shape
carat
color
clarity

Costco 2cttw studs

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
Another newbie trying to get some suggestions-
I had my eyes on these COSTCO 2.0 cttw studs for the last 1 year and the price went from $9,999 to $14,995. I saved up 10K for these and the price went up $5k :( I was pondering about this to my co-worker and she suggested posting on PS for suggestions and recommendations.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11536231&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|108|56641|90496&N=4046384&Mo=17&pos=3&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=90496&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC36121-Cat56641&topnav=

Any recommendations for a 2.0 cttw studs with at least VS2 clarity and I or better color and a good cut within 10K would be greatly appreciated. Also is saving up another 5K worth the COSTCO studs?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's always hard for me to find matching stones, though others here may be better. I think that you'll be stretched to get high quality cut 2ctw with 10k, though you increase the options if you drop in clarity. Are you 100% sold on VS1? VS2 should still be eye clean (and the truth is that SI1 may be as well).

Perhaps find a vendor and then have them work with their stones to find two matching ones?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what about 0.90 each for studs?

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
I accidentally wrote VS1. I am fine with VS2. Is there a big difference between .90 cents and 1 ct size :) I guess not. It's just the 1ct mind set...lol didn't even think about it.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
If you were OK with Costco's version of I color, VS clarity, you would be just fine with a GIA or AGS J color or even K. Costco's "I" color is graded by IGI, which is a lower tier lab, and thus quite lax on color grading particularly. That could save a bundle right there. Plus earrings definitely do not need to be as high quality as say, a ring. Anyway, good luck! You might try pondering James Allen's database- they tend to have good pricing.

I would consider si1 stones, and as LGK pointed out GIA I stones are going to be whiter than the stones that costco sells.

I, J, K Si1?

Don't let any of us talk you into anything you wouldn't completely love though!

$15k is a huge chunk of change. Personally, I'd do whatever I can get for $10k (probably around .90 each because of the price jump at and around 1 carat) and then use the saved $5k for a matching pendant.

LOL

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Go to idjewelryonline.com You can also contact them to make sure you get really nice diamonds that are completely eye clean. I think VS2-SI1 would be perfect if you have someone look at them in person for you. They have great customer service. They sell F-G VS2-SI1 2ctw in platinum setting for $8575

I don't know anyone who has been unhappy with the quality of their diamonds even if they aren't GIA.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Can the OP really get a pair of .90's at Whiteflash right now for $10,000? I got Whiteflash ACA's, a .90 and a .91 (they do indeed look exactly like 2 ctw) four years ago for exactly $10,000. While the price stayed the same for some time, it has now gone up. The last time I checked their site earlier this year (curious about what mine might be worth now for insurance policy reasons), when they even HAD a pair of .90's (these go fast), the price for a pair similar to mine even before being set (though the setting price was not so much) was nearly $14,000. And this was before the last couple of price increases.

I also checked Bluenile.com, where I almost bought because it was cheaper (but they only have earrings with the screw backs) and they were even over $13,000 right now for 1.80 ctw.

I've heard good things about Costco quality of diamonds,actually, if they really have 2 carats for the price stated, then I think they are better in price than other places right now. However, as stated above, they probably are not GIA graded diamonds. It is also very possible that they are not exactly 2 carats total weight, but lower (you might really be getting 1.80 sold as 2 carats after all). You should be aware of that.

Mine are AGS graded and are H VS2. Lowering the color and clarity might make the price of $10,000 possible, but the last time I looked, I don't think Whiteflash sells lower than J color and nor do they sell I1's. So you couldn't go lower than J Si2. I think there are other places that do this, like Crafted by Infinity. Depending on what you want, lower color and clarity might be just fine. When I bought my earrings, I went to a local jeweller and tried on the same size and they were J and SI2, but uncerted (so may well have been lower) and the earrings were still very beautiful.

Anyway, good luck to the OP, I hope she gets exactly what she wants after saving so long. I have to say, I love my earrings and feel they were worth every penny (and I'm usually a cheapskate), very versatile to wear and very flattering; they really pop but because they are earrings are not over the top at this size. Just was worried, the information doesn't sound right, but hopefully I am wrong and they are still in budget somehow, some way.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If budget is your first priority, I could go to ID Jewelers and get pre-set stones: http://idjewelryonline.com/noncertdia.php

Has Costco policy changed? Last I checked they sell GIA stones. Even if they don't I don't know why you would assume they're grading softer than GIA. They're no maul jeweler.

ITA: I see these are graded by IGI.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Try to be patient and likely within a month's time there will be a 33% off "sale" back to the original asking price range. There are so many "sales" iof this kind that I'd suspect this is just one more of the same. The consuming public loves a "sale" even when it is just smoke and mirrors. One thing for sure, if the price is less in a few weeks, it would be a far better deal than the current asking price. You might even ask one of the Costco jewelry managers if these earrings are going to be on sale soon... Sometimes they will provide a clue.

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advise and answers. I checked both James Allen and white flash and couldn't find any thing in and around 10k. I will wait up to save that extra 5k and hopefully the prices will stay around this by the time I save up.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Do look out for sales. Also the prices have risen but may go down. I remember when diamonds spiked in the late 70's early 80's to much more than now but the price went down (and didn't take so long either).
I honestly have heard only good things about Costco diamonds.

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
Because the 5K represents a 50% increase, I'll just throw out there that using the Build an Earring approach on Blue Nile, you can get some 1.80 CTW, VS2, I-color diamond pairs for about 11K. Limited to screw back mountings though. I agree, not quite the deal you describe that Costco had a year ago.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
dwhuser|1314746949|3005822 said:
Thank you all for the advise and answers. I checked both James Allen and white flash and couldn't find any thing in and around 10k. I will wait up to save that extra 5k and hopefully the prices will stay around this by the time I save up.

With prices going up and up, it might be worth choosing some WF diamonds and upgrading when you have the $$

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
Would there be any corrections on Diamonds like Gold?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
No one can say. Everyone is guessing.
We all hope diamonds will go down--as I said, they did before. Bigtime.
Meanwhile, are you against screwbacks? the Blue Nile I colors sounded like a good idea if you don't mind those. I like blue nile and they have an excellent return policy. I bought from them before (but didn't buy my earrings there because I don't like screwbacks).

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
Wohooo!!!
Finally I got some news to share. DH bought the 2.08 cttw (1.04 each) solitaire diamond studs from Costco for $9299. With tax they came out a little over 10K - my original budget. They are VS2 and I color with IGI paper work. Pictures and paper work details to follow.

Between, did diamond prices went down or did we get an awesome deal?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can"t wait to see.

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
Here are the details-

Stone 1

Measurment - 6.41 - 6.45 x 4.05mm
Weight - 1.04 Carats
Depth - 63.0%
Table - 59%
Girdle - Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet - None
Color - Near Colorless (I)
Clarity - VS(2)
Fluorescence - None
Polish/Symmetry - Very good/Very Good

Stone 2

Measurment - 6.40 - 6.43 x 4.02mm
Weight - 1.04 Carats
Depth - 62.6%
Table - 58%
Girdle - Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet - None
Color - Near Colorless (I)
Clarity - VS(2)
Fluorescence - None
Polish/Symmetry - Very good/Good

Please suggest if they are worth 10K?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doesn't Costco carry GIA stones?

dwhuser

Rough_Rock
They do. These particular earrings came with the IGI paperwork.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results