shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates July 2021...please add yours.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is NOT a dig at anyone, just thought it was an interesting article, which hopefully will make people think.

Chilling. These gentlemen were fortunate to survive. I hope they fully recover.

Particularly chilling was the severity level and age range in fully vaccinated patients. Vaccination is important and necessary and helps, but it is NOT a free pass to "back to normal." Not with Delta.

Too many people are not realizing this.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am apprehensive about the so-called Freedom Day in England tomorrow, as the number of Covid 19 cases is still rising, and I personally know of friends and acquaintances who had to self-isolate due to the NHS Track and Trace pingdemic recently, including a friend who has been double-jabbed.

A number of venues that I frequent are retaining some of the restrictions such as no standing by the bar and table service, with mask wearing being voluntary etc...

I shall continue to wear a mask in crowded places.

DK :))

Freedom Day unlocking is sheer madness. Cases are rising steeply, the Health Secretary has covid despite being double jabbed, the Prime Minister is self-isolating as a contact (after initially trying to dodge the requirement because rules presumably don't apply to him), supermarkets are warning of food shortages as so many staff are being required to self-isolate as contacts of positive cases...the list of chaos goes on. But hey, thank goodness it's freedom day and we can all unmask and go clubbing tonight. What on earth is our government thinking?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Freedom Day unlocking is sheer madness. Cases are rising steeply, the Health Secretary has covid despite being double jabbed, the Prime Minister is self-isolating as a contact (after initially trying to dodge the requirement because rules presumably don't apply to him), supermarkets are warning of food shortages as so many staff are being required to self-isolate as contacts of positive cases...the list of chaos goes on. But hey, thank goodness it's freedom day and we can all unmask and go clubbing tonight. What on earth is our government thinking?

On the positive, my husband said virtually everyone was still masked on the train this morning and that the trains were still quiet, so hopefully most people will ignore the government rules and set their own, sensible pace.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo I went out into town for an informal meeting at a coffee shop, and nearly all the punters wore masks before they sat down. The staff still wore masks.

It is a big gamble, fingers firmly crossed that the gamble pays off!

As for BJ and the Sunak not wanting to self-isolate initially when they got pinged by the NHS T&T app, that really annoyed me :angryfire:. Glad that they saw sense and did a not-so-graceful U-turn!

I am off to see a film in a cinema later, and their booking system still has C19 measure in place with blocking the seats on each side from being booked. Before 19 July, they were blocking 2 seats on each side from being booked. Not that it would bother me, as I shall continue to go during week days in the afternoon when it is quieter.

DK :confused2:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo, it's similar here in the US. People are just ignoring what's happening around them because they don't want to see it. Far too many people are making the mistake of basing their decisions on the native and Alpha variants, and either don't know or don't want to know that Delta is utterly changing the game. They want to deny that what health experts have been warning - that allowing large groups of people to become infected willy-nilly leads to mutations that reduce the effectiveness of vaccines and/or make it more infectious and/or make it more severe (especially for kids), all of which is true of Delta - could actually happen. Even the CDC here in recent months has seemed to have gone completely bonkers in their guidelines, and large numbers of epidemiologists and public health experts, as well as groups like the American Acadamy of Pediatrics, are openly breaking with them. It's crazy.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure you guys know that cases are rising in Florida (but of course!) The other half is currently traveling out of the country on business, to which I told him not to bring delta back home.

We'll see.

My niece has her negative tests which is good BUT, 2 out of 3 of her kids got it, they're all under 12 so are not vaccinated. The one with sickle cell did NOT get the virus (interesting) but they're keeping close watch on her.

The bad is my mom had a 2 negative tests. didn't feel quite right, went back an got another test which was positive :( Mom is not vaccinated because she can't. They're going to do another test today/tomorrow to see what it comes up as.

