shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates July 2021...please add yours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy July 2021.
We’ve come a long way and while we still have a distance to go we are seeing the light at the end of that proverbial tunnel.

Indeed, 19 July will come soon enough, as I shall prepare myself to receive an injection in each arm in September/October 2021!

DK :))

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunatly the midwest US is heating up with cases again. My niece is very sick, in the hospital currently. They had a big family picnic last weekend, so lot of people were exposed potentially, including my parents. Right now its wait and see and my parents are setting some time to get tested (my mother is not vaccinated)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure I want to have a different vaccine from Pfizer, and I don’t want to have the flu vaccine at the same time.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
With the Delta variant raging around.. I really feel conflicted about the mask policy here in the US. I really think that people should still be required to wear a mask indoors until the variants get figured out.

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Feeling a bit more optimistic about life after getting the Pfizer vaccine. I was very lucky (UK based) that I got my first appointment a week after my age group opened up. And last night a clinic near me had spares at the end of the day so invited people for walk in appointments. So I have had both. At the same time a bit sad. My mom lives in South Africa which is on the UKs red list, and where cases are spiking dramatically. It’s unlikely that I will be able to see her this year. We haven’t physically seen each other since December 2019 and I’d like nothing better than giving her a hug.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Feeling a bit more optimistic about life after getting the Pfizer vaccine. I was very lucky (UK based) that I got my first appointment a week after my age group opened up. And last night a clinic near me had spares at the end of the day so invited people for walk in appointments. So I have had both. At the same time a bit sad. My mom lives in South Africa which is on the UKs red list, and where cases are spiking dramatically. It’s unlikely that I will be able to see her this year. We haven’t physically seen each other since December 2019 and I’d like nothing better than giving her a hug.

I hope you get to see her soon!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am sorry it's been challenging not seeing your mom and I hope you can see her soon and give her a big hug in person. I am glad you were able to get the Pfizer vaccine!

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @missy and @GoldenTouch. As they say this too shall pass. And at the end of it, it will be the best hug of all time. Hope you are both keeping safe and well too.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My mother lives 2 villages away (UK also) and i have only hugged her twice in 16 months. Big hugs to you, being so very far away from your family.

RockFox

Shiny_Rock
My mother lives 2 villages away (UK also) and i have only hugged her twice in 16 months. Big hugs to you, being so very far away from your family.
You’re too lovely, thank you x

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the C19 restrictions are set to be lifted on 19 July 2021 in England, and I am particularly looking forward to restarting choir practices indoors!

I would probably still wear a face mask in crowded enclosed places like public transport, pubs and shops.

I shall continue to do my main weekly grocery shopping late weekday evenings when it is quieter - this has not changed due to pandemic.

Looking forward to the new normal, and I am prepared to receive a C19 booster later in the year at the same time as my flu jab.

>>> feeling positive!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re also intending to keep wearing our masks whilst out shopping, and in crowded places (obviously if we couldn’t avoid them!), but I’m not intending to have a flu jab and the Covid booster at the same time. Last year was the first time I’ve ever had a flu jab, and I only did that to appease DH. If I have to have one, I intend to have it on a separate occasion.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We're doing a few more necessary things that we didn't prior to being vaccinated, like car maintenance and medical check-ups for us and animals that can't be done through telehealth or phone calls, but only what's really important and always with serious masking. We still get anything delivered that we possibly can, and haven't needed to go into a store for any reason. If I absolutely had to, I would be double-masked. I also finally got my driver's license renewed, with mask on except for the picture. (My birthday (and it's expiration date) were last December, but Ohio granted an extension until July 1 for renewal, since it has to be done in person at the BMV.) I'm playing in the pit orchestra for a show starting July 18 - first one since March of 2020 - with 5 days of rehearsal and 2 days of performances all in a row. I agreed to play only because I was told that it was all outdoors and that the music director and all the cast members were vaccinated, but now I find out that the first two rehearsals will be indoors and that many of the other orchestra members aren't vaccinated, so I'm really, really upset and worried about that. I'm playing multiple woodwinds, so I can't wear a mask and do my job. Ughhh.....

