shape
carat
color
clarity

Coronavirus updates August 1, 2021

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just curious but do the pharmacies in US sell rapid test kits for covid?

Like the ones mentioned in this article:

No @icy_jade I wish they did. CVS has a drive through. You make an appointment to get the material you need to do the test yourself. Everything you need is in the bag which they give you while you’re in your car at the window. Then you drop it in a box which is outside the drive through. The results come back in a few days.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been out and about, still wearing my mask at crowded places, and continued to go grocery shopping at quieter times.

I stopped using the Track and Trace app as I have lost faith in its usefulness.

Glad to see the regulators have approved the Pfizer vaccine for use in younger people.

I have no time for those who complained about changes to the travel restrictions that affected their holidays - they took the risks, some win some lose, one does not have to play the travel restrictions roulette!

Looks like the big gamble to lift the majority of Covid restrictions on 19 July 2021 in England has paid off, much to my relief.

I am expecting to be offered a booster jab later this year along with the flu jab.

Still hoping to travel to Vancouver to see my folks in November 2021.

Some of the shows and events that I was hoping to attend this year have been postponed or cancelled, however, understandable under the current circumstances.

All in all, life is good and slowing getting back to normal.

DK :))

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
No @icy_jade I wish they did. CVS has a drive through. You make an appointment to get the material you need to do the test yourself. Everything you need is in the bag which they give you while you’re in your car at the window. Then you drop it in a box which is outside the drive through. The results come back in a few days.

Ah ok, somehow I thought US would have such DIY kits too. I think the SG government is planning to distribute one to every household and I see piles of it in every pharmacy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"

Moderna says boosters may be needed after 6 months

Publish date: August 6, 2021
By

Moderna says neutralizing antibodies generated by its COVID-19 vaccine against three variants of the virus that causes the disease waned substantially 6 months after the second dose.

Because of this, the company expects an increase in breakthrough infections with a need for boosters before winter.

In an experiment, a 50-mg dose of the vaccine, given as a third shot, boosted levels of antibodies in 20 previously vaccinated people by 32 times against the Beta variant, by 44 times against the Gamma variant, and by 42 times against Delta.

The new data was presented in an earnings call to investors and is based on a small study that hasn’t yet been published in medical literature.

The company also said its vaccine remained highly effective at preventing severe COVID outcomes through 6 months.

Last week, Pfizer released early data suggesting a similar drop in protection from its vaccine. The company also showed a third dose substantially boosted protection, including against the Delta variant.

The new results come just 1 day after the World Health Organization implored wealthy nations to hold off on third doses until more of the world’s population could get a first dose.

More than 80% of the 4 billion vaccine doses given around the world have been distributed to high-income countries.

"

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"

By

Moderna says neutralizing antibodies generated by its COVID-19 vaccine against three variants of the virus that causes the disease waned substantially 6 months after the second dose.

Because of this, the company expects an increase in breakthrough infections with a need for boosters before winter.

In an experiment, a 50-mg dose of the vaccine, given as a third shot, boosted levels of antibodies in 20 previously vaccinated people by 32 times against the Beta variant, by 44 times against the Gamma variant, and by 42 times against Delta.

The new data was presented in an earnings call to investors and is based on a small study that hasn’t yet been published in medical literature.

The company also said its vaccine remained highly effective at preventing severe COVID outcomes through 6 months.

Last week, Pfizer released early data suggesting a similar drop in protection from its vaccine. The company also showed a third dose substantially boosted protection, including against the Delta variant.

The new results come just 1 day after the World Health Organization implored wealthy nations to hold off on third doses until more of the world’s population could get a first dose.

More than 80% of the 4 billion vaccine doses given around the world have been distributed to high-income countries.

"

I got my second Moderna just about 6 months ago, I hope they'll let me get a booster soon since I'm public facing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my second Moderna just about 6 months ago, I hope they'll let me get a booster soon since I'm public facing!

Yeah I hope you can get it before you start your school term in autumn. Instead of going to waste let’s use the vaccines. I’m with daisy. Let’s give the people who want them the vaccines and ship the rest to countries in need. Where people actually want them.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fingers crossed for you @Arcadian !

Could you get some at-home tests sonyiu could have an indicator while you wait for the official test?

They are around 5€ where I live and are supposed to be pretty accurate once one has symptoms.

I checked pharmacy websites but didn't seem to find anything like that. I saw tests on Amazon but there's a few things you don't trust from there...lol

Another neice of mine and her family just came into Orlando. She called me and let me know they made it safe. I told her sunscreen and masks. I worry about them especially the kiddos.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked pharmacy websites but didn't seem to find anything like that. I saw tests on Amazon but there's a few things you don't trust from there...lol
CVS has them on their site and they are in my local store. You could check on their site for your zip code. They also sell rapid tests

10194804-6A60-4EA6-91F2-746E6C23313E.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian Keeping my fingers crossed for you! The waiting to be tested would drive me nuts. Keep us posted.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We were able to purchase the BinaxNow tests from the Walgreens but us in Florida. CVS also stocks them, but they were sold out. Our pharmacies also ran out of the free pcr/rapid covid tests, so purchasing over the counter was the only option. It was really convenient and the tests showed the results in 15 minutes. You can also buy the tests from Sam's club!

