 6:50:58 PM
Well he responded and said he is fine with a person of our choice inspecting the ring, but avoided my direct question on price. Concerns me a little. I''m not sure how I should proceed from here. Obviously I need to see the ring first and determine if it''s suitable for me, but then do I choose a local appraiser? I found the following appraiser on this site, but know nothing about the quality of work done:

Mona Miller-Smith
GG, ASA-MGA, AGS, NAJA
Pacific Gemological Laboratory
534 SW 3rd Avenue, Suite 206
Portland, OR 97204
Ph: (503) 274-7022
www.pacificgemlab.net

What service and value should I ask for and are most appraisers willing to hold the ring for me until payment is made to the seller? I wouldn''t want the ring back in his hands where it could be switched.
fyi...although I have not worked with her directly, I have heard nothing but good things about Mona...she has been mentioned on PS before.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2005 7:46:17 PM
Author: fire&ice
I deal with this on a regular basis. He MUST come up with a price. PERIOD. What - are you offering a free appraisal for him.

It''s an easy question = How mucH?

If he doesn''t - run - don''t walk away from the deal.

Fire & ice has given you very sound advice. It is not fair for this person to try to sell you something and not tell you what he''s selling it for. Get a price or walk away.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2005 6:11:50 PM
Author: cinnabar
Date: 3/30/2005 1:44:56 PM

Author: moolman

Remember that costco doesn''t have the big lights shining down on you like Fred Myers, also costco diamonds are already set on the ring so it''ll also look less sparkly. I think you may have to special order the diamond from costco, usually they don''t have much in stock. When you get to Fred Myers, look at the stone away from the lights.

Costco doesn''t have nice lights?  I beg to differ.  There are three places where my diamond sparkles fit to bring down aircraft: Costco, Home Depot and my own garage.  I absolutely love going to Costco just to look at my ring as we walk round.  I''ve never found the same to be true of Fred Meyer, although I haven''t spent any time in their actual jewelry section where presumably the fancy lights are.

Costco most definitely does have perfect lighting for selling diamonds, and it''s all over the store.  Well, it is at my local branch anyway.

Really? It sucks for diamonds at the ones I go to. Granted, the amount of lighting does look different in each one (altho they all seem to use the same type of lighting equipment) so maybe yours is a really good one.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2005 12:13:46 PM
Author: codex57
Date: 3/30/2005 6:11:50 PM

My Costco also has great lighting to bring out the sparkle of my original wedding band! I always think I''ve "just" cleaned my rings when I go into my Costco. LOL

Rebemdee

Shiny_Rock
Regarding "cut" on Costco diamonds, I emailed Costco at their "specialty diamond" email address, and still am not sure what the answer meant. I did not receive an answer as to cut, and I don''t think the lady who answered it knew what it meant. I wrote again to clarify, with, "You know, ideal, very good, poor, etc..." and again did not get a helpful reply. And I''m not a stickler for grammar, but the email back was so poorly written that I lost all confidence. It was unprofessional. We decided not to buy there, because we couldn''t get the answers we needed, and bought online instead.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results