shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates January 2021...please add yours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NYC will be out of vaccines by next week according to Cuomo and deBlasio. They increased the number of people eligible (stupid move IMO given they didn't have enough for 75 and above) and by next week there is no more vaccine. In fact NYU, Mt Sinai etc have stopped making appointments for those eligible as they are out of vaccines. Sad. Mismanaged. Not surprising given who is in charge of NYC. SMH.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I think the issue of running out of vaccines has more to do with states thinking they would see an increase due to HHS saying the federal government was releasing what they were holding back for second doses, but then it turns out they'd already let that holdback get distributed. So there will be no increase in numbers being distributed to states. (That said I was shocked Cuomo let 1B go ahead when we weren't close to finishing 1A. I say that even though I'm so happy many of my in-person collge teaching colleagues were able to get their first dose this week. I'm online right now so not eligible.)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20210120-135039.png thankfully right now we have zero community transmission and all our cases are picked up at the boarder in quareteen

This is where the infected have flown from

The PM not really giving much away about when we will be vaccinated other than that boarder workers will be first and we are working with Australia, and that countries will high infection rates rightfully have to take priority over NZ
and the boarder remains closed

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Signed up online today to be put on the list for a covid vaccine in my county at the county health department.
They are saying it will be at least 2 weeks but could be as long as months depending on what your answers are to the questions.

Great idea Karl, I just did that myself. Supposedly my doctors office will call people as well when they have it available. I am trying to keep my eye out for the soonest possible source.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great idea Karl, I just did that myself. Supposedly my doctors office will call people as well when they have it available. I am trying to keep my eye out for the soonest possible source.
IL gov just ordered inmates to the top of the line with nursing home patients, behind medical staff but in front of the elderly and those with health conditions at home and essential workers.
I understand why he did so but it still ticks me off.
That sets the soonest they start on the rest of us back at least 2-3 weeks.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyone want a happier story ?

Now for those who don't know Rachel Hunter she was a swimsuit model for sports illustrated etc back in the day before marrying an aging British rocker called Rod Stewart
She divorced him because she wanted to go out, not stay home with his model trains :(2
Ive never been a fan of either of them (me and Rachel have the same birthday but she's a smudgen older)
But reading this she seems to be improving with age

Anyway attention all conspiracy theorists who think managed isolation is an internment camp

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reports are saying the Pfizer vaccine will be effective against the new variant.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reports are saying the Pfizer vaccine will be effective against the new variant.

Good news.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And of course one needs to still wear masks and social distance for the foreseeable future. Even if one has received both vaccines.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From Bloomberg business.

"

Vaccine tourism replaces vacation travel​

Americans are hitting the road again. But they’re not traveling to Chicago on business or to Las Vegas and Disney World for vacations. They’re going in search of vaccines.
Frustrated by crashing appointment websites, shortages of Covid-19 shots and a patchwork of confusing eligibility rules, people with time and money are heading out of town in pursuit of a potentially life-saving inoculation.
Vaccine-seeking tourists are showing up in Miami, at beach resorts in Hawaii, ski towns in Colorado and in New York City, which has received more doses than other parts of the state, as well as nearby New Jersey and Connecticut.
There is no national data, yet states that keep track suggest that tens of thousands of Americans are traveling for the vaccine. More than 37,000 out-of-staters have received Covid-19 shots in Florida, according to state data as of Tuesday. The figure excludes people who have second residences or businesses in Florida, where about 1 million have been vaccinated.
More than 17 million doses have been administered across the U.S., according to Bloomberg’s vaccine tracker. Health policy experts say that, generally, the more people with shots in arms, the better. Yet vaccine tourism raises concerns over what happens to people who don’t have the money—or aren’t healthy enough—to travel for immunization. There are also ethical questions about whether it’s right to appropriate a dose intended for a specific city or state. The tourism industry hasn’t launched large marketing campaigns, so as to avoid appearing to advocate skirting the rules.

Health experts also have concerns about people traveling for immunization.