If not for my husband losing his sense of taste and smell and then testing positive, I would have assumed we both had colds. Our best guess is we got it from the grocery store, since everything else we do is outdoors.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

By

This is old news. I predicted 4 months ago that a booster shot is coming in the fall.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is old news. I predicted 4 months ago that a booster shot is coming in the fall.

I think most of us expected to get boosters. So what. I get a flu shot every year. I expect I'll be getting Covid shots/boosters every year too. I don't see that as a big deal if it keeps me from hospitalization or dying.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We all knew this was coming. Just sharing updated info.

Like @Lookinagain wrote, it’s a very small price to pay for safety from Covid and variants.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CVS has them on their site and they are in my local store. You could check on their site for your zip code. They also sell rapid tests

10194804-6A60-4EA6-91F2-746E6C23313E.png

you guys have all the luck.

If you're close to an airport or port (I'm both) it can be near impossible especially as numbers are rising.

I'm OK, my symptoms are not life threatening through they have gotten a little worse; I coughed all night last night and was freezing cold. throat hurts like a mothereffer this morning. my head hurts like you wouldn't believe and yes friends, I'm nauseous.

I had the option of someone coming to my house to test me or, just go in. I opted to go in.

My appt is 11:30. I'll let you know how it goes.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another neice of mine and her family just came into Orlando. She called me and let me know they made it safe. I told her sunscreen and masks. I worry about them especially the kiddos.

I'm sorry, Arcadian. Your a wonderful aunt to be caring about them! We cannot change others, I hope they'll be fine

Regarding the tests:

Here they're everywhere from.pharmacies to supermarkets ... Around 5€ /piece.

My sister works for one of the biggest and most trusted certification companies and specifically recommended the brand " Boson Biotech". I have no clue though, if those are available internationally... But if you happen to stumble upon that brand on amazon it's maybe worth a try.

My sister is very careful AND a scientist and working for a certification company. So she agreed to self test every day for a while as an experiment for her company while remotely working. Unfortunately for her she caught Covid during that period ( in spite of the remote work of her & hubby & pick up grocery shopping and no contact to friends other than outside and KN 95 masked & distanced. We're pretty sure she got it at a doctor's office). The self test showed the same results than her PCR tests

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm back from getting tested AND urgent care.

Being in the study has some perks! I will get my test results in about 24-48 hours.

I will have to do this guy daily (spit vials)
20210809_133613[1].jpg As they don't want me to leave the house, they will have a courier service come pick it up every few days.

I've showed this kit once before, which has thermometer and pulse oximeter. Ox is low but not scarily so.

Both the nurse practitioner at the Research place and the Dr at urgent care have said my lungs sound "tight" . I was prescribed meds (steriod and antibiotic) I have also gotten another script for albuterol liquid for my machine.

To those in real hot spot areas, watch yourself well.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm back from getting tested AND urgent care.

Being in the study has some perks! I will get my test results in about 24-48 hours.

I will have to do this guy daily (spit vials)
20210809_133613[1].jpg As they don't want me to leave the house, they will have a courier service come pick it up every few days.

I've showed this kit once before, which has thermometer and pulse oximeter. Ox is low but not scarily so.

Both the nurse practitioner at the Research place and the Dr at urgent care have said my lungs sound "tight" . I was prescribed meds (steriod and antibiotic) I have also gotten another script for albuterol liquid for my machine.

To those in real hot spot areas, watch yourself well.

I hope whatever it is @Arcadian..you get over it soon. What number did they tell you to watch for concerning your ox level?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope whatever it is @Arcadian..you get over it soon. What number did they tell you to watch for concerning your ox level?

under 95. If I just can't breathe regardless they want me to go and not keep to a set number.

For me being an asthmatic, I know when stuff is about to crap the bed so I don't rely on that as an indicator.

My lungs are on fire right now but I can breathe OK (I get a little winded). That might worry some, but Its something I'm used to feeling.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
under 95. If I just can't breathe regardless they want me to go and not keep to a set number.

For me being an asthmatic, I know when stuff is about to crap the bed so I don't rely on that as an indicator.

My lungs are on fire right now but I can breathe OK (I get a little winded). That might worry some, but Its something I'm used to feeling.

Get well soon
We are all wishing you well and are worried about you
Take it easy

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So back in January boarder workers were in the first group to get the vacine yet
its now flamming August!

This is the next big centre north from here up the west coast of the North Island
My work is on the highway leaving town
We get a ton of Taranaki peeps stopping to buy lunch every day

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

You should get your results tomorrow, right? I hope you turn the corner soon..:pray:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

I have been told that Walmart has rapid test kits. I have not personally checked it out.