So....delta is on the rise here, hospitalizations are going up, and I'm back to making masks. it would figure.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cinema where I went to watch Black Widow still have Covid-19 measures in place, and I ended up being the only person in the entire auditorium which was one of their smaller ones.

The KFC I went to afterwards still had Covid measures like mask wearing by the staff and reduced number of seating, was quiet with dine-in's who also wore masks voluntarily, with only one of the delivery drivers collecting take-aways did not wear a mask while I was there to eat my meal seated outside.

Photos of mainly younger people queuing and celebrating being able to go to nightclubs and other crowded indoor venues filled me with dread.

DK :confused2:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure you guys know that cases are rising in Florida (but of course!) The other half is currently traveling out of the country on business, to which I told him not to bring delta back home.

We'll see.

My niece has her negative tests which is good BUT, 2 out of 3 of her kids got it, they're all under 12 so are not vaccinated. The one with sickle cell did NOT get the virus (interesting) but they're keeping close watch on her.

The bad is my mom had a 2 negative tests. didn't feel quite right, went back an got another test which was positive :( Mom is not vaccinated because she can't. They're going to do another test today/tomorrow to see what it comes up as.

So....delta is on the rise here, hospitalizations are going up, and I'm back to making masks. it would figure.

My friend is a hematologist who specialized in sickle cell for several years (she has now left practice and works in industry). She said her sickle cell patients did quite well and had the expected rate of complications for their age (generally very few) when they caught COVID with the exception of pain crises. COVID did seem to bring on pain crises at similar rates to other, non-COVID illnesses. (Disclaimer: we did have this conversation last in December, so things could be different with the Delta variant but hopefully not) Hope your niece's daughter stays healthy.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I live in a state where people were generally good about masking, etc. But ever since our mask mandate and state of emergency were ended, it's like the pandemic never happened. I am 33 weeks pregnant and my husband keeps complaining that he's "tired of COVID." Every time anything comes up, he emails me asking if he can do it/go to it. I'm getting sick of saying no. I'm getting sick of HAVING to say no because he asks when he knows the correct answer for our current situation. My parents (70s, vaccinated) are coming into town to watch our daughter when we go to the hospital to have this baby. They will split care with our nanny (60s, vaccinated). I have explained to him over and over that if our household gets COVID now, my parents aren't coming and I will feel obligated to send our nanny home until the whole family has recovered or completed quarantine (which can be WEEKS from the day the first person in a family gets infected). That means that if I go into labor or need to deliver when ANYONE in our family is infected/under quarantine, I will be going to the hospital alone. I've now started responding to his questions about whether he can go to luncheons, etc. with "I guess that depends how much risk you want to take that you won't see your son at birth." Hope he gets the hint and stops asking.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is what I worry the most since my kids are too young to be vaccinated. I was sort of counting on being able to vaccinate them in the fall before they start school but I'm hearing it'll now be winter, so having anxiety about them returning to school in Sept.

I live in a state where people were generally good about masking, etc. But ever since our mask mandate and state of emergency were ended, it's like the pandemic never happened. I am 33 weeks pregnant and my husband keeps complaining that he's "tired of COVID." Every time anything comes up, he emails me asking if he can do it/go to it. I'm getting sick of saying no. I'm getting sick of HAVING to say no because he asks when he knows the correct answer for our current situation. My parents (70s, vaccinated) are coming into town to watch our daughter when we go to the hospital to have this baby. They will split care with our nanny (60s, vaccinated). I have explained to him over and over that if our household gets COVID now, my parents aren't coming and I will feel obligated to send our nanny home until the whole family has recovered or completed quarantine (which can be WEEKS from the day the first person in a family gets infected). That means that if I go into labor or need to deliver when ANYONE in our family is infected/under quarantine, I will be going to the hospital alone. I've now started responding to his questions about whether he can go to luncheons, etc. with "I guess that depends how much risk you want to take that you won't see your son at birth." Hope he gets the hint and stops asking.
I'm so sorry that he's acting that way. That's selfish to seek such minor pleasure at the risk of causing so much complications, including not having family and help during/after birth!

