carat
color
clarity

Cost of a pre loved AVR?

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in an AVR, but I'm a little confised on pricing. It seems to me there is a mark up on these cuts? I'm wondering if I could save some money by finding a pre loved one? Does the same thought apply, that a pre loved diamond should usually be 20-30% less than a new stone?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The price "should be" whatever the seller wants to hold out for. What buyers need to understand about the balance of power in this situation is that seller has the diamond and the buyer wants it. AVR and AVC are patented cuts only sold by Good Old Gold. Just how many of these do you actually expect to find on the secondhand market??! Also keep in mind that GOG will not only give 100% trade-in allowance on an upgrade, but they buy their diamonds back for 75% of purchase price. So, to be practical about it, you should probably plan on offering the seller something better than 20% off, because a buyer in a private sale has to sell himself or herself to the owner of the diamond. GOG, on the other hand, is very easy to work with and won't write a check that may bounce.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They cost more because the cutting cost is more than a round brilliant and they are cut to very high light return standards. There have been few of them produced and extremely few have been put up for sale. I think there has been an AVC listed for awhile that has I1 clarity and that is why it hasn't sold. But there's almost no way a specialty cut like an AVR will ever be sold for 25-30% off unless a seller has a desperate need for money, and even then, GOG will buy the stone back at 75%. Buy one new and then you have the trade-in and buyback policies if you ever need them.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The other scenario that would make an owner try to sell a AVC or AVR outright is if the owner isn't interested in trading it in on an upgrade, and the price of comparable AVR or AVC has increased to the point where the seller stands to get more money selling it outright than selling it back to GOG. (But in that case, I expect that GOG might possibly give the seller a higher offer, more than 75% of purchase price to control distribution of their patented cuts.) There was a time a few years back when people who'd bought diamonds in the early days of PS and Internet sales sold their diamonds outright and made money due to the big price increases that happened a few years later.

There is a "sell your diamond" link on this page, and a seller can shop that diamond around to all the PS vendors, too. So expecting to pick up a AVR or AVC at below-wholesale cost isn't realistic, imo, because there is a global marketplace for them now.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both very much for the feedback! Makes perfect sense. Have a great weekend!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that he also has it listed on Diamond Bistro. There isn't a good comparable stone, so I am not sure about price, either. Prices haven't really gone up since he bought it, so it may not be any kind of a great deal. But if you want a K that size, it might be great!

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, this is the stone I was contemplating. I emailed GOG and asked if they had comparable stones and their prices. They do not have anything under an H right now. So its hard to tell. The GOG buy back and upgrade policies do not transfer to new owner so thaet is why I am very hestiant.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost bought that stone, but went with one from LAD because I wanted CVB to set it and I got a 10% discount on the setting. I think that AVR is incredible! Did you see the video on it? It has a decent spread, too. I think the price is great. I paid $2995 for my stone (OEC L VS2 6.14x6.04 mm.)

I went with under a carat because I have small fingers (size 4.5) If this size stone would work, I'd definitely get it. I'm actually surprised it hasn't sold.....

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info soxfan. This is for a RHR for fun. I'm really not sure what to do yet.
Ack. Decisions !

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
ChristineRose|1455404190|3990668 said:
Did you see this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/898ct-August-Vintage-Diamond-similar-to-Old-European-cut-from-Good-Old-Gold-/111824261786?hash=item1a093ed29a:g:N1cAAOSw37tWC-Gb

Ebay is risky, and I'm not even sure you'd be saving a whole lot on it. I can't really make senses of the GOG pricing.

I just took a chance and bought this stone today and coincidently ran across this thread right now! I think i got a good price (am I allowed to say?) I will receive it on Monday :pray: but am not breathing a sigh of relief until it is in my hot little hand! He's already removed the postings, but if you want to see the GOG video, i have here :love: I hope it works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQk1JT8ezQ

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaineyRod|1457710726|4003401 said:
Did you see this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/898ct-August-Vintage-Diamond-similar-to-Old-European-cut-from-Good-Old-Gold-/111824261786?hash=item1a093ed29a:g:N1cAAOSw37tWC-Gb

Ebay is risky, and I'm not even sure you'd be saving a whole lot on it. I can't really make senses of the GOG pricing.

I just took a chance and bought this stone today and coincidently ran across this thread right now! I think i got a good price (am I allowed to say?) I will receive it on Monday :pray: but am not breathing a sigh of relief until it is in my hot little hand! He's already removed the postings, but if you want to see the GOG video, i have here :love: I hope it works...

Very pretty!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha-ha I was just telling my mom to buy this

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations--that's gorgeous. I have a three stone AVR and you are like to LOVE this.

