shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost to Reset Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

forgotmypassword

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers. I was given an open heart, diamond pendant set in white gold that was passed down from my Grandmother. I''m guessing 1.0 ctw. I wanted to modernize the setting. Right now the heart is set so it has rough edges and I wanted it to be reset in a smooth edge, like a bezel. I walked into a jeweler yesterday and the jeweler made a quick sketch that seemed pretty nice. My heart pendant has about 15 stones. I also gave the jeweler 2 diamond cluster rings. It boils down to 50 total stones, in 3 diferent sizes and aroung 2ctw. The jeweler wants to cutomize the chain using diamond by the yard and have the heart attached on both sides of the top part of the heart. She was going to use the biger stones on one side of the heart and have the smaller stones set on the other side of the heart with the left overs being used in the necklace. She said it would be bead set in 14K white gold. After drawing the sketch she came back with a price of $1000. I was shocked!!! What I need to know from you all is if this price is reasonable?? It seems like for $1000, I can buy a new pendant and chain!!! What should I do?? She told me it was a lot of work to reset 50 stones. I believe her, but $1000 seems kind of pricey. I was thinking about keeping the pendant as is, and just getting a newer chain. I wish I had pics, but I don''t at this time.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can''t afford to change the setting just now I would wait till you have more money. Its best to wait and have it done once than to spend less now and not like it. Also it sounds like you have sentimental value attached to the jewelery so you don''t want just anyone messing about with it.

Maisie

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good morning Password,

It IS a lot of work to reset 50 stones. It’s also a fair amount of work to make a bezel that matches a customer supplied heart shape. Different craftsmen charge different rates for their time and there’s no way to give much of an opinion on the difficulty of the job without seeing the design but this is well within the realm of reasonable. Many stores would charge quite a bit more.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results