shape
carat
color
clarity

Cool foods for a hot day!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Since the HOT! topic started turning towards food, I thought it deserved it''s own heading!

I finally decided what to make for dinner tonight since it''s so hot outside... fish tacos. Pan sear or grill pan some fluke, cut up some avacadoes, red onions, tomatoes, and cilantro, nuke some flour tortialls and YUM!

What are you making?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cedar grilled monkfish. Grilled zucchini. Salad. Not sure what kind of salad yet. Picked some of FSIL''s lettuce heads today. Want to use it. Also bought watermelon... love cold watermelon on a hot day.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh...groovy topic.

Anyone eat Korean food? There is this cold noodle soup called "Nyaeng Myun". It''s absolutely fantastic on a hot day. It''s better than it sounds, I swear! you can even put ice cubes in it.

Instead of just plain water, I love sparkling water (I''m partial to pellegrino, but even plain ole soda water will do) over ice with lemon. Refreshing and guilt free.

But seriously, what could be better than watermelon, as suggested?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I have this fabulous asian coleslaw recipe--- It is in one of the Nigella cookbooks. I will dig it up later- it has shredded cabbage, carrots, mint tossed with a fish sauce/rice vinegar dressing with peanuts on top. I add some chicken, tofu or shrimp and it is so satisfying, and quite healthy!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
results of list making work:

gazpacho with hard boiled egg/onion/olive oil garnishes and (maybe) pita chips
tabouli with leftover tandoori chicken converted to a salad on the side
cold avacodo-tomatillo soup with cornbread

(for after the heat wave ends)

pizza and salad
corn and mushroom ragout with zucchini bread

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh...gazpacho. Yes! Yum!

I make a shrimp ceviche which is fab on a hot day too. It just takes so much time and work because I make a big a** batch of it.

Speaking of asian salads, here is one that is great that one of my aussie friends taught me. Where she got it, I don''t know.

Lettuce (I use green leaf and chop it.. Sometimes I add some chopped Spring Mix in a bag)
Shredded Carrots
Cilantro, chopped
Mint chopped
Bean Sprouts (very rough chop, if at all)
Red Onion (sliced thin)
Crushed chil flakes/red pepper (or you can use a bit of the real stuff)
Sugar Snap Peas, sliced thin on the diagonal

I just sort of put equal bits of almost everything. You can put as much or as little as you like.

Dressing
2 tb Fish Sauce
Fresh Juice of two limes
2 tb Sesame Oil (or Peanut Oil, or a mixture of both. I just use Sesame)
1 tb brown sugar (or to taste)
couple of dashes of crushed chili flakes (more if you like spicy!)
salt and pepper

You can do everything to taste, so be conservative to start and add more. I find that I don''t need to add salt at all...maybe a dash at the most.

Add, shrimp, sauteed with olive oil, salt, pepper and minced garlic, or use chicken instead (I also use a bit of Herbes de Provence on the chicken). Or whatever meat you''d like! Tastes good without the meat too. Toss the salad, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have it, and enjoy!

mia15

Shiny_Rock
Oh my God, TravelingGal, you just refueled my Neng Myun obsession!

Cold noodles are the best thing ever. I need to find a Korean restaurant...

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 5:24:31 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
I have this fabulous asian coleslaw recipe--- It is in one of the Nigella cookbooks. I will dig it up later- it has shredded cabbage, carrots, mint tossed with a fish sauce/rice vinegar dressing with peanuts on top. I add some chicken, tofu or shrimp and it is so satisfying, and quite healthy!

Ooohhh, please post this recipe! It sounds delicious!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 5:41:18 PM
Author: emeraldlover
Oh my God, TravelingGal, you just refueled my Neng Myun obsession!

Cold noodles are the best thing ever. I need to find a Korean restaurant...
I know...I am feeling pretty fixated on it myself at the moment.

mia15

Shiny_Rock
The problem is I live in LA, where there are so many Korean restaurants I don''t know which one to go to.

It''s a good problem to have, though.
26.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too Emeraldlover. the L.A. times recently had an article about "24 hours in Koreatown" where they made quite a few recommendations. The LA times often runs food stories on Korean cuisine.