This was months back but my husband was getting together with his (vaccinated) friends and they were going to hang out in someone's backyard so I said fine. Then we got rain and it turned into them just hanging out in the kitchen the whole time, and I was SO pissed!

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
This is what I worry the most since my kids are too young to be vaccinated. I was sort of counting on being able to vaccinate them in the fall before they start school but I'm hearing it'll now be winter, so having anxiety about them returning to school in Sept.

I'm so sorry that he's acting that way. That's selfish to seek such minor pleasure at the risk of causing so much complications, including not having family and help during/after birth!

This was months back but my husband was getting together with his (vaccinated) friends and they were going to hang out in someone's backyard so I said fine. Then we got rain and it turned into them just hanging out in the kitchen the whole time, and I was SO pissed!

Eh, I really give him credit. He's been a trooper through all of COVID. He hasn't gone anywhere if I've asked him not to, but I'm just tired of answering the question. He actually even ducked out of a business event that he was partially hosting (he's one of 3 owners of that business) because I was concerned. I just get tired of having to say "no" when he pretty much knows the answer and knows the reasoning.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I was going to have a lunch with my BFF and 3 other ex-coworkers this coming Saturday. We have not had get together in about 15 years because we have all been raising our kids. Well what was going to be a party of 5 is now party of 4 because my BFF's family (husband, her, 17yo and 15yo) all contracted Covid from attending her 15 yo kid's basketball tournament in Las Vegas last week.

They came home from Vegas last Wednesday, and her husband started feeling symptoms first. Then my BFF started feeling off on Friday. They both have itchy throats, coughing, low grade fever. The teens are asymptomatic, but the entire family got tested over the weekend and the results came back positive on Monday, so she texted our group and said she will be in quarantine for the next 10 days and will not be joining us for lunch this Saturday. She said Vegas was completely open, and people are maskless AND not social distancing at all. Luckily, due to the fact her entire family was vaccinated as soon as they qualified, their symptoms are mild, and so far has not required hospitalization.

I will be changing our lunch reservation from indoor seating to outdoor today, and going from 5 to 4!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"
Children under age 12 could be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine "soon" and potentially within the next few months, President Joe Biden said Wednesday.

Pfizer and Moderna are conducting vaccine clinical trials for ages 6 months to 12 years, and the results are expected sometime this fall.
"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why is common sense so rare? What is the downside to bringing the mask mandate back? Oh right, preventing infections and the spread of Covid. That's the only side effect. :/

Vax it and mask it. One cannot be too careful. Let's end this pandemic already.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

"
Children under age 12 could be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine "soon" and potentially within the next few months, President Joe Biden said Wednesday.

Pfizer and Moderna are conducting vaccine clinical trials for ages 6 months to 12 years, and the results are expected sometime this fall.
"
It looks like timing for 5-11, 2-5, then 6 months-2 would be staggered. But that's assuming emergency use will be approved right after clinical trials, but I also read somewhere that FDA want to wait for 4-6 months of safety data. I'm really hoping it'll become available before the school starts in fall.

Pfizer said in a statement to NBC News it anticipates results on its clinical trials in kids ages 5 to 11 sometime in September, and then could apply for emergency use authorization. "Data for kids 2 and under 5 could arrive soon after that," the company said, adding that results on kids ages 6 months up to 2 years may not be released until October or November.

