shape
carat
color
clarity

copying designer settings???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moolie26

Rough_Rock
This topic has probably been discussed many times over but here goes...

In speaking to several online retailers, i have heard the gammitt of either getting a designer setting at a discounted price or the old "our in-house can make a better copy than the original"...

In considering such, what are your thoughts on this. I, as many, am not sure on how to purchase a copy setting from an online retailer without actually seeing some of there work.

What experiences do you have? And are there some retailers that can be suggested. Or do most buy "loose" over the net and get it set at your local jeweler to retain some of the benefits of a B&M retailer

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
If I were you, I would go and buy a loose diamond on the net...
Then bring this one to a goldsmith or a platinumsmith who will be able
to make that setting you like .... if he has some CAD software, you'll be able
to see some decent pictures even before anything is done. Be prepare to pay
some extra $$$ for any custom work. However, there are thousands of
rings out there ... I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find one you like.... not all rings
are "designer" ones...

Now, you should know something else : gold doesnt cost a lot....around 14$US / gram
for 14K and 18$US / gram for 18K.... this includes work of course....
so for the typical Tiffany ring (without fee for setting your diamond) you should pay
no more than 150$US.

Tricrhome.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Copying someone else's work?

Most of the jewelers that claim they can make a better knock off are full of "soup".

The only real protection the original manufacturer has is to make a piece that is superior in quality so it doesn't get knocked off.

Also consider that many designs are trademarked - copyrighted and to blatantly copy these could present a problem later.

If you want the designer's product, simply buy it from them. Stealing someone else's design is just that.... STEALING!

Obviously, advice to participate in such activity is not good advice for the novice.

Rockdoc

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
I have never suggest copying someone else design.
I suggest bringing a drawing of a design he likes to a goldsmith, that's it.
Also.. Many of the designs available today are only partial copies of old
designs.... Bring me one.....I'll be able to prove you that your so-called
original design is not really so unique.

Best regards,
Trichrome.

Also, custom work is something I like a lot, so do the clients.. They like to have
something unique, something their neighboor doesnt have.

But it's very difficult to reinvent the wheel each time.... Classic rings
are and will always remain classic..... You don't have tons of designs to choose from.
Many are variation on the same style.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The topic of the thread is quite clear....

COPYING DESIGNER Rings etc.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results