shape
carat
color
clarity

Confusion over pink stones

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
A couple of years ago I bought a few morganites and kunzites. All but three were labelled so I took those to our local jewellery store where I was told they were all amethysts :confused:

I know that both kunzites and morganites are beryls, but amethysts are part of the quartz family.

Should I try another jeweller??

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you trying to find out if your jeweler's description is accurate? If so find a good GIA graduate appraiser who will test your stones. My appraiser will spend an hour testing stones for $40. If I want a written appraisal with pics then she charges slightly more.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
isaku5|1315702514|3014733 said:
A couple of years ago I bought a few morganites and kunzites. All but three were labelled so I took those to our local jewellery store where I was told they were all amethysts :confused:

I know that both kunzites and morganites are beryls, but amethysts are part of the quartz family.

Kunzite is a spodumene, morganite is a beryl.

Establishing if a stone is a quartz (amethyst) takes a minute with a polariscope and conoscope. Did the guy use that or a refractometer or anything? You're probably better finding someone who is a GG or FGA to look at them for you. A lot of jewellers wouldn't even know what a kunzite was...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very easy to separate the three. The RI of Morganite is (1.572-1.600), Kunzite (1.660-1.676) and Amethyst (1.544 - 1.553). This test can be done very quickly by most appraisers/jewellers.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1315703586|3014741 said:
isaku5|1315702514|3014733 said:

Kunzite is a spodumene, morganite is a beryl.

Establishing if a stone is a quartz (amethyst) takes a minute with a polariscope and conoscope. Did the guy use that or a refractometer or anything? You're probably better finding someone who is a GG or FGA to look at them for you. A lot of jewellers wouldn't even know what a kunzite was...

Thanks for the correction, Pandora. :bigsmile:

All this guy did was use a loupe on all three loose stones. I will check with a GG to find out the RI of all three. Thanks so much LovingDiamonds. :appl: :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup. Odds are they have no idea what kunzite or morganite are!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, I wouldn't dare eyeball a stone with a loupe and state what it is. Please have somebody with a refractometer take a look at it.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
If you have a black light, your kunzite might fluoresce a nifty orange color. (It depends on its origins and treatments)

I don't think that morganite or quartz fluoresce. I could be wrong though and I'm sure someone will correct me :D

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Davi and Chrono. I'm almost certain this guy doesn't have a clue about either morganite or kunzite. The jeweller I should have taken it to is closed Mondays, but I left a message on his voice mail. Hopefully, we'll be able to have them assessed tomorrow. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results