“Everything we can do to get more people vaccinated will decrease the spread of Covid,” said Marissa J. Levine, a public health professor at the University of South Florida. “But we’re in a situation where demand is outstripping supply significantly, so that puts people on edge if they perceive that others are coming in to take their vaccine, even if it’s really all of our vaccine.”

Vaccines are technically federal property that don’t belong to any one locality, making residency requirements hard to enforce, said Levine, who served four years as Virginia’s state health commissioner.

Ski towns have attempted to limit vaccination to residents—with some success—to ensure people will still be around to get their second shot a few weeks later.

Aspen’s Pitkin County says those eligible for the vaccine must live or work there.

Summit County, Utah, home to Park City, Deer Valley and other ski resorts, said it’s encouraging workers from outside the county to get the vaccine in their hometowns, said Summit County Health Department spokesperson Derek Siddoway. “However, we will not turn anyone away.”—Amanda Gordon, Shelly Banjo and Henry Goldman.
"

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
From Bloomberg business.

"

Vaccine tourism replaces vacation travel​

Americans are hitting the road again. But they’re not traveling to Chicago on business or to Las Vegas and Disney World for vacations. They’re going in search of vaccines.
Frustrated by crashing appointment websites, shortages of Covid-19 shots and a patchwork of confusing eligibility rules, people with time and money are heading out of town in pursuit of a potentially life-saving inoculation.
Vaccine-seeking tourists are showing up in Miami, at beach resorts in Hawaii, ski towns in Colorado and in New York City, which has received more doses than other parts of the state, as well as nearby New Jersey and Connecticut.
There is no national data, yet states that keep track suggest that tens of thousands of Americans are traveling for the vaccine. More than 37,000 out-of-staters have received Covid-19 shots in Florida, according to state data as of Tuesday. The figure excludes people who have second residences or businesses in Florida, where about 1 million have been vaccinated.
More than 17 million doses have been administered across the U.S., according to Bloomberg’s vaccine tracker. Health policy experts say that, generally, the more people with shots in arms, the better. Yet vaccine tourism raises concerns over what happens to people who don’t have the money—or aren’t healthy enough—to travel for immunization. There are also ethical questions about whether it’s right to appropriate a dose intended for a specific city or state. The tourism industry hasn’t launched large marketing campaigns, so as to avoid appearing to advocate skirting the rules.

Health experts also have concerns about people traveling for immunization.

“Everything we can do to get more people vaccinated will decrease the spread of Covid,” said Marissa J. Levine, a public health professor at the University of South Florida. “But we’re in a situation where demand is outstripping supply significantly, so that puts people on edge if they perceive that others are coming in to take their vaccine, even if it’s really all of our vaccine.”

Vaccines are technically federal property that don’t belong to any one locality, making residency requirements hard to enforce, said Levine, who served four years as Virginia’s state health commissioner.

Ski towns have attempted to limit vaccination to residents—with some success—to ensure people will still be around to get their second shot a few weeks later.

Aspen’s Pitkin County says those eligible for the vaccine must live or work there.

Summit County, Utah, home to Park City, Deer Valley and other ski resorts, said it’s encouraging workers from outside the county to get the vaccine in their hometowns, said Summit County Health Department spokesperson Derek Siddoway. “However, we will not turn anyone away.”—Amanda Gordon, Shelly Banjo and Henry Goldman.
"

This is what I was talking about on the other thread. But, holy moly, i had no idea it was so rampant!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I was talking about on the other thread. But, holy moly, i had no idea it was so rampant!!

I know right? I thought of you when I read it. Somehow though, at least in our area in NYC and NJ they are only allowing those who work or live in the area to schedule. And I cannot get Greg an appointment because even though technically they are open to those under 65 (he is 62) with underling medical conditions (cancer) when I go to schedule it says not yet scheduling those with underlying conditions under 65. I actually could schedule him (a few appt slots are open right now) but it says not for those in his group yet tho the official stance is it is open to those in his group. All I can say is it's confusing and I am not scheduling him yet as I don't want to go against the rules and it clearly states not yet. Sigh.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I know right? I thought of you when I read it. Somehow though, at least in our area in NYC and NJ they are only allowing those who work or live in the area to schedule. And I cannot get Greg an appointment because even though technically they are open to those under 65 (he is 62) with underling medical conditions (cancer) when I go to schedule it says not yet scheduling those with underlying conditions under 65. I actually could schedule him (a few appt slots are open right now) but it says not for those in his group yet tho the official stance is it is open to those in his group. All I can say is it's confusing and I am not scheduling him yet as I don't want to go against the rules and it clearly states not yet. Sigh.

