shape
carat
color
clarity

Copying, and ... copying

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
I think Greg and DS have captured a lot of what I was trying to say.

Yssie: I did not deliberately leave out klewis RDG ring--I totally forgot about it! :oops: I need to start my Luminosity brain training! I forgot that arjunajane had a RDG one too.....when this topic came up, I remembered her as a poster who's style I liked and that she had rings that I hadn't seen in multiple variations, but that I thought were awesome and unique!! I still am shocked that I forgot about the phoenix ring--that is the kind of stuff that makes my heart sing! I compare it to the high VCA jewelry.

Anyway, people can't control how they feel about certain things. No one should try to minimize how upset anyone may be over the treatment of their designs. Things that make me feel like I have been kicked in the gut will roll off the back of others. I guess my point was that we see A LOT of copies/trends on pricescope, much in the same vein as fashion. I think if people post their original designs on here, they may need to consider that they could be starting the next trend, and whether or not they are ok with it or not, and for any of the reasons you outlined.

I would be so sad if we never were to see your RDG. Seeing the design threads with the pictures of the labor and crafting of those masterpieces has brought me so much happiness. Reading the tales of ZL picking up her diamond at FedEX and dropping in car, to the nine page thread of the crafting of her beauty, is truly an experience unique only to her and I love that she shared it with us. Copying her ring by another poster will bring them joy on the hand, but they won't have her experience.
Only a handful of us will be lucky enough to be able to have our own work of art handcrafted by a master.....I would only hope that by posting your RDG you would inspire more PS's to seek his business for their OWN pieces---I would be HORRIFIED to see a copy of one of his pieces put forth on here---so I guess that is my trigger point. I fully support you in your decision not to post, but a girl can still beg right? ;)) Congratulations ahead of time. I am excited for you and am now off to scheme on my own plan for an RDG ring :Up_to_something:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand the pressure on Yssie to share pictures of her ring. I think long timers will remember a few kerfufles over copies where the poster was told "If you put it on the internet, it will get copied." If Yssie (and Mike!) don't want the ring copied because the design is unique and personal, not posting it seems like the right move. I love seeing his work, but it's not exactly a crime against PS to buy something and not post it.

That said....Yssie, I have to tell you this because I think it'll make you smile and it's somewhat on topic. One of my best friends sent me a picture she'd found on Pinterest saying, "When (boyfriend) proposes, make sure he gets me this ring!" The picture was your DBL reset, and you can't believe how excited she was when I said, "Gee, I know exactly where that ring is from." She's actually panicked a few times when Pinterest was down because she had no idea how to find it again. I sent her the link to your thread and she's completely in love. She and her BF are in/around NYC, so your ring may eventually have a baby sister (if it doesn't already since that picture is floating around).

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sarahbear621|1362016469|3392302 said:
Ok enough of you lovely ladies have my email so someone please send me a link to these copies threads!!! I'm dying here and google is coming up with nothing...first time EVER that google has failed me!

Sarah, I'm curious too...will you send me the links as well please?? Thanks! :wavey:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1362060599|3392538 said:
Ok enough of you lovely ladies have my email so someone please send me a link to these copies threads!!! I'm dying here and google is coming up with nothing...first time EVER that google has failed me!

Sarah, I'm curious too...will you send me the links as well please?? Thanks! :wavey:

I will but no one has sent them to me yet :(sad

Yssie- can you send some love to Yenny and I??!!?

And also I know I emailed you Yssie but now I feel horrible for asking to do a version of your 5 stone. I hope you feel I didn't take away from your ring. We did actively try to change several of the compoents to elements I wanted so it isn't an exact replica but still now I feel like I let you down for some reason :(( This might be crazy talk from a person who is full of cold/ flu medication currently. I know you said it was allright but I still want to reach out and let you know I hope you weren't upset in any way.

SB621

Ideal_Rock

And also I know I emailed you Yssie but now I feel horrible for asking to do a version of your 5 stone. I hope you feel I didn't take away from your ring. We did actively try to change several of the compoents to elements I wanted so it isn't an exact replica but still now I feel like I let you down for some reason :(( This might be crazy talk from a person who is full of cold/ flu medication currently. I know you said it was allright but I still want to reach out and let you know I hope you weren't upset in any way.