Edited: Oops, sorry, I see that you already have taken a test. Fingers crossed for your speedy recovery.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The latest​

The coronavirus pandemic has evolved — it's now a pandemic of the more transmissible delta variant, as a team of Health and Science reporters write. Their profile of the variant reveals it to be a “Goldilocks virus,” as one scientist described it: Delta's success has depended on many things tilting just right in its favor.
Delta has wiped out virtually all other forms of the virus, which experts attribute to changed human behavior as well as advantageous mutations that the variant itself has. "To see delta just running laps around these other strains is very concerning,” another virologist told The Post. “It’s like ‘Jurassic Park,’ the moment you realize the dinosaurs have all got loose again.”
Even in the face of delta's threat, about 30 percent of U.S. residents 12 and older have not yet had a vaccine dose. And shrinking that proportion of holdouts hasn't been easy. But one effort, the Health Center COVID-19 Vaccine Program, has made a dent, according to data shared with The Washington Post. Through that program, federally-funded community health centers have given 14 million shots, including 9 million to minority patients.
The consequences of vaccination can literally be life or death. Six unvaccinated members of a church in Jacksonville died within two weeks. Four of those were younger than 35. Prompted by the deaths of those parishioners, a bishop at the Florida church started a vaccine drive after Sunday service. “I know that these people would still be here had they gotten the shot,” said the cleric George L. Davis.
Immunization campaigns aimed at the young and unvaccinated are refining their incentives. In addition to swag or jackpots, some countries are offering experiences as encouragement to get shots. In the United Kingdom, that means free vaccines at nightclubs. New Zealand is combining a vaccine clinic with a music festival. In Romania, shots are the entry to a castle with a vampiric aesthetic. (Germany, meanwhile, is giving away bratwursts.)
Many Australians, bored in lockdown, became obsessed with the Tokyo Olympics. But that diversion for at-home Australians has vanished now that the summer games are over. A “general malaise” has seeped in to replace it, said one Sydney resident; his city has been under lockdown orders since late June.

Other important news​

A Washington Post-Schar School poll found that 4 in 10 Americans plan to continue wearing masks in crowds after the pandemic.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is waging war on vaccine and mask requirements in his state, but the legal challenges are mounting.
After Arizona banned mask mandates in schools, this doctor wrote a viral Twitter thread accusing the state of destroying the ability to keep her kids safe.
Anti-mask parents forced a North Carolina school board into recess because the board required unvaccinated students and teachers to wear masks.
In anticipation of the 2022 midterm elections, some Democrats are more pointedly blaming Republicans for the nationwide spike in cases.​

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian hoping you are feeling much better today and that you have a fast and complete recovery.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys, your support really does matter.

@MamaBee today starts the countdown for results, if they miss today then For sure tomorrow. I got my last vax in February so I'm a little anxious considering all we're hearing on the news.

Last night I started on Methylprednisone and zPak and use the nebulizer (I normally don't use it, which is why I didn't have the albuterol for it). The deep burn in my lungs has lessened and thats always good! They still feel like there's a couple of bricks in there but that burning is not the business friends! I'll take what I can get.

But I'm still tired, feel like my brain is only half there, and that walk this morning with the dogs was just plain bad (we only walk half mile, there was no way I could do the full loop)

Ox was better than it was yesterday (97!) Yesterday I was 95 dead on.

But man I sweat like you wouldn't believe last night. UGH!! Pretty sure I had a low grade fever.

Anyway its a day off from work for me. I'll be puttering around the house and I may actually watch some daytime tv :oops2::lol:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness @Arcadian it sure sounds like you have it! :cry2: Good luck today and please take care of yourself. Rest and watch that daytime TV!! Sending warm healing vibes across the miles. ❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys, your support really does matter.

@MamaBee today starts the countdown for results, if they miss today then For sure tomorrow. I got my last vax in February so I'm a little anxious considering all we're hearing on the news.

Last night I started on Methylprednisone and zPak and use the nebulizer (I normally don't use it, which is why I didn't have the albuterol for it). The deep burn in my lungs has lessened and thats always good! They still feel like there's a couple of bricks in there but that burning is not the business friends! I'll take what I can get.

But I'm still tired, feel like my brain is only half there, and that walk this morning with the dogs was just plain bad (we only walk half mile, there was no way I could do the full loop)

Ox was better than it was yesterday (97!) Yesterday I was 95 dead on.

But man I sweat like you wouldn't believe last night. UGH!! Pretty sure I had a low grade fever.

Anyway its a day off from work for me. I'll be puttering around the house and I may actually watch some daytime tv :oops2::lol:

@Arcadian It sounds like you’re on the mend! That’s such great news! My fingers and toes are still crossed. Enjoy your tv shows..haha Big hugs..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results