Why is common sense so rare? What is the downside to bringing the mask mandate back? Oh right, preventing infections and the spread of Covid. That's the only side effect. :/
Don't forget inconvenience and discomfort. Which apparently trumps saving lives... :roll:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don’t have to wear masks anymore, although our Govt are recommending it. In the supermarket on Thursday, I would say 99% were wearing masks, and we went out to dinner last night, and all the restaurant staff were wearing masks.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read a comment on FB from a woman who was advising people not to wear masks because they’d die from bacterial pneumonia! I pointed out that Drs, dentists and nurses wear masks all the time, and in the nearly 20 years I’d worn a mask at work, I’d never heard of anyone getting ill from wearing a mask. When you’re dealing with that level of stupidity, it makes me wonder about the survival of the human race.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read a comment on FB from a woman who was advising people not to wear masks because they’d die from bacterial pneumonia! I pointed out that Drs, dentists and nurses wear masks all the time, and in the nearly 20 years I’d worn a mask at work, I’d never heard of anyone getting ill from wearing a mask. When you’re dealing with that level of stupidity, it makes me wonder about the survival of the human race.

I think the key point they are missing is keeping masks clean. Either washing or swapping out disposable often enough. Clearly not healthy to wear the same mask for 10-12 hours per day every day and not clean it!

I also wonder what kind of things they would find just on the skin of our faces. It may be that we get the same things directly on our faces and the masks are just catching those things rather than our skin. (In which case, isn't it far healthier to use the mask and make sure to keep it clean?)

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well, sometimes nature...finds a way :lol:

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
We are in the 24-48 hour waiting period for COVID test results again for my oldest daughter. Her boyfriend tested positive on Sunday, he is unvaccinated. She tested negative Sunday and is vaccinated. Both tests were rapid tests.

She then started developing symptoms Sunday night and currently has headache, sweats, scratchy throat, coughing, sneezing.

We called Kaiser to ask how long she should wait to test again to ensure as accurate results as possible. Dr said right away. So we wait again.

Does anyone know how it works with getting Covid again after being vaccinated? I feel like I know nothing all over again. I hate this!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary getting his first doze on Saturday finally
its hopeless here
Im like most of the population and in group 4 but no way will i be getting when the govt said we would

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are in the 24-48 hour waiting period for COVID test results again for my oldest daughter. Her boyfriend tested positive on Sunday, he is unvaccinated. She tested negative Sunday and is vaccinated. Both tests were rapid tests.

She then started developing symptoms Sunday night and currently has headache, sweats, scratchy throat, coughing, sneezing.

We called Kaiser to ask how long she should wait to test again to ensure as accurate results as possible. Dr said right away. So we wait again.

Does anyone know how it works with getting Covid again after being vaccinated? I feel like I know nothing all over again. I hate this!

How long since she had her 2nd doze ?

Did her getting vaccinated not encourage the BF to get vaccinated too ?

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
How long since she had her 2nd doze ?

Did her getting vaccinated not encourage the BF to get vaccinated too ?

She got her second dose mid-April. No he was hell bent against it until now. He plans to get vaccinated as soon as he is well and cleared.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
She got her second dose mid-April. No he was hell bent against it until now. He plans to get vaccinated as soon as he is well and cleared.

Goodness
That's a while ago
I was thinking maybe she had only just got the 2nd doze
hopefully she just has a mild case and she'll be right as rain
we are all still learning how this thing works

That's good about the BF
hope he is feeling bettter soon too

How can you keep the rest of the household from getting it now ?

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
Goodness
That's a while ago
I was thinking maybe she had only just got the 2nd doze
hopefully she just has a mild case and she'll be right as rain
we are all still learning how this thing works

That's good about the BF
hope he is feeling bettter soon too

How can you keep the rest of the household from getting it now ?

I am the only one making her food, cleaning and disinfecting everything. Our younger daughter is steering clear, using our restroom.

BF hopefully has a mild case like her, if she has it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am the only one making her food, cleaning and disinfecting everything. Our younger daughter is steering clear, using our restroom.

BF hopefully has a mild case like her, if she has it.

Best of luck

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock

Vaccinated status doesn't change anything for those who test positive. Self isolation for 10 days from start of symptoms. To come out of isolation must have 24 hours without fever, all symptoms improving (do not have to be resolved, just improving).

hope she recovers quickly and the rest of you are spared!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results