shape
carat
color
clarity

Cordless Stick Vacuum

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I just started my search for a cordless stick vacuum and was hoping to get some recommendations :)

I am hoping to find one that is powerful, light weight and not top heavy-I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions TIA!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how the Dyson works, but with my type of arthritis, I'm almost completely useless with it because of course it is top heavy. It works great though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have pets and was looking to get a Shark as it has good reviews and sponsors cat and dog charities that I support.

However since I don't do my own cleaning (hate it, so I have help instead), I can't justify spending a lot of money on one just for the campervan and the car.

So I bought a small hand-held one from Shark instead, and it is great for a quick tidy up (battery power is not great, only about 8min each, however the model came with 2 batteries) and to suck up spiders from the ceiling.

DK :))

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We also have a Shark. It doesn't compare to the Dyson though, except that it is corded, so it lasts longer. I'm just no good with vacuums. No wrist strength left at all.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Dyson! We have a v10 Animal and also an older model - both work really well but the newer one definitely holds it’s charge better. Sooo much easier than lugging a heavy, plug-in model around and it’s embarrassing how much pet fur it sucks out of seemingly nowhere.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We also have a Shark. It doesn't compare to the Dyson though, except that it is corded, so it lasts longer. I'm just no good with vacuums. No wrist strength left at all.

Lots of my family have arthritis - it’s very restrictive, but I hope you’re not too uncomfortable with it. Some of the robot models are getting good now. We have one and it’s fine for single rooms but the battery life is frustratingly short. It could take pressure off your wrists for quick tidy ups though?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a old plug in and 2 cordless ( V8 and V10) one handheld. I love Dyson products.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I love my Dyson. I have a few different models but the V11 is my favorite. Runs for a long time on a charge and is light and powerful. We have 4 cats and it really sucks up the cat hair well.

@missy We have always had Dyson uprights and loved them, but I would like a cordless for the stairs as we have 7 fur babies and this is a daily requirement, may I ask what model of the V11 you own and love?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I love how the Dyson works, but with my type of arthritis, I'm almost completely useless with it because of course it is top heavy. It works great though.

I am sorry to hear that the Dyson is a challenge to use with your arthritis, having you mention it being top heavy is one thing I am hoping to avoid. We also have a small Shark that I use for the stairs, but am hoping to avoid a corded version.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy We have always had Dyson uprights and loved them, but I would like a cordless for the stairs as we have 7 fur babies and this is a daily requirement, may I ask what model of the V11 you own and love?

We have this one. It’s great.
The Dyson V11 Outsize cordless vacuum.

I only use cordless vacuums. I also have the V10 and a few older models. All great but the later ones hold a charge longer.

The older Dyson cordless is much lighter but only holds a charge for like 15 minutes. The V11 is a bit heavier but still light enough for me. I vacuum daily. The entire house.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
We have this one. It’s great.
The Dyson V11 Outsize cordless vacuum.

I only use cordless vacuums. I also have the V10 and a few older models. All great but the later ones hold a charge longer.

The older Dyson cordless is much lighter but only holds a charge for like 15 minutes. The V11 is a bit heavier but still light enough for me. I vacuum daily. The entire house.

@missy May I ask if it has an on/off switch or if you have to hold a button down for it to keep running?

Last edited:

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
It seems as though Dyson is the way to go, thanks for the suggestions :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@missy Ugh-that is a bummer, I was hopping the new version would have a switch since I will likely move to use it for the entire house.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a Dyson cordless vacuum in May and love it. I had just purchased a corded Dyson Animal vacuum in Oct but lugging it around the house was hard. A cordless vacuum is so much easier.
For some reason My Dyson cordless vacuum stopped working last month after only having it for 2 months and just wouldn’t turn on. Dyson sent me a new battery but it still didn’t work.
I contacted them and they asked me to send them my vacuum 2 weeks ago and I just received the replacement today.
They sent me a brand new vacuum instead of fixing the one I sent back, plus they sent me all the attachments again. So essentially I now have two sets of attachments which is good I guess because I will leave a set upstairs instead of running back and forth.
I honestly can’t wait to use it. I have the V11 Torque.
I am even thinking of buying another one for upstairs but I have the corded vacuum already upstairs. I guess I can use that one in the basement if I do buy another one.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Ugh-that is a bummer, I was hopping the new version would have a switch since I will likely move to use it for the entire house.
I don't think you can do the entire house on a single charge? . We have the V10 our daughters have the V11, so I don't really how long a single charge will last on the V11.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think you can do the entire house on a single charge? . We have the V10 our daughters have the V11, so I don't really how long a single charge will last on the V11.

