shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
What is the problem with the following stats of this diamond.
H, SI1, table 60, depth 61.6, crown 15.2%, pav. 41.9%, cult 0, polish vg, sim
G, fluro N.... Something doesn''t seem right with the depth, table, crown & pav. ratio. Thanks!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
The table is large and the pavillion is a bit shallow for Ideal proportions. You might get a Sarin on the diamond. The crown/pavillion angles combination could be good and this diamond could be a sparkler.
1.gif

abbott

Shiny_Rock
With these stats would you be concerned that it is H in color?? It is suppose to be eye clean.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
How big is the stone?

Color will show a little more in larger stones. Also, is it graded H by GIA or AGS? They are usually the most consistent and strict in their grading, which doesn't necessarily mean that another lab is inaccurate. Any stone's characteristics should be verified by an independent appraiser. I personaly think H color stones are a great buy. They are usually very white face up in an ideal round cut stone, and only show a very little tint from the bottom, which is usually not an issue unless you're very color sensitive and have a very open setting that exposes a lot of the bottom of the stone.

cmcwill

Shiny_Rock
It rates a 1.6 on the HCA as far as cut quality goes...pretty nice! Have you seen the stone to doubt it performance?

Colleen

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
One more thing to add.

cmcwill is right. It does score a 1.6 on the Holloway Cut Advisor, which is excellent, with a score of VG/EX/EX/VG for Brilliance/Fire/Scintillation/Spread. It also says that it is a Fiery Ideal Cut (FIC) Here is what Mr. Holloway says about FIC's on his website:

"Brilliant Ideal Cuts (BIC) have the highest light return and larger spreads. Fiery Ideal Cuts (FIC) have more fire or spectral color and appear to have more facets and scintillation because of the increased interaction between the steeper crown facets that direct your view deeper and further into the pavilion.

Those two factors mean lead some people to feel FIC’s have a ‘romantic’ look, even though they display slightly less brilliance. But because they are smaller than BIC’s, but when spread and cost are considered many consumers trade beauty for desirability and switch to TIC’s or BIC’s."

A little disclaimer before I keep going. This is all based on percentages, when in fact crown/pavilion angles are more accurate. Assuming that there isn't too much error in the results, the HCA suggests the possibility of a very fiery diamond, which I personally really like. The little bit larger than average table helps out with the spread, as well, but might detract a little from all that fire an FIC would have.

The HCA suggests this could be a very good diamond, minor facets and symmetry not withstanding. If you could get full sarin data, an idealscope image and H&A pictures, it might help determine the performance of the diamond.

Maybe Mr. Holloway could comment further on the expected performance on this diamond, and correct any incorrect assumotions I may have made.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I have not seen the stone.. I will see it next week. I am upgrading my current stone.. It is GIA certified.. and yes I like lots of fire.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
What would be a fair price for this diamond??

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
You need a little more info to determine a fair price.

First of all, how big is it?

Second, what grading report does it have?

Third, is it being sold as an ideal cut and/or heart and arrow stone?

One way to determine a fair price is to compare you stone to stones with similar characteristics on the pricescope search page. The best way to determine if it's a fair price is to have it evaluated by an independent appraiser.

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
OOPS!
1.gif
Sorry, didn't see that you said it was GIA certified. The other questions still apply.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
The stone is 3.01 caret and is being sold as a quality cut. Thanks!!! Abbott

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
There are a couple of 3 ct H SI1 stones on the pricescope search paage that are going for just under $23,500. That should give you a rough estimate. However, the only way you can be really sure you're getting a fair price is to have it examined by an independent appraiser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results