shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost to size up???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
My sister just took a ring (yellow gold - 2mm wide) and had it sized up 2 sizes. She said it cost $60+. I''m just wondering if this is normal??? It sounds high to me, but, I''ve never had anything sized up, only down. Thanks guys!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the store...I think I paid $50 or so the last time I had it done.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Doesn''t sound crazy to me. Where does she live and was it a mall B&M (chain) or an independent place?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Jazmine - She lives in So Ca and it was an independent place.

Thanks FG...I guess $60 isn''t too much more. My jeweler has usually charged me $10-$20 for a size down so I was just sort of shocked.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 2:33:06 PM
Author: Miranda
My jeweler has usually charged me $10-$20 for a size down so I was just sort of shocked.
Wow, keep that jeweler around.
31.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Sizing down is easy.

Sizing up is a lot more labor intensive, plus you have the cost of the additional gold. The piece you put in has to be thicker and wider as well.

Then is get filed, sanded polished etc, to match the existig piece, and what was shank material now is dust/filings.

If the band has side stones, all the more difficult, as sometimes those need tightening in their settings.

Additionally, like most services, the quality of the workmanship also enters in to pricing and time to do it.

That price doesn''t sound to outrageous, especially if the quality is well done.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results