shape
carat
color
clarity

Contact Lense Donation?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Are there any organizations that accept contact lense donations?

About a year ago I switched to Acuvue Oasys and started having problems with my lenses shortly after. My eye doctor tried to fix the problem for about 6 months, but after that I just gave up and wore my glasses all the time. I''d ordered a year''s supply when I first got the subscription so I have about a 6 month supply left. Apparently the contact lense material of these particular contacts does not work with my tear chemistry so I have to switch brands now (new eye doctor figured it out!).

Anyway, I have all these contacts and would hate to have them just sitting in my bathroom until they expire. I searched online, but coulnd''t find anything.

Any suggestions?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
there probably isn''t anything you can do with them. i have no knowledge but base the statement on something that happened to me. i tried to give about a ninety day supply of insulin to the local health department to give to a needy person if they knew of someone. i knew the nurse there and didn''t think it would be a problem since no seals were broken and they knew me and where it came from so if there was a problem they could come after me. they declined it and said they would not be allowed to do that. i assume your lens are also prescription. anyway i tried to help out someone but had to end up throwing many bottles of insulin out since it was no longer the type we needed.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since contact lenses are dispensed by prescription I don't think there's anything you can do but throw them out. The problem you had with the formulation sort of points to why they shouldn't just be given to someone else.

BTW I learned this the long way. Some time ago I was helping clear out a friend's belonging after her death and noticed that she had a recently filled prescription for a prescription sleep medicine that's advertised on TV a lot. Knowing how my friend was always the first to lend someone else a helping hand, I called my mother, a former nurse, to see if there was a way to get the prescription to someone in need.

I think she went on for about 10 minutes, explaining why I could not do that! [We ended up bringing all of my friend's meds to the hospital pharmacy for disposal.]

ETA you might contact an organization like Doctors without Borders. Maybe they have eye doctors that could dispense them.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Couldn''t you bring them to the doctor you go to? I know mine will take unopened lenses. I wish there were an organization that takes them - I always end up with extras because sometimes one or two in a box will be defective. So I have about 4 ''right eye'' contacts that are sitting around!!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I guess I could try bringing them to the doctor. I was just thinking it would be easier to donate them to an organization that''s already set up to handle it.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Robbie, look what I found! (from http://www.aclens.com/contact_lens_forums/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=8&tid=779)

"Friends of MADRE,

Thank you so much for your interest in the Helping Hands program. We would, be so grateful for the contact lenses. They are very hard to come by even in donation form. We do require that the contacts be sealed, and we also request that the expiration date be not less than six months from now.

If you will send us the lenses we will send a letter of receipt. Please,include any pertinent information, name, address, and phone number.

It is so thoughtful of you to consider donating your lenses. We appreciate your help.

Best,

Kylee Kidder
--
Helping Hands Coordinator
MADRE, An International Women''s Human Rights Organization
121 West 27th Street, #301
New York, NY 10001
212.627.0444 (tel)
212.675.3704 (fax)
[email protected]
www.MADRE.org"

I don''t know anything about MADRE, but that post was from 3/23/07 so they should still be accepting donations.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 5:49:07 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Couldn''t you bring them to the doctor you go to? I know mine will take unopened lenses. I wish there were an organization that takes them - I always end up with extras because sometimes one or two in a box will be defective. So I have about 4 ''right eye'' contacts that are sitting around!!

That''s exactly what I do with mine - take the unopened ones back to the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results