The thing is I HATE driving up to L.A. to K-town, so I have to find a decent stand out here in the burbs. My FI hasn''t tried Nyaeng Myun yet, so I am not sure if he''d like it. After all, it''s nothing fancy that will knock your socks off.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
dinner tonite will be a fresh mozz and tomato salad with basil and olive oil..yummo!! thanks F&I for reminding me in the other thread that we LOVE this.

and i got us halibut burgers again from WF...yum. this time i am going to sprinkle some cajun spices onto them and also make an aoili of mayo, champagne herb dijon mustard and some lemon or lime juice for the spread, fresh sliced tomato and red onion on whole wheat buns. YUM i SO can't wait for dinner!
5.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 6:37:45 PM
Author: Mara
dinner tonite will be a fresh mozz and tomato salad with basil and olive oil..yummo!! thanks F&I for reminding me in the other thread that we LOVE this.

and i got us halibut burgers again from WF...yum. this time i am going to sprinkle some cajun spices onto them and also make an aoili of mayo, champagne herb dijon mustard and some lemon or lime juice for the spread, fresh sliced tomato and red onion on whole wheat buns. YUM i SO can't wait for dinner!
5.gif
Yummo indeed, I adore fresh mozzerella and tomato salad. We've never had Halibut burgers will have to try those. Thanks!!! Bon Appetite
18.gif

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the store and decided that the mellon looked so good so we''re going to start off tonight with a little prosciutto and mellon. I have to keep away from it before I eat it all before dinner!!!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock

cool gazpacho with salt. yum

stuffed grape leaves from the lebanese place, baba ganoush and pita bread.

(now it''s on the right thread!)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me it''s a salad of shredded romaine hearts, sliced pears, walnuts, blue cheese crumbles, and a homemade vinaigrette!!! Maybe some chicken pieces thrown in for protein.

And a Klondike bar for dessert.
2.gif
Nothin'' like ice cream when it''s hot out.
18.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Frozen grapes and chilled figs!

Those get me through the hot summers.
Cold king crab is also good... or cocktail shrimp.

Smoothies!!!!!!!!! I''ve started making blueberry or green tea smoothies lately.

Let''s throw a party!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
I live in one of the most humidest places in Australlia and right now in the middle of winter the temp is about 73 today so I know a lot about cool foods for hot days. We eat a lot of salads with grilled fish or steak. My familiy''s favourites are Chicken and Mango salad with fresh mango and a curried mayo dressing. Chicken Caesar with an easy homemade dressing or leg ham of the bone and caesar salad. Fish with a avocado and tomato salsa and Tandoori Chicken Salad. All the chicken for these recipes (except the tandoori) can be be steamed or if you really can''t be bothered a BBQ chicken from the takeaway can be used.
18.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Sushi, seaweed salad and edamame for us tonight... and Rita''s for dessert!
18.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
It's too hot to actually make anything. For the last several weeks, FI and I have been eating prepared salads and other things from the fridge. For example, tonight he had a TJs Beef Salad and I had hummus, lavash bread, and celery dipped in peanut butter.

Now that I think about it, we eat like this a lot! Simple and cheap.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
This is the best recipe, it is from Nigella Bites, probably my favorite cookbook of all time! I have made at least 3/4 of the recipes in there and 99% are fab. it makes a great bday present!

PF note: I usually double or triple this because it is great for lunch the next day or midnight grazing.

Nigella''s Vietnamese Chicken and Mint Salad
Yield: 2 servings if you have moderate appetites, or 4 if you eat like a bird.

For the dressing:
1 1/2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 1/2 TBSP fish sauce
1 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBSP sugar
1 Thai or Serrano chile, diced (and seeded if you''re a wimp)
1/2 onion, sliced into thin half moons
juice of 1/2 lime

For the salad:
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded (I use a vegetable peeler)
3/4 - 1 cup of chopped fresh mint
1/2 cooked chicken, chopped
Or shrimp or Tofu bits are good too.

1. Combine all ingredients for dressing in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Combine all ingredients for salad in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top. Toss and serve.

I sprinkle crushed peanuts over the top.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Rainbow...gazpacho, tabouli...yum.

Any kind of fruit, esp. juicy stuff (no bananas)...

I even love some of the cold fruit soups...very refreshing

Lightly fruity seltzers or juice (pomegranate, cherry) splashed into club soda with some lime...

