shape
carat
color
clarity

Coolest dress ever!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I am DYING to make one of these now!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, Monkey, that''s awesome!!!
30.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, it reminds me of Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat...and tbh, I don''t find it flattering on the body
7.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''re cute, I saw a young designer in a magazine maybe 6-7 years ago who made skirts (they kind of looked like kilts) out of men''s neckties. It would be tough to get them all to lay correctly so that they drape well...a cute idea, nonetheless.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m wondering how many my tubby self would need to make myself a white version for our vow renewal in a few years
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhh, I see where you''re going with this NOW!!! A necktie wedding gown, cool!
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are NOT tubby, Good Grief. I LOVE that dress. You would look adorable in it. I love those colors too.

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
that is soooo cool! i bet that''s fairly easy to sew as well..

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the ones with a little waist detail . . . the others, not so much. Cool idea, though!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a mini skirt made from ties that I got at a really cool vintage store in Austin. I haven''t worn it in awhile, but I thought it was cute. I''ll take a pic for ya''ll soon.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Those are cool!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! I think that''s awesome!!!!!!!!!I want a blue one!!!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
How cool are those? At first the dress reminded me of some of the things we wore in the 70''s but then I saw it was neckties...D''oH! That''s awesome.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Aww, thanks ladies. You made my day
13.gif

I am seriously considering getting one of these. If she makes them custom then the price really isn''t that bad. We want to do a renewal next Christmas (or Halloween, depending on finances) for our two year anniversary since we didn''t do anything the first time around. This would be super cute and more casual in shades of white and cream!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 4th picture. The ones that go straight down and don''t go across the body look more flattering, to me.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic, I love the way it swirls, that would hide a multitude of sins.

I made a miniskirt like that in HS and a longer one as well that if pulled up is a calf length dress. These are just up and down ties with a straight across the top elastic waist and zig-zag edge of tie bottoms for the "hem." In the posting, I can''t figure out two things, one how they got ties that long, and two what fabric they are made of. For mine I hit up yard sales and church bazzars, I''ve made several for friends since.

Look for the 70s poly ties. silk just tears. You have to cut the guts out of the tie, open it up and take out the canvas inside, then sew them together on the fold (most used ties have wear on the fold, either make it a more narrow tie by ironing or toss it). I found that I needed to iron in stiffner so that the ties would have some shape and the skirt didn''t look like lingerie. Plus the silk was just so thin.

Keeping the stuffing in the ties would just make it look bulky. The skirt gets rave reviews, they really are very forgiving if you sew in an elastic band across the top and fold over. In hs I was a size 4 and now a 10 and they still fit. The miniskirt took 20ish ties and the long one since at the top each tie is like an inch wide, took more like 30+ since I didn''t like tight clothes then.

I hope that helps, lmk if you have questions. I think 175 is a really decent price for that dress. It is a great deal of work to make, but clearly worth it, mine have been worn for 15 yrs! I can''t figure out the dress, I am so much longer than a tie! She makes them even up at the top, an interesting hem, I like it for a dress. For skirts obv even them up at the bottom. A friend made a bustier out of ties like that, it was a fun statement, but she could wear trashbags and look fab. Must keep looking at the pictures. Good luck MonkeyPie!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
A tie skirt could be considerably longer than this link. I wear mine with frye boots and black tights/black sweater all the time. MUCH easier than making the dress, and flattering on all body styles.

ETA: this is just like the short one I made! link so fun!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 9:50:01 AM
Author: ckrickett
That''s so neat.
I''ve always been a fan of the cheeseburger dress.

LMFAO! That is the funniest dress!

swimmer, thanks for all the tips! I wondered how she made them so long, too, and I wonder if she even uses real ties for it. If she just uses fabric I can see how it would be a LOT easier, and I bet I could make it more quickly and cheaply, too. I''m going to ask my husband if I can get one of these just made by her, I think, but I do want to try making the skirts myself. I''m so glad to hear that you made one and still like them. That means they are worth the time!
36.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, it''s unique. I''ll give you that.
3.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:14:52 AM
Author: swimmer
A tie skirt could be considerably longer than this link. I wear mine with frye boots and black tights/black sweater all the time. MUCH easier than making the dress, and flattering on all body styles.

ETA: this is just like the short one I made! link so fun!

I am really digging that first one, that skirt looks amazing
30.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 6:08:06 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I like the ones with a little waist detail . . . the others, not so much. Cool idea, though!
Ditto, I really think a belt/waist tie (ha!) is needed. With that they look awesome!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
That`s such a cool dress!!! Not sure I could pull off the cheeseburger, though...LOL
3.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
The 4th one down is my favourite. The colours are gorgeous!!! Monkeypie, I love the idea of a cream/white dress for your vow renewal!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think the swirl from the ties in creams and whites would look amazing!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of using that for a vow renewal! Very very cool.

Now I want a tie miniskirt...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those! I wonder if she''d do it all in one color... like.. all black ties. of different patterns with a silver waist band! I''d totally wear one of those to an event! I love the mermaid one!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''ve seen skirts made like that and they are utterly fabulous!!! LOVE it!!
36.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:28:30 PM
Author: Gypsy
I love those! I wonder if she''d do it all in one color... like.. all black ties. of different patterns with a silver waist band! I''d totally wear one of those to an event! I love the mermaid one!

Ooohh that sounds so pretty! I do like the mermaid ones best, too - they seem to add a little something. The straight ones kinda make me think of pajamas lol. Very cool pajamas, though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:33:39 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

Date: 3/11/2009 4:28:30 PM
Author: Gypsy

Ooohh that sounds so pretty! I do like the mermaid ones best, too - they seem to add a little something. The straight ones kinda make me think of pajamas lol. Very cool pajamas, though!
It does sound cool doesn''t it?

Now I wish I had somewhere to wear it to!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results