shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering Cartier Three-Gold Wedding Band

MatroidX

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Getting married soon and looking at wedding rings. Cartier's three-gold wedding band caught our eye (http://www.cartier.us/collections/engagement/wedding-bands/b4052900-three-gold-wedding-band). It's $4650 for 18k gold 3mm band with about 0.33K of diamonds (G+ color, VS+ clarity). The matching male ring costs $1750 and is also 18K (http://www.cartier.us/collections/engagement/wedding-bands/b4052100-three-gold-wedding-band). They do look quite nice, but I'm worried we're paying too much for what we're getting.

My bride-to-be definitely wants channel setting (doesn't want any protrusions/prefers smooth surface for daily use), but doesn't have a strong preference between gold or platinum band (we've strongly considered rings of both types). Definitely wants the diamonds to shine though :) Also very reluctant to buy online, since she wants to see it in person (which I definitely understand; hard to tell what it will really look like from pictures).

Any suggestions out there as to alternatives? (We are shopping near San Jose, CA, USA if that helps). Or an estimate of how much we're paying for the brand name?

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are paying approximately 2x more for the branding. For comparison, take a look at the link below. The diamonds are cut to top notch specification for maximum sparkle. The men's band, on the other hand, will have to be custom made but would still cost 1/2 the Cartier price.
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/eternity

MatroidX

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1414589184|3774387 said:
You are paying approximately 2x more for the branding. For comparison, take a look at the link below. The diamonds are cut to top notch specification for maximum sparkle. The men's band, on the other hand, will have to be custom made but would still cost 1/2 the Cartier price.
http://www.whiteflash.com/wedding-rings/eternity

That sounds about right to me. But any suggestions on non-online stores that offer similar quality? We stopped by Kay's and Zales and didn't find anything nearly as impressive. (I know I could save more online, but so far cannot convince my fiance of that route :wall: )

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
The rings you chose are exceptional, and unique to Cartier. When you're buying a piece like this from Cartier, you're also buying 150+ years of innovative design, craftsmanship, and a premium brand that will be around (live and in person) to service the piece in the years to come. That counts for something. If you can swing it, I would surprise your bride-to-be with the Cartier bands. They're stunning!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kays and Zales are the very last place I would shop for diamonds. Basically, I would stay away from any chain type mall stores.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joe Escobar is a favorite jeweler among San Jose area PS'ers... might be worth checking out if you're in the Campbell area.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1414608554|3774566 said:
The rings you chose are exceptional, and unique to Cartier. When you're buying a piece like this from Cartier, you're also buying 150+ years of innovative design, craftsmanship, and a premium brand that will be around (live and in person) to service the piece in the years to come. That counts for something. If you can swing it, I would surprise your bride-to-be with the Cartier bands. They're stunning!

...it counts for something to some people. It doesn't amount to a hill of beans to others. I agree with Chrono that there are other options to investigate. Then if he wants the Cartier name (as my friend canuk-gal did) he should go for it. But he should go for it informed, not brainwashed.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results