Buy this sapphire?

• Yes

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Does he take consignment? That would totally change the best game plan, in these situations.

Probably if I buy both stones from him. Didn’t discuss in more detail with him. He did warn me that it could take months or years to sell if I want to use that option.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably if I buy both stones from him. Didn’t discuss in more detail with him. He did warn me that it could take months or years to sell if I want to use that option.

I think that is just him being responsible and letting you know the pros and cons. It is still not 100% hassle free though, so would probably be better to just hold out a little longer. Also honestly if it constrains you to buy the upgrade from him later, then this approach definitely has its cons. If you are looking for a needle in a hay stack then it is bad news to start only searching one hay stack for forever :lol-2:.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade if you're ok w/working with a Chinese vendor, saw this 3ct intense cornflower one recently in my WeChat feed:

If you're interested, seller's WeChat is yanlixue.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhh, you know Wriston's jadeite ring? It's 18K sgd. I asked him. Not that I need another jadeite. But if anyone looking, that is the price. 18K sgd.

1571446049170.png

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhh, you know Wriston's jadeite ring? It's 18K sgd. I asked him. Not that I need another jadeite. But if anyone looking, that is the price. 18K sgd.

1571446049170.png

Did you ask him to set a spinel for you?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So pretty! How will you set it?
20191004_184621.jpg 20191004_184649.jpg
This sapphire is now in my possession =)2. After Icy decided that this was not the stone for her, I went to have a look. The colour was very nice (and by then, certed as unheated cornflower blue by the local lab NGI). The window was there but I felt could be reduced (with the right setting) such that it would not bother me. Price was decent and within my budget and so I bought it. Yay...My first blue sapphire. Now my next project it to get it set:))

YC

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty! How will you set it?
Thank you! I intend to set it as a ring and will look for a ready made setting, via my jeweller. I like lots of bling bling and so will probably go for a double halo. Other than that, I do not really have very much idea at the moment. It depends on what catches my eye when I view them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is beautiful. The windows exist. They are problematic only if there is very little color around, and yours has a lot.

I once rejected a sapphire with a window, of a beautiful color and size, and still regret it.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
The color is beautiful. The windows exist. They are problematic only if there is very little color around, and yours has a lot.

I once rejected a sapphire with a window, of a beautiful color and size, and still regret it.

Argh I hope I don’t. But anyway my jeweller has found another cornflower blue (with a window). Being certified so I haven’t seen it

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Did you ask him to set a spinel for you?

No. It was not one spinel. Just a couple of things.

Oh, you have this trilliant cut spinel. (trillion trilliam trillian...I can't seem to get it right and I don't care).

Anyway, does Wriston have standard settings with that shape?

I don't know what to do with mine. Standard settings. Not custom ones.

Last edited:

YC

Brilliant_Rock

The one that got away? I understand the feeling.
This stone is not perfect but I am not as bothered with the window as IcyJade is. Plus, I am not too keen to pay the premium to get the perfectly cut stone.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
No. It was not one spinel. Just a couple of things.

Oh, you have this trilliant cut spinel. (trillion trilliam trillian...I can't seem to get it right and I don't care).

Anyway, does Wriston have standard settings with that shape?

I don't know what to do with mine. Standard settings. Not custom ones.

I’ve only seen the one I posted some time ago where he said look like Superman logo. I think for mine I will go custom.

But it really depends on what the vendors bring. I’m also waiting...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Ok saw another 5 carat potentially cornflower but lighter toned than @YC sapphire and didn’t make my heart flutter. So no despite good size, unheated and Sri Lanka origin etc.

FF15DB76-0724-4C0C-8844-8C4D9F047E9A.jpeg 67BF5A2D-D649-418A-BD52-9C9AFF6B7E89.jpeg 855AB2CF-DE80-472B-9AF2-F56B110824A0.jpeg 03F5A6D5-BBAF-4130-B329-EF051604A7C5.jpeg

Color isn’t bad just not my cup of tea. Maybe just no chemistry with the stone

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Colour is lovely, but it looks a bit meh in the setting which is a total surprise. The window is also somehow not less pronounced, despite being a lot smaller.

Did you try it in any other settings, as maybe that one just wasn't the right one (something super odd about the fact that all the previous stones have looked better sitting in the semi mount than they did lose. But this one looks worse)?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Colour is lovely, but it looks a bit meh in the setting which is a total surprise. The window is also somehow not less pronounced, despite being a lot smaller.

Did you try it in any other settings, as maybe that one just wasn't the right one (something super odd about the fact that all the previous stones have looked better sitting in the semi mount than they did lose. But this one looks worse)?