EDIT_ I love how google failed me but PS didn't. Yenny there is a link to one of copies on this page on PS!
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-its-here-my-2-30-ct-omb-antique-cushion-upgrade.158760/page-7']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-here-its-here-my-2-30-ct-omb-antique-cushion-upgrade.158760/page-7[/URL]

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It took some serious hunting, but I finally tracked down two of the main copies being discussed here. If either ring were mine originally, I would be disappointed to see them copied like that. Though to be completely fair, I had to sort of squint and look at Haven's copied ring with my head tilted because I thought it was very different from the original - the stone size, the color of metal, the entire 'feel' of the ring was markedly different. I would be less upset by that sort of a copy than by the copy of ZL's ring, which I found to be astounding. I am sure it makes the owner very happy, but the difference in workmanship was extreme.

But Haven, the comments of being "so much prettier than the original"? I nearly had to pick my jaw up off the ground. Obviously people really DO vary! :lol:

Anyway, I do think that anything posted on the internet is open to thievery, right or wrong. In that sense, if you have something you would hate to see copied, butchered, or outright stolen, not posting is the only thing you can do. It's sad though, as we all love sharing the journey with each other. To me, that part of the experience is the best -- I would be willing to tolerate bad knockoffs for the joy I get from the PS community support.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here's what I've taken away from this so far.

1) Don't post your jewelry if you don't want it copied. Period.
2) If you copy someone's jewelry, realize some people won't like it. If you are okay with offending people, realize it. Don't make excuses that you didn't know.
3) There are things you can do to try to avoid offense:
-Ask permission to copy exactly. The owner/designer may say no, and this may be seen as creepy/stalkerish.
-Ask permission to use it as an inspiration, and tweak. The owner/designer may still say no.
-Don't copy/get inspiration from someone else's piece. Go to antiques that have no "owner" anymore and document your process.

Here's my personal opinion. I think there's a difference between "designer" and "bread and butter" pieces. I won't copy designer pieces of LM's, which to me are things like his Paraiba ring with oxidized halo, or his moonstone pendant with yellow sapphires and 1 ruby on the other side (both which PSers own). Some vendors like RDG and M2 have more signature pieces that I consider "designer", than bread and butter pieces, and I consider them artists, not bench people. They are akin to Tiffany's Schlumberger or Picasso lines, or Cartier's high-end "collections". I won't buy knockoffs of these. I own 1 Tiffany piece, and it's what I consider a "designer" piece. There are knockoffs, but they are not executed well (less detail/flow, less gold). I have no issues with getting a "bread and butter" piece done with my own ideas with any vendor.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can someone give me search words to put in either on Google or that "other site" to find the ring?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm at work but I wanted to address one post right away - Sarah oh my goodness NO!!

I meant every word when I said I was completely flattered that you kept coming back to my trellis for your OECs!! Honestly, if you'd said you wanted to copy it exactly I'd have been perfectly okay with that too, because it was very nice of you to actually ask, and because SK is such a talented designer - there would've been subtle differences in the way he chose to implement the details, the way Yenny's and TGal's aren't clones - he'd have found a way to make it *his* and *yours*! He did an incredible job on your ring - it's beautiful, and I hope it makes you very happy :bigsmile: And I can't wait to see it in a few months!!!!

Please don't feel like you've taken anything away from my enjoyment of my ring or anything like that - that's really, really not the case at all, and now I feel awful for making you feel that way :(sad My post truly wasn't aimed at anyone or anything on PS :sick:

Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I found a copy mentioned here on the other board, that has sims maybe use the words Once Upon a time.

It does not compare to the original. Reminds me of a ring you'd see from Zales rather than a work of art. I love all jewelry and I've owned many Zales or Fox or Kay but Z's ring is stunning and flows and is delicate but has presence.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1362067727|3392606 said:
I'm at work but I wanted to address one post right away - Sarah oh my goodness NO!!

I meant every word when I said I was completely flattered that you kept coming back to my trellis for your OECs!! Honestly, if you'd said you wanted to copy it exactly I'd have been perfectly okay with that too, because it was very nice of you to actually ask, and because SK is such a talented designer - there would've been subtle differences in the way he chose to implement the details, the way Yenny's and TGal's aren't clones - he'd have found a way to make it *his* and *yours*! He did an incredible job on your ring - it's beautiful, and I hope it makes you very happy :bigsmile: And I can't wait to see it in a few months!!!!

