shape
carat
color
clarity

Consumer confidence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mike c

Rough_Rock
this morning, one which we get on a regular basis.

The question is always the same, and our answer is always the same.

It usually starts with, "I am buying a diamond how can I be sure that I am getting what I am told".

the answer is simple.

No matter where you are buying a stone you need to firstly make sure the retailer is reputable.

A good way to determine this, is by the certificate they provide you with the diamond.

If you are offered a certificate from a reputable laboratory that is recognised by the world associations you can be sure you are getting what you are told. And dealing with a reputable retailer.

If you are offered a bogus certificate or an in house certificate of valuation you should shop elsewhere.

This advice to be simple and seems logical, YET we constantly see consumers who have been caught out.

Why is this?

Well today, I would like to share what we see.

The consumer is sceptical and mistrusting by nature,YET

when they are involved in a emotional purchase and at their most vulnerable, the sharks come out to feed,playing on the feeling of the moment and the feeling between the couple.

It takes very little to convince a first time, uninformed person that they are getting a great deal, especially with very official looking paperwork.

This always ends in tears and usually the feeling is they will never trust again.

It is amazing that a few unethical traders who perpetuate these problems bring doubt on to the industry as a whole,and my personal view is that we should stand together and get rid of them once and for all.

Point out the pit falls to your customers, they do appreciate it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2007 8:33:29 PM
Author:mike c

It is amazing that a few unethical traders who perpetuate these problems bring doubt on to the industry as a whole,and my personal view is that we should stand together and get rid of them once and for all.
You can say that 10 times.
Sometimes I feel bad for the honest, hardworking vendors that are in an industry with such a bad reputation.
Especially when they see someone who is dishonest raking in millions when they have too fight to stay in business.

Which labs do you see as legit? (I''m not familiar with whats on the Australian market which may be different than here.)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mike we rarely get asked that question in my 2 stores.
And we sell many uncertified diamonds.
Tiffany sell uncertified diamonds.
And many other honest people in our industry have been selling uncerted diamonds for a very long time.

Lab reports became popular with consumers when a whole lot of charlatans started selling "investment diamonds" 27 years ago. Prior to that, and for a lot of the time inbetween reports were primarily a way for viable B2B trade to happen at great distances.

Perhaps you should participate in PR to engender consumer confidence? Or is your agenda primarily to build public awareness of the existence of diamond grading reports in a community where there has been a long tradition of trust?

I personally saw and graded some of the diamonds that were used in one of your PR campaigns. Your lab said on TV that they should have been sold with diamond grading reports. But you would have been well aware that some of those diamonds would have cost less than your grading reports.
Is that a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I received a call this morning, one which we get on a regular basis.

The question is always the same, and our answer is always the same.

It usually starts with, ''I am buying a diamond how can I be sure that I am getting what I am told''.

the answer is simple.

No matter where you are buying a stone you need to firstly make sure the retailer is reputable.

A good way to determine this, is by the certificate they provide you with the diamond.
The report a retailer offers does not determine the retailers reputation!!!

If you are offered a certificate from a reputable laboratory that is recognised by the world associations you can be sure you are getting what you are told. And dealing with a reputable retailer.

What??? If I get a certificate..., I can be "SURE" I am getting what I am told..., AND dealing with a REPUTABLE retailer?????????????????

If you are offered a bogus certificate or an in house certificate of valuation you should shop elsewhere.

Not necessarily...

This advice to be simple and seems logical, YET we constantly see consumers who have been caught out.

Why is this?

Well today, I would like to share what we see.

The consumer is sceptical and mistrusting by nature,YET

when they are involved in a emotional purchase and at their most vulnerable, the sharks come out to feed,playing on the feeling of the moment and the feeling between the couple.

It takes very little to convince a first time, uninformed person that they are getting a great deal, especially with very official looking paperwork.

This always ends in tears and usually the feeling is they will never trust again.

Are you realistic???? Yes..., lets put them in front of a firing squat
31.gif

Point out the pit falls to your customers, they do appreciate it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 3:38:20 AM
Author: strmrdr

You can say that 10 times.
Sometimes I feel bad for the honest, hardworking vendors that are in an industry with such a bad reputation.
Especially when they see someone who is dishonest raking in millions when they have too fight to stay in business.