We've had some social interactions with other people we KNOW are vaccinated - we went to see my brother and his wife, my niece and her husband who were visiting from Chicago, and my nephews, and while we were outside the overwhelming majority of the time, we did spend a little time inside the house together, all unmasked (but everyone is vaccinated except one nephew, who had it in April/early May, presumably has antibodies, and will get vaccinated as soon as he has his doctor's OK). And we hugged. Boy, did we hug. (It was the first time in person with any of them since Christmas/New Years of 2019-2020.) We also spent some time chatting away with some neighbors who are good friends and who are vaccinated, but it was all outdoors and standing a few feet away for the most part. It was unmasked except with one elderly neighbor who is vaccinated herself but has one son who refuses, along with his wife and daughter, to get vaccinated (and they're at her house pretty much daily for a few hours). Since she's in her 80s, so not as well protected by the vaccine, we didn't feel comfortable being unmasked around her considering her exposure risk from her family members. She also wore a mask.

We're anticipating the situation to deteriorate pretty badly with the Delta variant and with fall and the return to more indoor activities, followed by the holidays, so our plan is to get as much of the necessary stuff taken care of this summer as we can, and then hunker down and go back to the same mode we were in prior to vaccination last winter, unless of course there is some sort of emergency or medical reason we need to go out, and that will be masked. My hope is that a year or so from now, we can consider my husband or myself working again while masked (except of course for something where we can work from home). I don't know when, if ever, I will be comfortable playing for a show indoors, since I can't wear a mask to do that and I'd be surrounded by people blowing like crazy and singing. The whole COVID situation would have to be drastically improved - like, only localized outbreaks that local health departments would be right on top of, and otherwise just rare cases here and there. I'll have to turn down a lot of gigs before we're at that point, frankly, so I'll stop getting called for stuff. I honestly think it's pretty much the end of my live performing career.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I hope to get some sort of booster in the fall. I'm really, really hoping the Novavax will have EUA and be available to me by then - I think it would be a really good complement to my prior two shots of Moderna.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gary got a phone call last week ( how do the powers at be know our cells?) Saying he has an appointment for 31st July
that is after the target date my group was surposed to be vacinated ...
He also got a 2nd shot appointment for 31st August
all this uncertainty and waiting has ment he hasn't been able to schedule the flu vacine so i had better get mine

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Moderna’s next act​

The success of Moderna’s Covid vaccine has made the once-obscure biotechnology company into a household name. But for CEO Stéphane Bancel, that’s just the beginning.
Bancel has long promised that if messenger RNA works, it will lead to a giant new industry capable of treating most everything from heart disease to cancer to rare genetic conditions. Moderna has drugs in trials for all three of these categories, and Bancel says his company can also become a dominant vaccine maker, developing shots for emerging viruses such as Nipah and Zika, as well as better-known, hard-to-target pathogens such as HIV.
The company has vaccines for 10 viruses that are in, or about to be in, human trials. These include three types of Covid-19 boosters that are in midstage trials, a seasonal flu shot that began its first human study in July, and HIV shots that are slated to begin studies later this year.
In the long term, Moderna is aiming to develop an annual supershot that could suppress numerous respiratory ailments, including Covid, the flu, and others.
mail

Workers in one of Moderna’s clean rooms.
Photographer: Philip Keith for Bloomberg Businessweek
“Our goal is to give you several mRNAs in a single shot at your local CVS or GP every August or September,” Bancel says.
Now that Moderna is profitable and sitting on almost $8 billion in cash—Bancel’s own stake, including options, is worth around $8 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index—it can move quickly and aggressively into numerous new applications simply by changing the genetic code it puts into the mRNA.
To realize its vision, Moderna will have to move quickly. Competitors are investing heavily to catch up. There will be additional technical hurdles to surmount. But the good news is that mRNA’s adaptability also makes it easier to try out many possibilities.
“We use the same four-letter code” for every vaccine and drug, Bancel says. “We can scale the number of products we have in development at a pace that has never been done before.”—Robert Langreth

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Bloomberg news.

"Huge swaths of the U.S. population, mainly those living in Republican-leaning areas, are turning down vaccines against Covid-19, helping to inflate the number of delta variant cases. The virus is killing hundreds of Americans daily, and it’s hard to keep tabs on where the hot spots are around the planet. The World Health Organization told South Africa to brace for a surge of infections after days of riots and looting; Singapore is racing to counter a growing cluster around night clubs, and Australia is paying the price for failing to heed early warnings."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"
A blue protective mask tied to the chain of a swing in a playground.