Please don't feel like you've taken anything away from my enjoyment of my ring or anything like that - that's really, really not the case at all, and now I feel awful for making you feel that way :(sad My post truly wasn't aimed at anyone or anything on PS :sick:

Sorry for typos, I'm on my phone.
Oh Yssie that was so sweet of you. I think I'm just having any emotional day (I posted about it in random comments thread) so just ignore my raving lunatic comments. But I am glad that you don't feel that way. I have always sort of purchased jewelry to symbolize with what is going on with my life and life events. So though the piece might not be special in terms of artistic uniqueness it is special to be for what has been going on personally. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't encroached on that with you. I'm glad you feel flattered, because I love your taste with clean and classic lines. Now with all that said, I'm going to crawl in bed and take some Nightquil. I shouldn't be allowed to post under medication :shock:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362061292|3392544 said:

EDIT_ I love how google failed me but PS didn't. Yenny there is a link to one of copies on this page on PS!
**edited by moderator. please see our policies**l

Sarah, thanks for that link. The whole discussion on the other board was fascinating, in a can't-look-away-from-the-car-wreck kind of way. I must lead a sheltered life, because I had no idea that there was a kind of "shadow PS", where posters there keep an eye on what is going on here on PS, and then knock off original designs. And that there is even a go-to person that does the knock-offs. :-o

I've thought about the issue of copying a lot. It is one of the reasons why I have mostly stopped posting photos of any piece of jewelry that I commission that is an original. I'd like to think I wouldn't care, and all designs are derivative, yaddda, yadda, but I'm not sure how I'd actually react.

While I agree with DS overall, I think direct copies of Harry Winston or Tiffany designs are kind of a slippery slope. I'm not sure it should be any less problematical to do a knock-off of a design just because the original design comes from a big company--and I am saying that as someone who owns a BGD version of the Tiffany Legacy, as well as other "inspired by" pieces. It's still someone's blood sweat and tears that is being duplicated. I don't know. I go back and forth on this, but it seems to me copying is still copying whether the original designer/s work for Tiffany or RDG.

As I said, it hasn't stopped me from setting stones in knock-offs.

Edited to add:

I just looked at the ZL/RDG knock off thanks to the hints given above. Wow. That was--not good. The word "desecration" comes to mind.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a close copy of Haven's ring. I guess it depends on the owner if they are offended (in this case Haven).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1362069075|3392622 said:
Sarahbear621|1362061292|3392544 said:

**edited by moderator. please see our policies**

Sarah, thanks for that link. The whole discussion on the other board was fascinating, in a can't-look-away-from-the-car-wreck kind of way. I must lead a sheltered life, because I had no idea that there was a kind of "shadow PS", where posters there keep an eye on what is going on here on PS, and then knock off original designs. And that there is even a go-to person that does the knock-offs. :-o

I've thought about the issue of copying a lot. It is one of the reasons why I have mostly stopped posting photos of any piece of jewelry that I commission that is an original. I'd like to think I wouldn't care, and all designs are derivative, yaddda, yadda, but I'm not sure how I'd actually react.

While I agree with DS overall, I think direct copies of Harry Winston or Tiffany designs are kind of a slippery slope. I'm not sure it should be any less problematical to do a knock-off of a design just because the original design comes from a big company--and I am saying that as someone who owns a BGD version of the Tiffany Legacy, as well as other "inspired by" pieces. It's still someone's blood sweat and tears that is being duplicated. I don't know. I go back and forth on this, but it seems to me copying is still copying whether the original designer/s work for Tiffany or RDG.

As I said, it hasn't stopped me from setting stones in knock-offs.

Edited to add:

I just looked at the ZL/RDG knock off thanks to the hints given above. Wow. That was--not good. The word "desecration" comes to mind.

OK, I think we are giving ourselves airs if we really think that. PS has been around for ages and a LOT of people find us when searching for jewelry/diamond info. We're a stop for bling lovers! I don't think anyone anywhere is waiting to pounce on new designs and copy them. There are people who love jewelry but can't afford diamonds. There is a forum for that. And if you love jewelry, you're going to find PS, and find pieces of PSers that you love and covet.

