shape
carat
color
clarity

cost of 14kt gold head for headless semi-mount

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
Several yrs ago I purchased some diamond semi-mounts hoping to beat the gold prices. I had no idea what stones I wanted to put in 2 headless mounts that I bought. Now I''m ready and the jeweler says it will cost me $125.00-150.00 each for the head and the setting of the stone. Is that a fair price? Seems high to me but everything seems high to me. One stone is an 8x10 ruby, the other a 9 mil round pink sapphire. If this is high can a head be bought by me elsewhere? If so, where.
I appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Annette

SparkleSparkle

Shiny_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on your location, the price seems decent since it includes the setting and the setting labour. I would presume that the polishing and redipping price (if it is white gold) is already included?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SparkleSparkle and Chrono,
Your answers are much appreciated. The 8x10 ruby is an oval. Both settings have a hole in them, which if I understand correctly, will take a peg.
The jeweler has not finalized his price to me so I will keep in mind the retipping and polishing costs. I have never had to pay a jeweler for retipping prongs until I started using this guy. The other jeweler moved further away(Herzog). They only charged me 40.00 to reset stones in rings,, so I have had to get used to new prices.
You have both been helpful. I''ll think I''m leaning toward the jeweler ordering the peg and just setting a stone a month so I don''t feel a bigger cost in one month. Just hearing what you said makes it easier to decide.

Thanks,
Ladies
Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have been paying $40 in your area, then $150 is too much. The peg head itself should not cost $100.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results