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Likely, that is. You'll keep it.

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mayk & DiamondSeeker!

I intend to put it into a pendant, probably rose gold because I thought it would look good with the diamond being a K and I plan to layer it with a Tiffany Tri-color Interlocking Circles necklace that I always wear - hence highlighting the rose gold in it. But see my questions with my photo captions? There seem to be very few AVRound pendants that i could find pictures of at least (I especially was looking for videos last night an could only find one). I personally like the bezel setting best, but I want this AVR in a setting that accentuates its AUGUST VINTAGE beauty....like does a bezel close it in or is that just a weird paranoia?

_36642.jpg

screen_shot_2016-03-11_at_0.png

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sagefemme! It is my first round diamond ever! Never liked them before I discovered AV's :love:

Thanks Neil, sorry I beat your mom to it! I stalked this stone every day until it expired last week and I thought it sold and then reappeared at a lower price and then I watched it all day long, everyday until I finally made it happen! LOL

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
LaineyRod|1457710726|4003401 said:
Did you see this?

Yes, please share. :dance:

LLJsmom has pictures of her chain-threaded four-prong basket set AVR pendant.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/58-avr-j-if-rose-gold-pendant.218771/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/58-avr-j-if-rose-gold-pendant.218771/[/URL]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats LR...such a pretty stone! Post pictures when you get it set!!!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TyTy333 - I will definitely post pics!

Skhii, you are the sweetest thing!!!! Thank you so much for digging up that post and pictures!!! Her stone is amazing, huh? I am excited because her stone looks so nice on her and I was a little nervous - as I am 5'8" that mine might look a little small. Now I have to decide what setting, but those photos and (receiving the diamond) really helps!

So to disclose, I paid a total of $2450 plus Paypal fees. When I look at GOG, while I know I lose any trade up capabilities, the closest comparison is a .92 (vs my .898) K VS2 going for $3917. So I feel pretty good about this. Not to mention, the one I got from eBay is super clean. It's only flaw is off to one tiny spot on the side and it will definitely be covered by a prong or bezel :) By far and away the cleanest stone I have ever owned (the one i just traded in, while eye clean, looked like a mini-wheat had been crushed over the top of it)!! LOL :dance:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got a great deal LR! I think it will show up nicely on a 5' 8 foot
person ( that's my height too). Nice find!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
So "she" arrived on Monday! Jetmal, I am so sorry I have hijacked your thread. Suffice to say, I am a proponent of pre-loved AV's because if you know what you like, AV's in my opinion are pretty much a sure thing. I also do a lot of internet shopping and tend to keep/like what I buy (I found my husband on the internet - yay eHarmony! LOL) so, with the research I did, I was pretty confident. But as others mentioned, they are very challenging to find on the open market because people can just turn them back into GOG...I think the ones that end up for sale, are (as in my case) a result of an engagement that wasn't meant to be and remained in the hands of the male counterpart who didn't have much need for a GOG trade-in.

So here are some pics of it. I am AMAZED and thought it might be helpful for those who are trying to decide what color stone is right for them, how WHITE or how WARM or even how actually yellow this little K colored stone can look in various lighting options! I actually really like all the various warm & white tones, because being that I will be putting it in a pendant, I think it will be really intriguing as it reflects whatever I wear or the just the lighting at the moment!! BTW I finally settled upon the 18K rose gold Brian Gavin bezel for this diamond. :appl:

img_11099.jpg

img_11100.jpg

img_11101.jpg

img_11102.jpg

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No worries about the highjack! I'm glad a PSer got the stone! It looks lovely. Enjoy!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Jetmal,

I just hope you find what you're looking for. I literally went onto eBay, DB, Jewels by Grace, LoupeTroop & Love Affair Diamonds every single day for ~6 weeks and did a search because I was convinced if one showed up, it would be gone quick.

If you like a nice "experience" though, go through GOG or hopefully you will buy through a PS'r....My experience was more effective than warm and fuzzy LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you, LaineyRod! :appl: The shopping experience can be a bonus, but honestly, I would not consider that when a specific kind of diamond is desired. Getting it any way possible would be my goal! You did very well!

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
Hey all, I finally got my ebay'd AVR set into it's pendant and it turned out so pretty! I am super happy with it and love wearing it!!! I haven't had time to take any amazing pics yet with flowers and fruit (you all are just so inspirational!!) but here are a few pics I am able to share for now :appl:

img_11641.jpg

img_11642.jpg

img_11643.jpg

img_11644.jpg

LaineyRod

Shiny_Rock
This is the best pic I was able to take! LOL

img_11645.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! that is just beautiful :love: It looks really really good.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! It looks stunning on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results