I don't think anyone over there owes us any courtesy. It's a separate forum. The general public lurk here all the time and I'm sure there's lots of copying going on that we never know about. I agree that copying a RDG design is a little different from copying some others, but there's also a bit of ego that's going on here IMHO. Any successful designer is going to be copied. If it makes RDG sick to see his stuff copied and he requests his jewelry NEVER be shown on the web, well....it seems he got as busy as he was from PSers posting his rings to the net!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
And btw, the turn of this thread is cracking me up. I *think* Circe may have been asking about when PSers (or people in general) copy rings (or things) - either of big firms or individual designers out there. And somehow we've turned this into "when bad people copy *our* bling."

SB621

Ideal_Rock
You know T-Gal that is a very good point. I never would have known about many of these designers had I not seen their stuff posted on PS. I guess that is the price you pay. Your artistic vision can be copied by the general masses but then you gain business and recongition as well.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1362070211|3392640 said:
OK, I think we are giving ourselves airs if we really think that. PS has been around for ages and a LOT of people find us when searching for jewelry/diamond info. We're a stop for bling lovers! I don't think anyone anywhere is waiting to pounce on new designs and copy them. There are people who love jewelry but can't afford diamonds. There is a forum for that. And if you love jewelry, you're going to find PS, and find pieces of PSers that you love and covet.

I don't think anyone over there owes us any courtesy. It's a separate forum. The general public lurk here all the time and I'm sure there's lots of copying going on that we never know about. I agree that copying a RDG design is a little different from copying some others, but there's also a bit of ego that's going on here IMHO. Any successful designer is going to be copied. If it makes RDG sick to see his stuff copied and he requests his jewelry NEVER be shown on the web, well....it seems he got as busy as he was from PSers posting his rings to the net!

Oh, I agree with the bolded. I was just fascinated, especially because it seems as though there is a lot of crossover. Not sure how that qualifies as giving ourselves airs.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Haven't gotten to the Haven copy, but I found the ZL copy and agreed on the comparison to a piece you could find at Zales. It is odd that it is sort of a "shadow" PS since someone kindly started a thread on that website as well stating that we were all in a "tizzy" over here about some members who had gotten copies of a few of the famous PSers' rings.

I kind of just find myself nodding in agreement with all the sentiments produced in this thread...I don't have anything original and it is certainly a slippery slope that it is generally considered okay to have "inspired by" pieces from relatively mass produced designers, but not small bench artists, but it is definitely a battle of wanting to share your pride and joy with wanting it to be a truly one of a kind, unique piece.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1362069690|3392632 said:
Wow, that is a close copy of Haven's ring. I guess it depends on the owner if they are offended (in this case Haven).
I'm not offended at all! It's just very strange to see a close-yet-in-important-ways very different interpretation of my ring.

And this is totally unfair but I'm human: I think it's bad form that the woman making the copy didn't post some love and a shout out in my ring's thread. She's a forum user, posting about my ring on another forum, it just seems like it would have been the thing to do since she's documenting a derivative ring's journey online. AND, to show you just how silly I am, had she done that I would have been very excited for her and about the ring, regardless of how it turned out. So there you have it, I'm just petty I suppose.

I AM excited she loves her ring, though. If she hated it I'd feel terrible for her. Had she included me in her ring's journey it would have been nice since I created the inspiration piece and all.

I totally accept that posting my ring on PS means it's fair game for copies, and I know other copies have been made. Doesn't bother me, rather it's very flattering. I was sure to get my jeweler's permission before I posted it on PS, too.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto, and great point with the bolded. We've been over this before with the surfgirl saga, but you can't have it both ways as a consumer, either. You can't get all the love for your gorgeous ring and then be SHOCKED AND DISMAYED when someone wants a ring exactly like yours.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1362070762|3392649 said:

Oh, I agree with the bolded. I was just fascinated, especially because it seems as though there is a lot of crossover. Not sure how that qualifies as giving ourselves airs.

