shape
carat
color
clarity

Confusing Alexandrite

newToAlexandrite

Rough_Rock
Hello PS, I bought a brazillian alexandrite a few week ago. After wearing it for several days, I observe a strange phenomenon. This stone exhibit a tiny amount of red-purple under daylight, and bluish green under yellow light. Under some light that I think is quite "white" this stone exhibit somewhat bluish green color with somewhat reddish "shadow". Is this phenomenon normal? The stone come with AGL Brief

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it is quite normal. Most lighting situations are not completely pure - there will be some outside light coming in, a brightly coloured sofa reflecting coloured light or the light source itself will be emitting other frequencies as well. Most colour change stones will look as you describe most of the time. To get the pure colour, you will need a controlled environment with only one light source in the correct temperature.

newToAlexandrite

Rough_Rock
Correct temperature? Temperature can affected the color as well :-o

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, don't worry! Colour temperature refers to the colour of the light emitted by the light source, as in "cooler light" or "warmer light." For example, white light bulbs are rated between 5000k and 6000k, with 6000k being considered a cool white and 5000k a warm white. A incandescent light bulb is around 2700k and sunlight (depending on where you are) is 4000k.

So, if you have a mixture of light source or light sources that fall between the incandescent/fluorescent temperatures, your alexandrite will have shades of both colours at time. This can cause some stones to look a little muddy and why some people dislike colour change stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady D has shared excellent advice; we are in mixed lighting most of the time, hence it is common to see a mixture of the purple and blue green side at the same time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results