I vacuum our house (3500 sq feet) on a single charge with the V11. I can’t vacuum the entire house on a single charge with the earlier Dyson models though. But the new one is amazing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a Dyson cordless vacuum in May and love it. I had just purchased a corded Dyson Animal vacuum in Oct but lugging it around the house was hard. A cordless vacuum is so much easier.
For some reason My Dyson cordless vacuum stopped working last month after only having it for 2 months and just wouldn’t turn on. Dyson sent me a new battery but it still didn’t work.
I contacted them and they asked me to send them my vacuum 2 weeks ago and I just received the replacement today.
They sent me a brand new vacuum instead of fixing the one I sent back, plus they sent me all the attachments again. So essentially I now have two sets of attachments which is good I guess because I will leave a set upstairs instead of running back and forth.
I am even thinking of buying another one for upstairs but I have the corded vacuum already upstairs. I guess I can use that one in the basement if I do buy another one.

That is awesome Kayla. They’re a good company.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock

I agree, they are a great company, in the past when ever we have had any issues they have taken care of them quickly and easily! Glad to hear you like the new version :)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I have a Dyson V8, I have had it for 2 years and love it. I will never go back to a corded vacuum again. It also goes flat practically so I can get under furniture. The short battery life is a negative though, although it seems they have improved it.

I don't have a large house and with maximum power, I am not able to complete my house at once and have to recharge it half way through for above ground. And same with finished basement. So I split the vacuuming up.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome Kayla. They’re a good company.

Yes. They are! And they last. My first Dyson I purchased back in 2007. It still works and we leave it in the basement bc we have carpet there. My first floor is all wood floors and having the cordless is a must with four cats and a rabbit. I have cheap stick vacuums in the upstairs bathrooms for quick hair clean ups but the difference in suction power is amazing.
I agree, they are a great company, in the past when ever we have had any issues they have taken care of them quickly and easily! Glad to hear you like the new version :)

Yes! I was shocked I got a new vacuum. I do like the new version although I have nothing to compare it to.

@Dancing Fire I have used it throughout the whole house including the stairs. It last the whole duration. But I keep mine on the low green setting which is very powerful tbh.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely Dyson! Just can't beat their vacuums. I have two corded ones and one stick and I always reach for the stick when possible. It is great for touchups too between heavier cleaning.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried a bunch of those, but most of them seemed to be more about the rotating brush than about the vacuum power. My DH got super annoyed about
the last one - a dirty devil model- , because it seemed more like a broom than a vacuum... Also with 5 long haired girls the rotating brush always got stuck. That dirt devil one actually fried the motor of the brush after a couple of weeks(despite removing the visible hair after each use) . Thankfully I got it at Costco, so easy refund.

It's not an issue with our roomba that's also got that rotating brush.

Any issues with this in the Dyson? They seem to stress that brush a lot as well on their website and the actual vacuuming power (suction?) less.

I have no animal hair, more actual sand the kids will bring in, so if the vacuum just pushes that around it's super annoying. Reluctant to spend 800€ ...
Thoughts?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3 dogs, the Dyson is fantastic in general. We only have area rugs. On hardwood it's fine, but hardwood doesn't require much in the way of suction IMO. The suction on the Dyson is incredible, although that is what makes it hard for me to handle without strong wrists. That shouldn't be a problem for most people.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 3 dogs, the Dyson is fantastic in general. We only have area rugs. On hardwood it's fine, but hardwood doesn't require much in the way of suction IMO. The suction on the Dyson is incredible, although that is what makes it hard for me to handle without strong wrists. That shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Thanks @lyra .
This is moving it up my list... We have hardwood only, just two rugs. Those bad stick ones literally just pushed the dirt around.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Dyson Animal Cyclone 6. We love it.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I have a Tineco A11 Master. It has a switch that you can turn on (so you don't get finger fatigue) and comes with 2 batteries so that you always have one ready. I chose it over the Dyson for those reasons.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Dyson v11 Torque in purple. My brother got it for me after listening to me complain about finding plugs to vacuum. I have hardwood floors with some area rugs. I use it on auto and the screen says it'll last 45 mins (my apt is about 1000 sq ft and I'm done in 15 mins thankfully).

It comes with a bunch of attachments but I've only ever used the stick. With everyone's hair past the shoulders now there's so much hair everywhere. It does get heavy. It's great for picking up hair and dust but i tried vacuuming some spilled corn puffs and it just throws it somewhere else. Not sure if I have the wrong attachment or something. It'll pick up with the hose but not the spinning brush. Maybe it's not supposed to?

I vacuum a few times a day (3x messy, clumsy people :() and it's holding up fine so far. Just a pain to wash out the container every week.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@stepcutnut

so glad you started this thread. ive been looking for a cordless stick vacum for a while now also. the only dyson product i have is one of those narrow taller air filter/purifiers things. I like it.

we have a miele corded canister vacum. we had it for 8 or so years. its heavy and hubby ends up with the vacuming chore. we have to stay on top of it as we have two cats. they are angels but lots of fur on furniture and such. I have waist length hair so that is also a problem. the 3 of us shed. but hubby thinks it's a redundant appliance purchase. so i suppose more funds for diamonds and jewelry. im alright with that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results