shape
carat
color
clarity

Cooking?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FionaH

Rough_Rock
Hi experts!

I am still searching for the perfect stone. I decidedthat I didn't want a clarity enhanced stone (not permanent enough) or a lazer drilled stone (weakens the stone and don't like the idea of holes in the stone). Now I have come across a different treatment that supoosedly does not have any of these drawbacks.

Have you heard of a process called "cooking" where a lazer is used to heat the diamond to a very high heat, which turns a black carbon spot colourless?

I have found an EGL Diamond where this has been done. The certificate says: ...."internal lazer treatment not shown...."under the comments section.It doesn't say the stone is lazer drilled or clarity enhanced. The vendor has explained the process that it has been through to me.

Because of the treatment the stone is a good price. The clarity is now an eye clean SI2, and the stone looks very pretty.

How safe is this treatment? How permanent is it? Is it a recognised treatment? Will it be difficult to re-sell such a stone if I ever needed to?

Why does the EGL certificate not detail the lazer treatment?

Help please!:wavey: :wavey:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is a recent "improvement " in laser treatment that makes a more natural looking indication of the laser process than a line like, drill hole. In truth, the stone is still lasered or treated and it won't make any difference to those who won't buy a lasered stone. Those that do buy or sell lasered stones, don't care one way or the other. The better the end result, the better they will like it.

The real issue, is do you like it?

As far as a laser weakening a diamond. It does not weaken it any appreciable amount.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Dave.
There will be more and more of these high tech treatments over time and they will become nomal and more accepted in the market.
This one is probably done with intersecting lower powered laser beams the same way that they radiate cancer in humans.
I am not a great fan of fracture filled diamonds, but simple laser drilling and etching out of inclusions is a reasonable improvement method in my book.
garry

FionaH

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info. If this treatment doesn't leave a trace in the form of a lazer drilling line, is it possible that other "natural" diamonds are being treated in this way without the buyer knowing?

What are the signs that would give away that a stone had been "cooked" in this way?

Can the gem cert labs always tell that a stone has been treated like this?

What is the official name for this type of lazer treatment?

Is it completely permanent?

Still concerned......:loopy:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. too hard to describe the visual signature and effects.
2. yes it is permanent and because there is usually no surface hole it is an advantage over a simple hole which can get a bit of dirt in it.

dina wagner

Rough_Rock
Can you please tell me where you found this diamond? Can this diamond be subjected to any form of process? i.e.-any temp such as heat-- as in jewelry repairs, chemicals, and cleaning like a natural diamond can? Can you tell me what the professional/formal name of this CE process? Please, Please, I too do not prefer the fractured filled variety, the drilled variety was more appealing to me since it is permanent. Until, I read your post! I am dying to look at this kind of diamond. But, I want to know it GIA will certify it like, they certify laser drilled diamonds. I hear EGL's guidelines are not as strict in grading.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not know how you would go about finding such stones.
Matbe if you call Koss and Yehuda in NYC they may give you some clients names?

The process makes a lot of sense and i see no reason why these stones shuold be less durable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results