I think when you said: "I just looked at the ZL/RDG knock off thanks to the hints given above. Wow. That was--not good. The word "desecration" comes to mind. " it was a bit harsh. And sounded pretty snobby. I don't think the wearer of this ring (who obviously lurks on this board) thinks she has an RDG. Is it a knockoff? Yes. But would ANYONE who knows his work think it's his? No. I think it's modeled after Z's ring and was meant to look quite different based on proportion and the wearers preferences.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1362071064|3392655 said:

Ditto, and great point with the bolded. We've been over this before with the surfgirl saga, but you can't have it both ways as a consumer, either. You can't get all the love for your gorgeous ring and then be SHOCKED AND DISMAYED when someone wants a ring exactly like yours.

Exactly, T2.

Btw Aoife, I hope you think I'm not picking on you specifically. I'm really just talking about what I was reading in the last couple pages in general. I mean, people on that forum may very well think the copy looks better than the original. Doesn't mean they're WRONG.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree, but I do want the love! If someone sets out to make an exact copy, and they're going to document it on a forum, I'd love to know about it! Why leave me out? Let me in on the fun that my ring inspired, please.

I just saw an etsy seller is selling a copy of my ring. I don't care about that either, but it seems like a different situation than a consumer copying it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I'm probably adding fuel to the fire here but I just can't help but find this insanely funny.
There is now a thread on the other forum about this thread :lol:

Yenny- I emailed you!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362071788|3392669 said:
Ok so I'm probably adding fuel to the fire here but I just can't help but find this insanely funny.
There is now a thread on the other forum about this thread :lol:

Yenny- I emailed you!
It is pretty funny.

Circe--Sorry if I contributed to derailing this thread!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I tried "once upon a time" in the "other" search engine and still can't find it. Can someone give me more hints?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it was Laila who pointed out that there's really nothing new under the sun.
Pretty much all designs are inspired by others- which in turn inspires others.

The devil is in the details- and that's where the skill and hand of the maker really comes into play
Basically if two benches attempt the exact same design, the results will be different enough that anyone with a sharp eye for detail will notice immediately.

I've also yet to see a jewelry design that made sense, yet was so original that it did not use elements of existing deigns.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven|1362071576|3392662 said:

I agree, but I do want the love! If someone sets out to make an exact copy, and they're going to document it on a forum, I'd love to know about it! Why leave me out? Let me in on the fun that my ring inspired, please.

I just saw an etsy seller is selling a copy of my ring. I don't care about that either, but it seems like a different situation than a consumer copying it.

If it's on PS, sure, but I don't think it's realistic to think that someone on another board is going to come here and do that. And I didn't think you were shocked and dismayed, BTW-just slightly tweaked, if that. Which I think is perfectly fine and reasonable, BTW! (Not that you need my permission, of course-just trying to be extra clear! :cheeky: )

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal|1362071441|3392659 said:

I think when you said: "I just looked at the ZL/RDG knock off thanks to the hints given above. Wow. That was--not good. The word "desecration" comes to mind. " it was a bit harsh. And sounded pretty snobby. I don't think the wearer of this ring (who obviously lurks on this board) thinks she has an RDG. Is it a knockoff? Yes. But would ANYONE who knows his work think it's his? No. I think it's modeled after Z's ring and was meant to look quite different based on proportion and the wearers preferences.

No, I don't think I'm being picked on specifically, you're making some good points, many of which I agree with to one degree or another.

I can see why you got that from the quote you reference, and I should have made myself more clear, but the clunkiness of the replication really was glaring, and not in a good way. We make aesthetic judgments on this forum all the time, so I'm willing to stand by that opinion.

As a general observation, if you (general "you") are going to replicate someone else's original work--writing, painting, jewelry--and then post it on a public forum, you can hardly be surprised if it draws comment, not all of it positive.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1362074667|3392725 said:
TravelingGal|1362071441|3392659 said:

No, I don't think I'm being picked on specifically, you're making some good points, many of which I agree with to one degree or another.

I can see why you got that from the quote you reference, and I should have made myself more clear, but the clunkiness of the replication really was glaring, and not in a good way. We make aesthetic judgments on this forum all the time, so I'm willing to stand by that opinion.

As a general observation, if you (general "you") are going to replicate someone else's original work--writing, painting, jewelry--and then post it on a public forum, you can hardly be surprised if it draws comment, not all of it positive.

I can agree with that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results