A controversial study suggesting that masks may harm children by exposing them to high carbon dioxide levels was retracted on Friday.
The research letter released in JAMA Pediatrics on June 30 had reported unacceptably high levels of carbon dioxide by German standards in air inside masks worn by children in a laboratory environment.
In the retraction notice, the journal editors cited "numerous scientific issues," that also included questions over the applicability of the CO2 measurement device and the validity of the study conclusions.

"In their invited responses to these and other concerns, the authors did not provide sufficiently convincing evidence to resolve these issues, as determined by editorial evaluation and additional scientific review," the notice read. "Given fundamental concerns about the study methodology, uncertainty regarding the validity of the findings and conclusions, and the potential public health implications, the editors have retracted this Research Letter."
The study quickly fell under criticism after it was published. Joseph Allen, MPH, DSc, who studies the impact of carbon dioxide on human health at Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, called the study "terribly flawed" and predicted on Twitter that it would be retracted. His key complaint was that the study failed to account for the outside air that would flood in when the children inhaled.
CDC does not list any known risk to children from wearing face masks, and in fact, recently recommended that unvaccinated children wear masks when school reopens in the fall.
While many areas of the country have dropped mask mandates, Los Angeles this weekend is reinstating its indoor mask mandate regardless of vaccination status as COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations rise, presumably due to the increasing role of the more transmissible Delta variant.
"

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
From Bloomberg news.

"Huge swaths of the U.S. population, mainly those living in Republican-leaning areas, are turning down vaccines against Covid-19, helping to inflate the number of delta variant cases. The virus is killing hundreds of Americans daily, and it’s hard to keep tabs on where the hot spots are around the planet. The World Health Organization told South Africa to brace for a surge of infections after days of riots and looting; Singapore is racing to counter a growing cluster around night clubs, and Australia is paying the price for failing to heed early warnings."

I fear this is going to be a really terrible autumn. In my area the schools are allowing parents to decide if their kids wear a mask at school. It's a recipe for disaster with the Delta variant.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't taken the time to read through the whole thread, so I apologize if this was brought up before. As a person who cannot be vaccinated yet, I implore those who are to please continue to wear your mask and social distance. I only venture out to doctors appointments, and I was stunned to find chairs in the waiting room back to full capacity. I was also amazed to hear a vaccinated person arguing with reception about the mask requirement. I applaud you for protecting yourselves and getting the vaccine. However, you can still get and spread the virus to others, especially those who CANNOT get the vaccine for various health reasons.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our Governor is mandating masks. He stated schools who disregard this guidance are not only putting students and staff at risk but also taking on extraordinary expensive liability.

Some school districts here are ignoring the guidance and allowing parents to make the decision if their child wears a mask. Every parent should be doing what is best for all the children. With pandemic numbers rising again they should all be wearing a mask.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't taken the time to read through the whole thread, so I apologize if this was brought up before. As a person who cannot be vaccinated yet, I implore those who are to please continue to wear your mask and social distance. I only venture out to doctors appointments, and I was stunned to find chairs in the waiting room back to full capacity. I was also amazed to hear a vaccinated person arguing with reception about the mask requirement. I applaud you for protecting yourselves and getting the vaccine. However, you can still get and spread the virus to others, especially those who CANNOT get the vaccine for various health reasons.

@Diamond Girl 21, I wish I could like your post a 1,000 times.

I have no idea how we got to be such a selfish society. Wearing a mask is not a difficult thing to do and can help protect everyone.

Last edited:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Amen to this. As a fully vaccinated person, for the well-being of everyone around me as well as myself, I will continue to mask, distance, and follow tight precautions.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am very concerned with the Delta variant in combination with kids going back to school, people returning to offices, and upcoming colder weather resulting in more indoor activities.

People are acting like COVID is over. It's not.

Amen to this as well.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am apprehensive about the so-called Freedom Day in England tomorrow, as the number of Covid 19 cases is still rising, and I personally know of friends and acquaintances who had to self-isolate due to the NHS Track and Trace pingdemic recently, including a friend who has been double-jabbed.

A number of venues that I frequent are retaining some of the restrictions such as no standing by the bar and table service, with mask wearing being voluntary etc...

I shall continue to wear a mask in crowded places.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results