shape
carat
color
clarity

Contrasting nail polish on the ring finger?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1355366808|3329947 said:
After seeing a few examples ... Is it always the ring finger that's the accent nail? If so, why? (I know, I know, I'm one step away from asking why those kids are on my lawn in the first place.) I actually think it looks cool - :) - I just like to know the rationale behind these things.

:confused: Shrug. Even before this current trend, I have done nail art, and they always do it on the ring finger. Ring finger, and big toes! I guess it's because it's less likely to get ruined? The pointer finger and thumb get damaged easier, since they're used more often.. the pinky is ruled out b/c too small… which leaves the middle and ring. Maybe the middle finger being accented is too close to the middle finger insult? Shrug shrug shrug. I don't think it has anything to do with e-rings or whatever, since kids don't have those.. but I do think the reason for picking the ring finger for both rings and nails are similar. It's the finger that's "out of the way".

Phoenix, it's not my sapphire, it's one I was trying on for size at a jewelry store (hence the jewelry display in the background). I was trying to see how a halo that large would look :bigsmile: I've got my sapphire, I just need to save money for the setting. Eventually I'll post ;))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1355380254|3330061 said:
[
Phoenix, it's not my sapphire, it's one I was trying on for size at a jewelry store (hence the jewelry display in the background). I was trying to see how a halo that large would look :bigsmile: I've got my sapphire, I just need to save money for the setting. Eventually I'll post ;))

I see, I thought maybe you were showing it off to your jewellers, he he...I do that all the time with my stuff! :cheeky: :twirl:

Well, in this case, do you have a thread on your sapphire? Dont' you also have a gorgeous OEC?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
I also like to do it how audball and madelise do it...with only a slightly different color on the ring finger, or an extra coat of glitter. I rarely ever do a completely different color. That being said, they are currently gold with a gunmetal/silver ring finger haha.

I usually accent the ring finger...it's kind of like rings in that it just plain looks better and more balanced on that finger. Plus all the reasons madelise already stated. When I was in high school I rocked nails with 2 different colors at a time and I would sometimes do the ring and middle or ring and pointer a different color than the rest. That was 7 years ago haha.

puppmom no need to buy 5 different bottles...if you have one that's darker, have her add a spot of the original color to a piece of wax paper or some sort of disposable container, and mix a drop of white to it for each nail and shade it down that way! ::)

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandabee, I didn't even think of that! I just saw $$ thinking that it would be an awful lot nail polish to accomplish that look!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1355403966|3330156 said:
madelise|1355380254|3330061 said:
[

I see, I thought maybe you were showing it off to your jewellers, he he...I do that all the time with my stuff! :cheeky: :twirl:

Well, in this case, do you have a thread on your sapphire? Dont' you also have a gorgeous OEC?

Nope, no thread. It's safely stored away. I don't think I can set it for some time. Everything's been delayed with recent financial realizations. I forget sometimes that my bank account isn't superman. I'm just hoping to set it for my "something blue". And yes, I also have a few old cut diamonds :)) I am an aficionado for all things old.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1355409713|3330196 said:
puppmom no need to buy 5 different bottles...if you have one that's darker, have her add a spot of the original color to a piece of wax paper or some sort of disposable container, and mix a drop of white to it for each nail and shade it down that way! ::)

Oh, that is such a good idea!!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
After reading this thread, I'm noticing the trend! The girl who checked me out at Target tonight had nails that were like sunsets, yellow to orange to red. But on her ring fingers they were cool colors instead, like dusk - purple to blue to black. Looked very cool. :cheeky:

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
pandabee said:
I also like to do it how audball and madelise do it...with only a slightly different color on the ring finger, or an extra coat of glitter. I rarely ever do a completely different color.

I usually accent the ring finger...it's kind of like rings in that it just plain looks better and more balanced on that finger.

Ditto! I used to work in a very conservative environment, so now I enjoy having fun with my manis. Right now I am rocking a classic red for the holidays (OPI's I'm Not Really a Waitress).

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Did the trend never die or is it just back?

I am 31 and I remember when I was about 16 I would get the acrylic nails. I was in there every 2 weeks getting them filled and I had the accent on my ring finger done waaaaay back then.

