shape
carat
color
clarity

Coral

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love coral.I would love to see peoples coral and I figured the pearl section is a good place for it.

Here is some coral I found at the beach that I turned into a necklace.
coral.jpg

Here is a coral necklace I am obsessed with.
chopard-2013-red-carpet-collection-pink-opal-necklace.jpg

Here is a coral and gold set, circa 1810.
coral.jpg

Last edited:

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love that you set some coral you found! Your pink stones are a perfect shade of pink. I don't think I can pick a favorite.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Vesper!
The free form coral is from my favorite place, Maui, and it always makes me smile!
I like your piece, too with the Tahitian pearl. Can you show us the back of the pendant? I am curious to see what kind of bale is on the back.
I'm waiting for more PSers to post their coral................!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drilled a hole in it. I used a small bit and slowly increased it untill I could string a chain through it.

I finally got a good picture of my coral earrings that were a Christmas present.
IMG_20170731_190208.jpg

Wow! Stunning!
I have never seen earrings like this before. And the seed pearls are amazing!
Are they custom made?
So beautiful!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They are new made to look old and I got them in a little shop in the Tyrolean region of Italy. They are made by a company that makes some costume jewelry and some higher end pieces. http://www.percossipapi.com/galleries/diamonds/

I love coral and pearls so when I saw them together I had to have them.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few coral rings I made from sterling.
The pink stones I bought at a mineral shop, and the white piece I found on the beach. IMG_20170728_194746205.jpg

Stracci, you amaze me! Those are Gorgeous!! I love them worn together that way and I LOVE the one you found. That is SO cool!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drilled a hole in it. I used a small bit and slowly increased it untill I could string a chain through it.

I finally got a good picture of my coral earrings that were a Christmas present.
IMG_20170731_190208.jpg
Vesper, I really love your style. These are so romantically beautiful!

Thank you for starting this thread! I love coral so much. I have a coral necklace which I'll show when I get home in a few weeks.

I once saw the most amazing angel skin coral beaded necklace and ever since I've been totally in love. That one was WAY out of my price range.
I've always wanted a bracelet made out of small, carved fruits!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not exactly what you are looking for but it is lovely and whimsical.
2017-08-02_06.38.56.jpg

What I am wearing today. My Edwardian coral necklace and bone ballerina earrings. (I figure bone should go in the same area as coral???)
2017-08-01_20.30.39.jpg
2017-08-02_06.42.01.jpg
Gosh, you are tempting me with that bracelet, Vesper! It's actually pretty close to what I had in mind. Your coral necklace looks fabulous on you! I love those whimsical, bone earrings too. I really love your style.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am glad I am be a bad influence :lol:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one you are obsessed with I am obsessed with too.

(I don't have any coral except for two huge white corals from The Great Barrier Reef, but they are different.)

West Ukraine, the area formerly called Galicia, has changed hands many times. It was part of Austro-Hungarian empire and ethnically and culturally differs from any other parts of Ukraine. It might be slightly similar to Poland, but very slightly. The old tradition dictated that a girl could get married only when she'd have a coral necklace, so you can still see these old coral necklaces un Lviv's antique stores.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is so neat! Do you know why they have to wait to get married untill they have a coral necklace? Do you have pictures of your uncut coral (I am thinking that is what you meant.)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so neat! Do you know why they have to wait to get married untill they have a coral necklace? Do you have pictures of your uncut coral (I am thinking that is what you meant.)

Well, it is not necessarily coral; I looked up, necklaces were an important part of clothing, be it Ukraine, Belarus or Lithuania. The cheapest ones were made of metal alloys. Amber was probably the next (proximity of the Baltic sea). The corals were more expensive (indicating the prosperity, I assume), but also, corals were supposed to "attract" health and good marriage. Pearls or murano glass were more expensive.

Here I found an example of coral necklace, "namysto" in Ukrainian. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/566327721868786894/

By the way, trying to find an answer, I came across so many wedding traditions, of different cultures. I do not know if this forum has a thread about wedding traditions, clothes? If not, we should start one.

