shape
carat
color
clarity

Converting a stick pin to a pendant

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey folks, as I was perusing the internet this morning I came across I really cool looking stick pin and I'm looking at it and started thinking, it would possibly make a cool pendant.

Now because I'm super thrifty and always up for a challenge I'm wondering with a certain degree of enthusiasm and some equipment and/or tools, is this something I can pull off myself? If so what tools would I need to accomplish this lofty idea? Granted I could probably find an already converted stick pin to pendant but I really want to convert it myself if at all possible.

On a side note the pin I'm looking at is solid gold with a small diamond in it. Yvonne Raley had a blog entry about this exact topic so I've started a little research but it seems there is not a lot out there unless I'm not looking hard enough.

TIA!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a pic please @StephanieLynn

Depending on how the diamond’s been set, it ‘should’ be possible fairly easily, but I’d need to see it before saying yes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a pic please @StephanieLynn

IMG_3018.jpg

Thanks Austina, so after looking I found one I liked even better 18kt on the head 14kt pin stem. Would this work or do I need something simpler and what should I look for?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show the profile and the back?
If I can see how the pin is attached, then I can better advise you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay here we go, some pictures that might be helpful lol!

IMG_3019.jpg IMG_3020.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a drawing explaining how you could convert this stick pin into a pendant with tools you probably already have.
#1. Trim the pin with wire cutters. File the rough edges smooth with a metal file, or sand paper.
#2. With needle nose pliers, bend the wire in an "s" shape to form a slide-type of bail. The pin may be hard to bend, be careful not to snap the pin.
The problem with this approach is that the pendant may pitch forward on the chain, due to the pin being attached at a weird angle.
#3. Go to a jeweler and have a simple bail soldered on.
If you have a jeweler solder a bail, then the pendant could hang like a teardrop, which would be more appealing as I have shown below #3.
I hope this helps!
But let me warn you that once you start making your own jewelry, there is no turning back! IMG_20171211_194929739.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a drawing explaining how you could convert this stick pin into a pendant with tools you probably already have.
#1. Trim the pin with wire cutters. File the rough edges smooth with a metal file, or sand paper.
#2. With needle nose pliers, bend the wire in an "s" shape to form a slide-type of bail. The pin may be hard to bend, be careful not to snap the pin.
The problem with this approach is that the pendant may pitch forward on the chain, due to the pin being attached at a weird angle.
#3. Go to a jeweler and have a simple bail soldered on.
If you have a jeweler solder a bail, then the pendant could hang like a teardrop, which would be more appealing as I have shown below #3.
I hope this helps!
But let me warn you that once you start making your own jewelry, there is no turning back! IMG_20171211_194929739.jpg

Thank you so much! What's funny is the way you suggested it hanging is the way I wanted it to hang, so great minds think alike. I could totally see myself having a little business of stick pin conversion pendants.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to @stracci2000 great drawings. I was going to suggest option 2, as I’ve done this with an earring, and it sits pretty well without flipping or twisting.

Before you attempt this, I’d suggest going to a hobby shop to get your pliers, buy some cheap jewellery wire in a similar gauge to the pin, and practice shaping and bending the wire.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Austina, that is a great suggestion. I know I said I wanted to make this a project but if I choose to have the jeweler put the bail on how much do you think they would charge?

My husband thinks this could be a little side job for me but of course that means I need equipment. So my thought with this is I buy this pin and convert it and sell it then use that money to buy the equipment I need.

Gotta say, I'm kind of excited if I can make some money off something I love anyways.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess what came today? Can I just say that trying to work with a stick pin is like trying to deal with a three year old having a tantrum!

So here are the pictures. What do you guys think?

IMG_3032.JPG IMG_3037.JPG IMG_3038.JPG IMG_3039.JPG IMG_3040.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty!:love:
Why don't you try it on a lapel and see if you like it as pin before you permanently change it.
I love pins and wear them on all my coats and jackets.
Here's what's on my coat today, vintage costume:
IMG_20171216_112231.jpg

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great pin you have there. Here is the thing, I don't wear jackets or blazers ever since I'm home with the three year old everyday. So unless putting a pin on a NorthFace is in vogue I'm out of luck lol!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well then creating a pendant is today's challenge!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results