shape
carat
color
clarity

Contour setting or tiffany setting for solitaire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Yet another dilemma!

I have posted on previous threads about whether or not to get an eternity band or a whole new wedding set with some $ that my mom is giving me. The whole idea is to get something in rememberance of my grandparents.

Most of you said I should get the new wedding set and that''s what I was leaning toward until I tried on a few eternity bands and just went gaa-gaa over them. Plus, the jeweler had a very interesting point -- he said FWIW, he would get the eternity band. He said he has been a gemologist and in the jewelry business for over 20 years. Wedding set styles come and go and he has had women come in and change their wedding set 2, sometimes 3 times to reflect what''s "in". He said he has never had anyone return an eternity band because it was out of style. Plus, he said, your wedding set should be from your husband, not your grandparents. He had some very valid points. Thus, I am leaning toward the eternity band but I am still waiting for the jeweler to get the one I ordered just so I can try it on.
11.gif

That being said, I was debating about whether to keep my solitaire in the contour setting it is now in or have it put into a stuller 4 prong tiffany setting. The contour is too wide for my tastes, however, everyone at my house Sunday loves it the way it is.

I don''t have a band I could take a picture with so maybe it will be apparent in these photos. I am leaning toward putting it in the thinner setting (only 2.4mm vs 3.5mm).

Here''s the contour setting.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Whoops! Didn''t come up. Let''s try it again.

solitaire_1.jpg

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry! Not the best shot. Let me try once more.

15rest_2.jpg

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s what the thinner tiffany setting looks like. This one has a sim in it.

Thanks for your help.

sim.jpg

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
I think you need to try them on together before making a decision, to know what''s comfortable.

You didn''t say what type of eternity band setting-- channel set or shared prong, for example.

My DH recently gave me an eternity band (4 tcw total, it was so pretty!) in a shared prong setting. I was wearing it with a Tiffany setting (2mm) and my platinum wedding band (3mm) and it was terribly uncomfortable! I hated the way it felt, and I also thought it was too much on my finger (I have tiny hands, a size 3.5 ring). However, it did look nice... but we returned it.

Your fingers appear longer than mine, so you may have plenty of room for a wider setting... also, you might not have a sensitive hand (I found out that I do
9.gif
). I have seen lots of bling on the SMTR forum where women have three pretty wide diamond bands and they look gorgeous. Just not a look I can pull off, it seems.

This shared prong band with a Tiffany solitaire is one of my favorite looks of all time:

tiffanysetclassic.jpg

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I should have been more specific about the eternity band. It is 1.5ct channel set princess cut diamonds. I don''t know the actual mm width of it - if I were to guess I would say probably 3.5 or 4 mm. I tried both settings on in the store with it but imy guess is the contour setting will be more uncomfortable over time. As it is now, I wear the contour setting with my diamond wedding band and it is not the most comfortable combination. That''s why I am seriously thinking about the thinner tiffany setting.

Plus, my fingers are sensitive too. Two rings are not the most comfortable for me to wear, which is why the eternity band is probably good because I could wear it by itself most of the time and wear the solitaire when I want some *bling*.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Ha! Ha!, I bought a Tiffany solitaire & now wish I had bought a matching wedding set instead. I''ve tried eternity band after eternity band & nothing will sit flush. The gap really bothers me. Can you try on the eternity band with the Tiffany you''re thinking of resetting with? That way you''ll know. Of course if you don''t mind the gap then it won''t be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results