shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused :-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sue Johnson

Rough_Rock
We have just started looking into then finer points of buying a diamond, and I have to say, I don’t know how we’re ever going to choose one!!
The ring we are planning to have made has quite a wide, square, flat band with channel set baguette side stones and an Emerald Cut center stone which sites on top. This means that the center stone needs to be pretty substantial to keep the right proportions.
Our budget for the center stone is about $10k and I have found one but it seems pretty cheap compared to the others. What could be wrong with it?
Weight – 1.65ct
Colour – F
Clarity – VVS2
Depth – 64.1%
Table – 61%
Lab – GIA
Girdle – t
Culet – sm
Cut – Good
Polish – Very Good
Flourescence – no
Dimensions - 9*5.6*3.59
$8999Another vendor appears to have the same diamond for $9374.
Any advice to steer me through the diamond jungle greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
That does not look like an unusual price variation to me. Each dealer adds his/her own markup depending on preference, overhead, services offered, the price he/she paid for the diamond, etc.

Sue Johnson

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I think I have confused the issue. I was more wondering about the price and quality than the difference between vendors (which relatively speaking is insignificant as you point out). For a 1.65 ct diamond, the price seemed quite low?
Thanks

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Well, actually, I did a price search on www.pricescope.com and there is one vendor whose price is even lower.I'm not sure what the issue is with the price on that stone. Is that length to width ratio to your liking? I'm not questioning it, just something to consider.You may want to have it sent to an independent appraiser like Dave Atlas, www.gemappraisers.com for his opinion before you have the stone sent to you. Many dealers will send a stone to him before you even pay for it. Then, if you like it, you pay.Good luck
smile.gif

Sue Johnson

Rough_Rock
Thanks!Would you say these look like good credentials for an emerald cut? Anything else I should bear in mind? It's such a big decision I need all the advice I can get!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Based on the table and total depth the stone is belong to 2A AGA class which is very good. However to be more certain, one should check other factors like crown and pavilion...Lawmax is right, if you are going to spend that much money, better to check it with independent expert...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What you need to do is to look at a few "normal" emerald cuts with depths around 68% to 74%. See if you like the larger appearance of the diamond you are thinking of compared to the extra, invisible depth on those. The, look at the table. Do you like the appearance of a relatively small table like the diamond you are describing or the "normal" table that will be in excess of 70%. Larger tables decrease the dispersion effect around the upper perimeter of the stone. Do you like a lively stone or do you prefer a watery look? The bigger the table, the more often you find a mirror-like look to the diamond that is somewhat "watery" or lifeless. Some prefer it, but many would not once they are clued to what is taking place.You need at the very least to know the crown height percentage. I like the table not to exceed 65% and the crown height to be between 11.5% and 15.5%. Realistically you can find a 9.5% crown height and 65% table stone to be quite lovely. But, without the crown height, you are not going to know a whole lot.Hope this helps and does not confuse you further. In the end, you buy what you like, not what we tell you to buy. Buy a diamond because it means a lot to you and it represents a committment you are making. The money and even the brilliancy is truly secondary.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results