I really am not into it. Maybe because it did it for such a long time before.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
radiantquest|1355533526|3331698 said:

I am 31 and I remember when I was about 16 I would get the acrylic nails. I was in there every 2 weeks getting them filled and I had the accent on my ring finger done waaaaay back then.

Haha you must have just been ahead of the crowd! I had a patient ask me the other day...she was like is there some special meaning to it?? She saw it on her son's girlfriend and I think she was concerned there was a secret meaning :lol: I told her not to worry, just us girls being girls!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1355316920|3329224 said:
Why I am not surprised that this is the first I've heard of this trend? :rolleyes:

It's a common saying: WA doesn't stand for Western Australia, it stands for "Wait Awhile" and maybe we'll get what the rest of the world has. :lol:

Holy cwap, I've been ignoring this thread because the whole concept seemed too scary for me.
diamond manicures I can take (make that read about) but this? Not for this little WA duck lol

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

It came back, but this time, with changing the base color.

Like you, in HS, I was having my acrylics done every 2 wks. I would always choose a simple neutral color (pinks, beige, cream) and the accent nail would be a design like the one audball posted. The design on the ring finger was a HUGE trend back then. The changing of the base color is the latest twist on the trend when it came back into style.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1355661691|3332588 said:

Haha you must have just been ahead of the crowd! I had a patient ask me the other day...she was like is there some special meaning to it?? She saw it on her son's girlfriend and I think she was concerned there was a secret meaning :lol: I told her not to worry, just us girls being girls!!

LOL!!! Man, she must have been scarred from the weird teenage stuff. Think: the jelly bracelets trend of 2005-2006.

jelly_bracelets.jpg

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I did something a little crazier and have on three different nail polish colors...and I actually LOVE the look! I was trying to get them to do a design on my middle finger (I found a fun look on pintrest that I wanted to try out), but they just couldn't make it look good, so I opted for just polish on each. Hot pink, gold glitter and black.

fun_nails.jpg

pintrest_inspiration.jpg

happy_30th_to_me_.jpg

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
StacylikesSparkles said:
I did something a little crazier and have on three different nail polish colors...and I actually LOVE the look! I was trying to get them to do a design on my middle finger (I found a fun look on pintrest that I wanted to try out), but they just couldn't make it look good, so I opted for just polish on each. Hot pink, gold glitter and black.
Stacy, you are adorable!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Rosebloom|1356023044|3336564 said:
StacylikesSparkles said:
Stacy, you are adorable!

Aww!! Thank you, Rosebloom!! You are too sweet! ;-)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1355708765|3333053 said:

LOL!!! Man, she must have been scarred from the weird teenage stuff. Think: the jelly bracelets trend of 2005-2006.

jelly_bracelets.jpg

2005-2006? I remember those being cool from 2002-2004.

I love the way you did your nails, btw - I was just thinking about doing that. Nude nails with ombre glitter tips and then a full glitter nail.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1356025720|3336616 said:
madelise|1355708765|3333053 said:

jelly_bracelets.jpg

2005-2006? I remember those being cool from 2002-2004.

I love the way you did your nails, btw - I was just thinking about doing that. Nude nails with ombre glitter tips and then a full glitter nail.

Going to do nude nails with ombre glitter today! LOL you read my mind. I had the ombre glitter on red, but they chipped a few days ago. I'll post when I get em done.

Stacy, you look fantastic! You and your hubby both look SO YOUNG!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
You are too sweet, Madelise! I just turned the big 3-0 on Tuesday, but the hubs will only be 27 in February...I'm a cradle robber and I LOVE it! Lol 8-)

I can't wait to see your nails by the way! Don't forget to post the ombre glitter!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I started seeing it here so I think it just caught on.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
StacylikesSparkles|1356031543|3336676 said:
You are too sweet, Madelise! I just turned the big 3-0 on Tuesday, but the hubs will only be 27 in February...I'm a cradle robber and I LOVE it! Lol 8-)

I can't wait to see your nails by the way! Don't forget to post the ombre glitter!

I posted the pics here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/liw-manicures.182794/page-4#post-3336856#p3336856
It's not a ring finger contrast, so I didn't want to post here : )

I decided to do the ombre from the root, not the tip, so I can continue to cover nail growth. My last mani lasted me two weeks, I'm hoping this will hit 3 or even 4 by covering the roots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results