Re. my corals: they are in my Moscow "flat". I once took a picture but deleted it - they look like huge white branching trees. Hopefully, Samsung will come up with Galaxy Note 8, meaning, I shall have a camera, etc., etc.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead, I am attaching a photo of a Buddha with lotus flower carved from coral. It dates back probably to the 19th century and stands in Moscow Mineralogy Museum coral buddha with lotus.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well, it is not necessarily coral; I looked up, necklaces were an important part of clothing, be it Ukraine, Belarus or Lithuania. The cheapest ones were made of metal alloys. Amber was probably the next (proximity of the Baltic sea). The corals were more expensive (indicating the prosperity, I assume), but also, corals were supposed to "attract" health and good marriage. Pearls or murano glass were more expensive.

Here I found an example of coral necklace, "namysto" in Ukrainian. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/566327721868786894/

By the way, trying to find an answer, I came across so many wedding traditions, of different cultures. I do not know if this forum has a thread about wedding traditions, clothes? If not, we should start one.

Re. my corals: they are in my Moscow "flat". I once took a picture but deleted it - they look like huge white branching trees. Hopefully, Samsung will come up with Galaxy Note 8, meaning, I shall have a camera, etc., etc.
I would love to see your coral "tree" some time!

You should start a wedding traditions thread! My Dad spends half the year in Russia and his apartment is across the street from a wedding venue and he always sends me pictures of the brides.

I googled "namysto." Wow! I studied ethnography so I find it fascinating!
ukrainske-namysto2.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh my! I would feel like a mermaid wearing that!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is a Zuni coral ring that I posted in another thread but I thought it needed to live here too.
IMG_20170804_073932.jpg
And this is a coral and diamond I have been lusting after.
coral.jpg
@Bluegemz I have been thinking more about your Mom's necklace. Do you know the history?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a Zuni coral ring that I posted in another thread but I thought it needed to live here too.
IMG_20170804_073932.jpg
coral.jpg
@Bluegemz I have been thinking more about your Mom's necklace. Do you know the history?
Vesper, she bought it in Kauai at a fine jewelry trading post about 7 years ago. I was with her when she got it. The store had a huge selection of untreated coral jewelry. This necklace was the most dramatic which they had. It looks amazing with a white dress or summer linens.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_9006.JPG I got several pairs of black coral earrings and this black coral necklace in Belieze City. There was a black coral store in a market downtown.
. IMG_9005.JPG

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! I had no idea you could get black coral! It is so dramatic. Is the shell carved coral too?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, The shell is carved black coral. I took a photo of both sides . Black coral has rings like trees do. The rings and growth lines are gold. The round cut segments between the long ones , you can see the gold growth rings.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! You really can! Just amazing. Now I have something else to look for. Do you know where the coral is from?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20170804_073932.jpg
coral.jpg

Interesting that you have a Zuni ring.
The woman who taught me silver smithing is from Zuni Pueblo!
That ring is fabulous!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is amazing! Like I said my Dad's best friend is a Zuni silversmith. How did you get be into it?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is amazing! Like I said my Dad's best friend is a Zuni silversmith. How did you get be into it?
20 years ago I moved to New Mexico, a real mecca for handcrafted jewelry, most notably, Native jewelry. There are gem and mineral shops all over the state, and a bunch right here in Albuquerque, and also in Santa Fe. The Native tribes here all have art that they specialize in. The Navajo, Zuni, Santo Domingo, and others are noted for jewelry. The Jemez, Laguna, Santa Clara, San Ildefonso are potters. Of course the Navajo are also known world wide for their rug weaving.
I met a silversmith from Zuni Pueblo, and I asked her to teach me. I bought all the tools, and jumped right in.
It is very satisfying, and shopping for gemstones is so much fun!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper, Natural black came from the Gulf of Mexico. Apparently they got it off shore from Belieze.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
When I went to Jamaica I bought some that ended up being plastic. I also saw the real deal in Grand Cayman. It was tiny and a lot of money. The next time I was in Mexico I was talking to a vendor and he pointed out the growth rings and showed me how to buy the real deal.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results