shape
carat
color
clarity

"Correct" size proportions for 3 diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
I''m a Yank in England writing for the first time on this excellent website. My question is this - what should the ratio be of the size of the side diamonds to the center diamond on a the traditional three stone ring composed of round brilliant diamonds?

Specifically, I''ve been looking at this setting:

http://www.faycullen.com/mountingscloseup2.php?id=99

I''m presuming the ideal ratio for style and elegance would be the same regardless of the size of the center stone, but let''s assume 1.5 to 1.8 as the size of the center stone.

Has anyone envisaged this ring with a cut other than round brilliant?

Lastly, what do people think of this setting? - it seems to combine antique with the popularity of the three diamond rings.. Thanking you in advance.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
To make things a bit easier, attached is a photo from the Fay Cullen website of the setting mentioned above. Comments appreciated!

513m1d_lg2.jpg

Smooth

Rough_Rock
I don't believe there is a "correct" answer to your question. I've seen people go with three-stone rings where the diameter of the sidestones is as little as 40-50% of the diameter of the center stone. I've also seen rings where the sidestones are 90%+ the size of the center (up to 100%). Almost any ratio can look "elegant" in the right setting.

It's really a matter of your own personal preference. Some people think using smaller sidestones makes the center look larger. Others like them to be a little closer in size.

I prefer rings with sidestones that are about 70% as large diameter-wise as the center, so I'd probably get sidestones of about .5-.6 ct. each considering the center range you're looking at, but, again, that's just me. You might like something a little smaller or larger.

Perhaps you could take a trip to a local store or just look around online to look at a large selection of three-stone rings. That may give you a better idea of what looks best to your eye.

As for your other questions, I have seen many three-stone rings out there that use shapes other than rounds. The particular setting you are looking at seems to be designed for rounds, but they might be able to alter it since it's custom.
However, I think it looks great with the rounds in it.
1.gif

Good luck!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
WHOA! I just passed out looking at that ring! IT'S GORGEOUS!!!! I think it also depends on the ring size of the woman wearing it. My friend has a 3 round stone ring and the center is 1.5 and the sides are .25 each. It looks really good and she has really small fingers and hands.
So, if your woman is an average size and you're getting a 1.8 center than MY opinion would be to get .35 side stones. I think if you get them closer in size to the center stone it'll look less like an engagement ring and more like an anniversary ring. Just my opinion.

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Dear All:

Indeed, there is no "correct" ratio of side stones to center stone - I feel foolish in retrospect for assuming so.

I very much appreciate the input, and, Tanya, your enthusiam was lovely and affirming!
9.gif
The woman for whom the ring is intended is fairly petite, and, while a first time bride, not all that young - permitting her to go a bit bigger.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Pretty ring!

In regards to the three stone, one has to first make the decision whether they want a true 3 stone or just side accent stones. The later having smaller side stones in relationship to the center.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!
Personally, I prefer either small sides or three equally sized stones. I'd go for 45 points each stone.
1.gif

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I can't stop thinking about this setting! But, I can't find it on faycullen.com anywhere!
sad.gif

Where can I find it??? I'm thinking of an anniversary 3 stone ring all being the same size.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Goldenringlets

I purchased this 3 stone ring from Fay. The centre stone is 0.44cts, the side stones 0.33. I didn't want the centre stone to be prominent. I wanted all three stones to be of roughly similar size, so these proportions look just right to me. This is a ring I wear alone on my right hand, although it does look good as a discreet e-ring with a wedding band too.

platring3.jpg

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Hi Tanya:
Regarding that Fay Cullen ring - I think it may have disappeared for a while, but it is there - on the second page of the ring mountings, on the next to last row. This is its reference: 513M1D. I'm dying to know what it will look like on, since I cannot be sure it will look like the more common, less ornate, three diamond rings out there, but we may just have to go ahead and order! I guess it would also be nice to know what it feels like.

Goldenlocks

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
Hey Bagpuss-
Very nice of you to post your ring that you bought. You made a great choice, and I really like that effect 'round the diamonds - what's it called - mill graining or something..

Thanks again,
Goldenringlets

Flash

Rough_Rock
im doing a .70ct and 2 .40cts i just like the size of it

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results