wow- so sorry you can't get Greg in. In our state the under 65 with underlying conditions are not yet eligible. I believe they were bumped down in the last change. It's all very confusing and rules seem to change frequently- who knows what the changes might be tomorrow. I am really hoping that they don't change the policy about second doses and go the route of the UK since there have been no studies on that long of a period of time between doses.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Governor of FL, Desantis, just came out and said that you must be at least a part-time resident of Florida to get a vaccine here which
makes me happy. My 80+ year old Mom cant get an appointment because they are all taken. I wish Desantis had done a period of time
for 75+ seniors instead of starting at 65+. As soon as appointments were not being taken for the 75+ then they could have opened it to
the 65+ seniors. I guess though, in general, the vaccine rollout is working pretty well in FL ??? I did see that Publix Grocery stores in
my county will be delivering shots. I wish they had a drive-through area where everyone stays separated in their cars.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we are so serious about Covid why aren't all passenger planes grounded?. Social distancing my A$$!...:wall:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Oh yes- people can fly and drive to other states, and they certainly are taking advantage of doing that. We have a home at the coast and I saw very few license plates on our drive there and back that were from the state we live in!! Mainly New York, New Jersey, and Maryland plates with a smattering of Texas and California thrown in. We picked up some take out a couple of nights ago and the restaurant was packed with diners indoors and people sitting at the bar. It's no wonder Covid is out of control here

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been meaning to ask, are you guys still allowed to fly into other states?

Because we aren't!!!
There are thousands of flights flying all over the US everyday. Social distancing??...:rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
European Covid vaccine update:
Tempers are flaring in Europe over scarce supplies of Covid shots, with governments targeting pharma giant AstraZeneca because of delayed shipments. Officials have proposed an export notification system, or even restrictions on shipments from plants in the European Union to countries outside the bloc.
A meeting Wednesday evening in Brussels between the British drugmaker and EU officials failed to resolve the problem for now.
As long as shots are in short supply, and regardless of who’s to blame, these kinds of tensions will flare, especially when some countries are racing ahead of others in protecting residents from the pandemic. That dynamic is especially evident in Europe, where the U.K. has given shots to more than 10% of the population, more than three times the rate of the best performer within the EU, Denmark.
The U.K.’s de facto Brexit occurred less than a month ago when the country left the EU’s single market and customs union, making the matter even more explosive. Prime Minister Boris Johnson desperately needs a political win and wants to make Brexit look like a success; Brussels is equally eager to prevent that from happening, but its sluggish vaccine rollout doesn’t help.
mail

Boris Johnson visits a Covid-19 testing laboratory at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital campus in Glasgow on Jan. 28.
Photographer: Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images
The problem for the EU is that it lagged behind the U.K. and the U.S. in buying vaccines, as well as approving them for use. The Astra shot is expected to be cleared by the European Medicines Agency on Friday, but that’s a month later than Britain acted.
There’s a real danger that if European countries that contributed a lot of the science that’s gone into the early vaccines and have the means to buy them can’t sort out their disputes, vaccine nationalism will get even nastier elsewhere.
Some potential solutions are appearing, including pharma giants with spare capacity forming partnerships with vaccine developers to boost production. Novartis is in talks with "a range of players," Chief Executive Officer Vas Narasimhan said in an interview with Bloomberg. Sanofi, whose own vaccine program has stumbled, announced a deal this week to increase output of the shot from Pfizer and BioNTech, and Merck KGaA said it's also speaking with the German biotech firm. .
The increased output won’t come on stream until later this year, however. In the meantime, the vaccine haves and have-nots need to figure out how to get along.—Eric Pfanner

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results