Which labs do you see as legit? (I''m not familiar with whats on the Australian market which may be different than here.)
Storm..., I am assuming you are pointing this fact to the Jewelry industry!
I personally dont see this industry as having "such a bad reputation".

Sorry...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2007 5:09:55 AM
Author: DiaGem
I personally dont see this industry as having 'such a bad reputation'.

Sorry...
ask the average person what they think of the industry.
I have and its an eye opener.
Just the other day someone I know said: She wants diamond studs for her birthday its time to go get riped off again.
And that is typical around here,,,,,

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 5:19:51 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 9/6/2007 5:09:55 AM
I personally dont see this industry as having ''such a bad reputation''.

Sorry...
ask the average person what they think of the industry.
I have and its an eye opener.
Just the other day someone I know said: She wants diamond studs for her birthday its time to go get riped off again.
And that is typical around here,,,,,
Maybe "he" meant... Its time to get riped off again by paying soooo much
22.gif
for a tiny piece that looks like glass
31.gif

I still dont think this industry has a bad rep...
12.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are people who buy (whatever) occasionally - they shop around and buy (bikes, camera''s, jewels....) from different peple each time. They never trust anyone, and they find the least trust worthy people who offer the cheapest price (on deleted models) with the worst service and back up. The gutter press and silly web questionaires find such people and blow their opinions out of context (in my opinion).

And there are the vast majority of people who have the ability to find a decent vendor and establish an ongoing relationship backed up by a friends referral - or they refer friends and get recognized as clients to ''look after''. whatever the goods or services.

That has been the buying selling relationship development process since coconuts were traded for donkeys and spices.

Sophisiticated products like independant grading reports that add more value than the vendor''s value add are a fairly new thing. I am not sure they will not out run their own race.

Certainly IDL''s new colour grade system is recieveing a very positive and refreshing onsideration from many folk. An honest black box.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 7:47:19 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
There are people who buy (whatever) occasionally - they shop around and buy (bikes, camera''s, jewels....) from different peple each time. They never trust anyone, and they find the least trust worthy people who offer the cheapest price (on deleted models) with the worst service and back up. The gutter press and silly web questionaires find such people and blow their opinions out of context (in my opinion).

And there are the vast majority of people who have the ability to find a decent vendor and establish an ongoing relationship backed up by a friends referral - or they refer friends and get recognized as clients to ''look after''. whatever the goods or services.

That has been the buying selling relationship development process since coconuts were traded for donkeys and spices.

Sophisiticated products like independant grading reports that add more value than the vendor''s value add are a fairly new thing. I am not sure they will not out run their own race.
I am sooo with you on that one!
Certainly IDL''s new colour grade system is recieveing a very positive and refreshing onsideration from many folk. An honest black box.
Garry..., did you have a chance to personally view and compare some Diamonds graded IDL?
I would love to hear some pro-feedback.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They were in IIJS - i was not but Sergey and Janak were - should hear a report soon
3.gif

BTW DG - there was a time when we had great debates - what happened? We seem to be agreeing all the time?

Reminds me of the old story:

"My wife ran of with my best friend, and I miss him"

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 8:01:44 AM
They were in IIJS - i was not but Sergey and Janak were - should hear a report soon
3.gif

BTW DG - there was a time when we had great debates - what happened? We seem to be agreeing all the time?

Reminds me of the old story:

'My wife ran of with my best friend, and I miss him'
Garry..., When you get a report..., can you share?

In regards to our debates..., what can I do if you are a fast learner
27.gif
And you (as I) think this industry does NOT have a bad Rep!!!

But I can easily push the button again
31.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 8:14:30 AM

Date: 9/6/2007 8:10:04 AM
31.gif
DG have you thought of recutting that stone on your avatar?

You could probably get something nice out of it with as much as 60% yeild
2.gif
Garry..., Not that easily....
10.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 8:18:04 AM

31.gif

2.gif
10.gif
I know, i know DG.

Send me a Sarin scan and I will see what I can do to help you improve it.
12.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2007 8:19:37 AM

Date: 9/6/2007 8:18:04 AM

31.gif

2.gif
10.gif
I know, i know DG.

Send me a Sarin scan and I will see what I can do to help you improve it.
12.gif
Garry..., take my word for it..., you would shoot yourself first before YOU would consider re-ouch-cutting this magnificent GEM
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results