That was a earring setting and the only one that really fit. The only other setting that was big enough is for a cushion so it looked odd in that. So I didn’t dare to take out and try against my hand. Maybe it’s in the box that’s why?

Window definitely isn’t too bad vs the previous stone but I realized that I prefer a slightly darker (or is it a more vibrant) cornflower shade. Price is very good.

You can msg him to ask about it if you are interested. Not sure but I think he might send to NGI to cert instead of returning the stone as he thought the price is very good if NGI agrees to cornflower.

I was soooooooo disappointed that still can’t find “the one” but no fluttery heart means no go. Sigh.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That was a earring setting and the only one that really fit. The only other setting that was big enough is for a cushion so it looked odd in that. So I didn’t dare to take out and try against my hand. Maybe it’s in the box that’s why?

Window definitely isn’t too bad vs the previous stone but I realized that I prefer a slightly darker (or is it a more vibrant) cornflower shade. Price is very good.

You can msg him to ask about it if you are interested. Not sure but I think he might send to NGI to cert instead of returning the stone as he thought the price is very good if NGI agrees to cornflower.

I was soooooooo disappointed that still can’t find “the one” but no fluttery heart means no go. Sigh.

Yes maybe it is just the contrast in colour to the last stone (which was much more intense). In any case it is clear this isn't the one, so better to keep looking!

Thanks but I am in shenzhen, and not coming back for a week or so. And would not like to hold him up, unless I was super enthused about buying it.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell if it's color zoning or the lighting but looks paler at 6 o'clock.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
20191124_100251.jpg 20191124_100210.jpg
I went shopping for settings with IcyJade and selected this double halo ring for the blue sapphire. I realised that I do love large halos, esp double halos!! Asking Wriston to place a metallic backing under the stone to reflect more light. The window is very obvious on my photo (new HP with a much better camera:rolleyes:).

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little metallic disc covers a window really well @YC

It worked perfectly for me so I suspect you won't be seeing it after it's set.

Love love love your pink spinels!!! Can't wait to see them!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I went shopping for settings with IcyJade and selected this double halo ring for the blue sapphire. I realised that I do love large halos, esp double halos!! Asking Wriston to place a metallic backing under the stone to reflect more light. The window is very obvious on my photo (new HP with a much better camera:rolleyes:).

Yea I also realized that your halo taste/preferences has evolved quite a bit lol. Mine also. Boring ones just don’t really make the cut any more. But am still not there for earrings yet haha. I think I will feel very self conscious with elaborate earrings.

Still lusting over the lovely diamond choker design sigh.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That window is really so very minor considering this color, it could be a deterrent if it did not close up so well in a setting but it does and you will only wear this set so I think it really does not matter. It is just that we have serious OCD but most people either do not care or even notice and we have to understand that beauty does not equal “perfection”especially in CS. Add to that if it really is unheated, wow. Just talking in general cut is good, so many CS are much worse.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That window is really so very minor considering this color, it could be a deterrent if it did not close up so well in a setting but it does and you will only wear this set so I think it really does not matter. It is just that we have serious OCD but most people either do not care or even notice and we have to understand that beauty does not equal “perfection”especially in CS. Add to that if it really is unheated, wow. Just talking in general cut is good, so many CS are much worse.

I know... sadly am very OCD about windows, especially asymmetric ones with wonky bottoms. I think am less OCD when the window and bottom is quite centered if setting can probably close it up.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
@Sunstorm, I concur, esp your statement about beauty not equating perfection for CS. Having said that, for the more readily available and less pricy stones, I do try to aim for perfection since that is more easily achieved.

@mellowyellowgirl, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will work. Will post photos to show you all once I collect it.

@icy_jade, yes... the good thing is that these settings manufacturers are much more creative in their designs than I can ever be so I am more than happy to buy these ready-made settings.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@YC congrats on getting the stone!!!

I guess this is personal but I am a no heat snob so to me that together with the life and color of the stone was worth a bit of a window. But again this is subjective, I just like as little treatment on any stone as possible.

Sometimes I am just floored when heated rubies 3-4 cts go for well over 100K the stone. Even if lively and very nice, it is Still heated!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! I think it'll look amazing once set, and with that amount of sparkle I doubt you'll notice the window.

Reactions: YC

voce

Ideal_Rock
Congrats @YC I think you should make a thread for it after it's set. (I'm having trouble inserting smilies when I pay from my phone for some reason. <3 the settings you chose. They'll set off your gems nicely.)

Reactions: YC

YC

Brilliant_Rock
20191128_173248.jpg
Collected the ring. I am very happy with it . I can kind of see the window but at least some light is reflected back and it appears blue, not a dark patch.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results