carat
color
clarity

Considering double claw prongs for princess

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

You know there are so many lovely pieces on PS that it gets you thinking and although I love my ring, I'm thinking that the refinement of double claw prongs may just make me love it that much more.

Here is the question, first is do I even consider double claw prongs for a princess and second since I love my setting could a good jeweler just change out the head or would I really need a whole new setting? My current ring is platinum and center stone is 1.01 carats. It is very dreary here today so these pictures are not the best.

TIA!

image.jpg

image.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do single claw. That is what I am doing with my 1.52 asscher. Caysle said double would be too much look, but she is doing a new setting. I believe it was more to do with stone size over setting though.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double claw prongs would leave the corners of your princess completely unprotected and vulnerable. Princesses are fragile enough, I would leave your prongs as is.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your setting looks like my blue nile solitare for my stone. Good setting, but not fluid or graceful with the chunky prongs (speaking of mine...lol)

Caysie is going to open my setting up... let me find the CAD

ETA: I realize I don't know what I am talking about because like asscherhalo says, princess has corners that need protection while an asscher has clipped corners.

Here is a piece of my cad with single claw for an example

IMG_0692.PNG

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Asscherhalo and Whitewave. When I was upgrading (pre-loved) I had a choice of this setting or the exact same with double claw prongs, I passed on the claws at the time for that very reason Asscher. Recently though I've been thinking...maybe but I realize the points are the weak spot with princess stones.

Whitewave, I think of my setting as functional and not necessarily the most beautiful so like yours I really lack that fluidness you refer to. However I literally wear mine all the time so although I would love a little refinement, might need to go with that saying...if it ain't broke...

Can't wait to see your new setting though, I'll live vicariously through others for now ;-)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. My setting is a good, solid, sturdy setting that has done well protecting my stone.

You know how it goes... come on here, see bespoke settings.... feel ambivalent about strong sturdy setting.... contact CVBID... lol.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephanie...I would also go with single claw prongs...Have you seen double claws on a princess? Can you post a picture? I have seen double prongs
on a princess but not claw. I think double prongs on a princess are just distracting. I would like to see one with double claws though.

Do you have a good jeweler to work with? I dont think just anyone could do claw prongs on a princess much less double claw prongs.

Do the ends of your cathedrals connect with the basket? If they dont then you can probably just replace the head but if they do connect then I'm
not sure...do you think a good jeweler could take the prongs you have and split them and turn them into double claw prongs? There looks to be
plenty of metal there but I just dont know enough about what a good jeweler could do.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephanie...I would also go with single claw prongs...Have you seen double claws on a princess? Can you post a picture? I have seen double prongs
on a princess but not claw. I think double prongs on a princess are just distracting. I would like to see one with double claws though.

Do you have a good jeweler to work with? I dont think just anyone could do claw prongs on a princess much less double claw prongs.

Do the ends of your cathedrals connect with the basket? If they dont then you can probably just replace the head but if they do connect then I'm
not sure...do you think a good jeweler could take the prongs you have and split them and turn them into double claw prongs? There looks to be
plenty of metal there but I just dont know enough about what a good jeweler could do.

Hmmm maybe I am using the wrong terminology with double claw but I found a picture, I wasn't however able to find a picture of single claw.

I don't really buy much jewelry and although I have worked with jewelry in the past, whether they would be capable of doing this, not so sure. Would need to do more research for sure.

The cathedrals do connect and contain bead set diamonds on either side...so maybe messing with the head would be a bad idea. As far as splitting the existing prongs, they do seem thick enough but then finding someone capable....

Now I'm thinking if I did decide to go ahead with this it would probably make more sense to reset it into a new setting because they are so many variables working with the existing one.

As someone else pointed out it would really expose the diamond at its weakest point so I don't know that it's worth it then you know?

IMG_1988.jpg

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi All,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but IMO it would be nearly impossible to have delicate claw prongs on your princess cut.

Princess cuts are almost always set in ball prongs or V tips as this allows the diamond setter to drill out a void in the metal of the prong. The corner of the princess cut must be safely oriented in this void, meaning the diamond is actually being held in place by the metal contacting the diamond on the areas each side of the point.

In the image attached, the black lines represent the edges of the diamond and the red area represents the typical void that is drilled out to protect the corner of the princes cut.

If the corner of the princess cut touches the metal, it will chip.

If there is insufficient metal to hold the diamond securely, the diamond can be easily torqued which will turn the point into the prong and ding, (it really does make that sound) it's chipped.

Princess cut prong.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Knox, thank you for your post, looks like I will be scrapping this idea but this is why PS is so great, to bring you back down to earth when you need it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results