shape
carat
color
clarity

Conversion sadness!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My jewellery class teacher posted a conversion she did in IG. It made me sad. She took out the emeralds from a necklace and made a cocktail ring. I personally think it's a pity!!!

What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200527-090141.png
    Screenshot_20200527-090141.png
    232 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20200527-090149.png
    Screenshot_20200527-090149.png
    404.5 KB · Views: 27

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the necklace was never being worn and the ring will be..............

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have liked the ring to have diamond side stones and used the 2 smaller emeralds as dangle earrings hanging from a bow (also from the
necklace). May not be her taste though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The original necklace is a lovely piece on its own, however, if it is not worn or loved for whatever reason(s), then it may as well be re-purposed into something more useful and treasured.

I have re-purposed 2 of my mum's pieces into something that I would wear: a MRB into a bangle; and a 6-stone carré cut band into another bracelet, as I shan't wear them as rings.

DK :))

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love the necklace, so it makes me sad. I would feel better about it if the necklace was kept in a state where the stones could be returned to it, so hopefully that is the case.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with you @fiona00004 ... The necklace was truly outstanding and an example of fine craftsmanship and a piece of history. The ring has nice stone proportions, but imho it's nowhere near the craftsmanship of the necklace. Evidently everyone is free to do as they please, but it makes me sad, too.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would never wear that necklace but I love the emerald 3 stone (ok so not the execution but the concept). So going against the flow here :D

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Antique necklace to ugly cheap looking ring. Clearly some conversions should NOT be done.

I agree.

If it's not something that you wear and you own it why not keep the center bow component and make a pendant and use the other bows and emeralds to make a pair of earrings? Why scrap it and just make it look like something you can buy at a mall store?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my feeling on this particular conversion would depend somewhat if the necklace was theirs to begin with, or purchased solely to dismantle.

I seem to feel differently about dismantling very plain bar pins vs pieces with intricate design work as well. There was a bar pin up for sale that in the description the seller went on to say something to the effect of ‘if you buy this to dismantle it you are dumb’.
To each their own.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am completely fine with conversion projects.

FWIW we have no way of knowing if the original bow necklace was an original either ... it may well have been a conversion project itself.

Still, based on the photos, I do prefer the look of the necklace over the 3-stone ring.

That said, I personally love bow brooches but would never ever wear a bow necklace ... if that necklace was mine, it would depend on the back story as to whether I would consider repurposing it -- i.e., if it was a multi-generational family heirloom, probably I would leave it alone and just look at it from time to time ... if it was a gift to me or passed down from the generation before me, I would convert the bottom bow/emerald portion into a brooch, and use the other stones for a ring.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the ring, though I would have done diamond side stones and made earrings as someone above suggested. The necklace, while beautiful, would have very limited use in my life! There are two emeralds left over. I wonder what happened to those and to the other components of the necklace.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think my feeling on this particular conversion would depend somewhat if the necklace was theirs to begin with, or purchased solely to dismantle.

I seem to feel differently about dismantling very plain bar pins vs pieces with intricate design work as well. There was a bar pin up for sale that in the description the seller went on to say something to the effect of ‘if you buy this to dismantle it you are dumb’.
To each their own.

It was labelled as an heirloom piece converted into a cocktail ring. So... inherited?

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
True! I am going to ask her about the leftover pieces!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes.
Original was beautiful.
Ring is poorly executed.
Pity.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the ring needs diamonds
the necklase was beautiful and im not a bow kind of gal at all
id wear the necklase but pass on the ring ....and i love cocktail rings and emeralds just not this one

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes.
Original was beautiful.
Ring is poorly executed.
Pity.

Haha you've summarised my thoughts about the ring perfectly! The ring is very very very yikes!!!

I think had it been a well made piece like David Klass's work I would still prefer the necklace but I'd understand.

That particular ring just looks nasty!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha you've summarised my thoughts about the ring perfectly! The ring is very very very yikes!!!

I think had it been a well made piece like David Klass's work I would still prefer the necklace but I'd understand.

That particular ring just looks nasty!

i pity those emeralds
they were nice and safe in that necklace

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I would happily wear that necklace daily!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
My jewellery class teacher posted a conversion she did in IG. It made me sad. She took out the emeralds from a necklace and made a cocktail ring. I personally think it's a pity!!!

What do you think?

I agree with you. I’d never convert that.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Those emeralds should definetely only be worn as earring or necklace emeralds.

Not made for a ring- they just look dirty.

If the conversion becomes more beautiful than the original piece- Im all for it, but to create the most basic dingy ring out of an inherited and intricate necklace is a big loss.
Sometimes just because you can, doesnt mean you should.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m OK with converted pieces as jewelry is meant to be worn and enjoyed. But this particular conversion makes me sad, too. They took what was a special piece and made the most basic thing out of it. It would be like if I inherited a Monet and let my kid finger paint all over it because I love my kid and what they create. Hopefully the necklace is OK and new stones can be put in and it can find a new owner.

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the original necklace for what it is. The diamond bows and how the original necklace was designed is beautiful. But with that said, I probably wouldn’t wear it as I don’t attend events which would lend that type of ‘look.’ I do hope thought the necklace will be able to still be rehabbed or re-purposed. This brings up another thought though as I often think about conversions and what pieces would make for a ’successful’ abeit wearable conversion piece. I think I’ll start a new thread for discussion.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

What do you think?

This still makes me so sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results