shape
carat
color
clarity

Corrected version - please help on 2 questions before we buy this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I messed up the numbers on this post earlier, and I couldn't seem to edit it...

I need help with 2 issues:

I posted earlier about finding the following stone for $8,600:

1.37 carat, F, VS1,
60.2% depth, 55% table,
no culet, no flourescence,
good polish, very good symmetry
7.18 x 7.25 x 4.34

It is GIA certified with a laser inscription. However, as we all know, GIA does not give the crown and pavillion angles. Is there any chance that this stone could have poor angles? And how do I find out the angles if the jeweler doesn't even know? I plan to take the entire ring to Just Appraisers once it is set, so I'm assuming they can tell me then, but I'm just hoping I won't be unpleasantly surprised.

My other question is about appraising - is it ok for me to wait until the stone is set (in a 4-prong setting) before having it appriased? Can I trust the GIA certificate and the laser etching? It seems that nobody I know took their stone to an independent appraiser, but everything I read tells me I have to! Help!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes you can trust the GIA cert.
If you want to find out about the cut then you can buy an ideal-scope and a master CZ and check yourself.
You can also get the crown and pavilion angle by requestingit via the jeweler to the dealer back to GIA. They have the data but will only give it to the person who submitted the stone to GIA.

You did not give us girdle thickness.
The chances are good if the stone has thin or medium girdle, but if the girdle is thick then the crown and pavilion could be too shallow. The ideal-scope wuld then show the stone as having no white leakage, but too much darkness.

wwmnb

Rough_Rock
The girdle is "thin to slightly thick." Could I still be in trouble? I'll try asking the jeweler to ask the dealer to ask the GIA about the angles. Thanks for the suggestion!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask the retailer if he has an ideal-scope.

We have sold or given away in a trade competition quite a few lately to jewellers and we suspect that a lot have been a little dismayed at the results they get when they check out their inventory.

One guy admitted he had only 2 out of over 100 that were well cut. He does not believe his dealer any more and uses it now for all future purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results