1/2 iced tea, 1/2 lemonade (Arnold Palmer) is great too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh two other must haves for me right now is fresh watermelon and fresh white nectarines or fresh white peaches, yum!!! nice and crisp from 10 minutes in the freezer!

also has anyone tried pomtea? i LOVE this stuff. the lychee green tea is my fave.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m all about cooling down with cocktails. Here are some yummy SANGRIA POPSICLES from the Rachel Ray magazine. They are quite tasty and you can buy popsicle molds at Bed Bath & Beyond.

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
zest of 1/2 a lime
3 cups fresh pineapple chunks (about 1 lb)
2 dried star anise pods (can substitute with a cinnamon stick)
1 1/2 tbsp white run
juice of 2-3 oranges (2/3 cup)
2 1/2 cups dry white wine

1. Heat a non-stick skillet over med-high heat. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, ginger, and lime zest. Add the pineapple and toss.
2. Scrape the pineapple into the skillet, add the star anise and cook, without stirring until the pineapple caramlizes, 5 minutes. Stir in the rum and let the the alcohol burn off, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange juice, scraping the bottom of the pan. Let cool.
3. Discard the anise. Puree the fruit mixture in a blender. Stir in the white wine and pour the mixture into icepop molds. Freeze until solid--about 4 hours.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Believe it or not...we're having a heatwave in the UK at the moment. The problem is that we are just not use to this kinda heat!

Eating food or preparing food is just out of the question in this kinda heat!
7.gif

tza.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2006 6:37:45 PM
Author: Mara
i don''t know what your growing season is out there - so this tip may be too late - but for some unknown reason - cluster tomatoes are an easy and fruitful grow in a pot. Other than grape/cherry tomatoes it''s the first tomatoes that have grown well in a pot. Here in the country, we have no sun for prolonged periods - so I carry my pot around to where the sun is - and we have been having "home grown" tomatoes for weeks!

Don''t forget your pups! - frozen carrots are a great treat!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
F&I...i actually got my first tomato plants this year from a coworker, she had a bunch of starters she was giving away at work...they are two small plants of ''sweet 100''s''or something like that, they are super sweet small cherry tomatoes, they sell them at whole foods too i guess. anyway i have had tomatoes but i havent pulled any off to eat yet! how silly is that! i keep buying them at the store. i keep telling greg well i dont know if they are ready yet, and he is like well TRY ONE. haha. this is my first year growing anything edible so i guess i am just paranoid. i keep wondering too what if a local cat comes into the patio at night and pees on them. do i really want to eat them? ew! hehe.

so last nite the coworker actually brought in a big basket of tomatoes from her garden which i have no problem eating...hehee..so we had a bunch of those (red and yellow, i love the color mix!) with the fresh basil, fresh squishy full fat mozz from whole foods (yum!), olive oil, salt and pepper...yum!!! i had to really watch that portion because i could eat that all night...esp after working out it tasted so good to replace my salt...hehe.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well this isn't exactly a COOL TREAT now that it's full on summertime...i am craving BURGERS lately. and we all know how unhealthy THAT can get....so i found this recipe online and it's actually really close to the one we currently use when we make our burgers at home and we use the super lean 93/7 meat anyway and we have never had a problem with them coming out dry.

so anyway figured i'd put the recipe out here for you gals to use in case anyone else is craving a burger fix like i am!!!

our own recipe is really similar to this (who knew that it was low-fat to begin with?!) but we also add A-1, garlic powder, and some breadcrumbs which helps it not stick to the grill so much and keeps it all together better. we top them with lettuce, tomato, champagne herbed dijon and some red onion and typically use whole wheat buns or similar.

Low Fat Burgers
From Fiona Haynes,
Your Guide to Low Fat Cooking.

For these low fat burgers, choose extra-lean ground beef, which contains 5% fat by weight, compared with 25-30% fat in regular ground beef. Adding tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and some minced onion ensures these low fat patties make moist burgers. Serve on whole grain or sourdough buns, with a range of low fat condiments.

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
1/4 cup minced onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp fresh chopped minced parsley
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 egg white

PREPARATION:
Combine ingredients in a large bowl using a fork. When combined, form 4 patties, 3/4-inch thick. Broil or grill for 5-6 minutes per side, to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Per Serving: Calories 159, Calories from Fat 51, Total Fat 5.7g (Sat 3g), Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 139mg, Carbohydrate 2g, Fiber 0.3g, Protein 25.1g

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recipe Mara, sounds yummy. I have been a burger eating fool lately. Like craving them non stop. And no I am NOT pregnant, hehe.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results