shape
carat
color
clarity

Cost to remove a diamond from setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indescisive

Rough_Rock
I recently decided to buy an engagement ring and when I went to pick it up, I noticed some inclusions that I hadn''t seen before. I decided that I didn''t want the stone after some thinking and was told by the sales lady that she''d have to run it by her manager since the stone was already set. From my experiences, any reputable jeweler would take back their own diamond... I''m just wondering (if it comes up) what a reputable jeweler would charge to remove a stone from a setting had I just walked up off the street.

The spec''s are as follows: 1.01 ct. Princess cut diamond in a platinum V-prong setting (prongs are L shaped and hold the diamond at the corners).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I'm not sure about the cost, but I had a stone removed from a setting (an earring) and it took the jeweler literally less than a minute to bend the prongs up from the diamond and pop the stone out, so I can't imagine the price being very high (and any decent jeweler would do this for free as mine did
1.gif
). He used a tool. Take the ring to an place where jewelery is made on site and they'll have this tool. Don't go to a standard B&M/mall type store as I'm betting NONE of the sales people will be able to help you.

Edited to add: my stone was round, not princess. . .I'm not sure how much difference between round and princess in removal
1.gif

Good luck!

Michelle

Indescisive

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the reply. It all worked itself out. I was mainly wondering because I had money down on the ring (85% already paid) and I changed my mind on the diamond. I was wanting to propose rather quickly and was worried that they wouldn't refund my money (I still wanted the ring, just not their diamond). I just wanted to know how much it was going to take me (dollars) to get out of the situation and get my money back. (figuring that it cost them money to mount the diamond and at the least I'd pay for the time spent because I wasn't bright enough to look closely at the stone before deciding on it).

Any way... all's well. I think you're right about the unmounting... it probably took less than a minute. Thanks again for the reply!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Princess Cut is a whole different story. The corners are very fragile and easily broken during mounting or unmounting. There is definite cause for concern here. Removing a Princess Cut won't be a simple pop out job. Plus you've got the corners of the set involved too, as opposed to prongs for a round. That alone may be the reason for the additional charge.

Also, is Vatche doing the work?? That may be the reason for the additional charge.
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Unmounting stones is one reason I am glad I'm not a bench jeweler! Corners on stones can be really delicate.
My favorite technique lately is to just drop the pieces in Aqua Regia and dissolve the mountings. The stones just gently rain down to the bottom of the beaker....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results