shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused on Robbins Brothers diamonds

Brandonsdeal

Rough_Rock
I've had a lot of friends recommend a lot of places, and I felt like I have decent grasp on the 4c's and certificates. The place I felt the most comfortable with was Robbins Brothers, the service was much greater than the other spots I visited (I felt like they just wanted to done with me as quick as possible) I spent close to 2hrs at Robbins Brothers and learned some very different things from them than everything online was telling me. I was reluctant to buy right then, but they said with the 30day return policy I could take the diamond with me to other stores to do side by side comparisons and if I felt differently I could return the ring/diamond.

So I ended up purchasing a 1.01-carat I1-clarity I-color Good-cut Non-Certified for $3995 and, and realized I may not have got the best diamond for my money after the fact based on the grading scale. What I am confused by is I have since taken it with me back to the other spots I visited (Costco, Jareds, and Zales) and was shown better graded diamonds (the best was a .94-carat VS2-clarity H-color Exellent-cut GIA at Jareds), but the Robbins Brothers diamond sparkled more than all of the others.

I still am within my 30day return, but I don't understand why I would want a better graded diamond if this diamond (which is a worse grading with no certificate) looks better and sparkles more?? I want to give my girl the best looking diamond I can find, so I'm just really confused because it makes no sense to me.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Excellent cut with GIA does not automatically guarantee a super diamond.

You can absolutely do better than I-color, I1, Good cut for $4,000. Jareds, etc. also do not offer truly ample comparison for nice diamonds.

Check out a place like Whiteflash - look on their website and see some example videos of their diamonds. If you want to still maximize sparkle vs money, give IDJewelry a try too, and mention that you are from Pricescope and ask for the best PriceScope quality diamond in your budget.

However, it is my opinion that you should return your diamond ASAP and consider options that you'll get from people here at PS. $4,000 is far too much money for the diamond that you were offered.

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've had a lot of friends recommend a lot of places, and I felt like I have decent grasp on the 4c's and certificates. The place I felt the most comfortable with was Robbins Brothers, the service was much greater than the other spots I visited (I felt like they just wanted to done with me as quick as possible) I spent close to 2hrs at Robbins Brothers and learned some very different things from them than everything online was telling me. I was reluctant to buy right then, but they said with the 30day return policy I could take the diamond with me to other stores to do side by side comparisons and if I felt differently I could return the ring/diamond.

So I ended up purchasing a 1.01-carat I1-clarity I-color Good-cut Non-Certified for $3995 and, and realized I may not have got the best diamond for my money after the fact based on the grading scale. What I am confused by is I have since taken it with me back to the other spots I visited (Costco, Jareds, and Zales) and was shown better graded diamonds (the best was a .94-carat VS2-clarity H-color Exellent-cut GIA at Jareds), but the Robbins Brothers diamond sparkled more than all of the others.

I still am within my 30day return, but I don't understand why I would want a better graded diamond if this diamond (which is a worse grading with no certificate) looks better and sparkles more?? I want to give my girl the best looking diamond I can find, so I'm just really confused because it makes no sense to me.

There is really no telling what you got with the ungraded diamond that was sold to you by Robbins Brothers. It could be treated/enhanced and an I-1 clarity as estimated by Robbins Brothers (not even as graded by a reputable lab) could be a cause for concerns regarding durability. Personally, I'd suggest just returning the ring, but if you are intent on comparing it to others, try visiting reputable local jewelers rather than the chains you mentioned (Kay, Jared, Zales, etc.) and view the ring with their offerings in lighting that is not jewelry store lighting (near a window, under shadows, in an office or restroom if they will allow it). Jewelry store lighting can make even the poorest cut diamonds sparkle like crazy, the real test is outside that lighting. There are plenty of reputable online retailers where you will get much more bang for your buck. Of course, you would have to purchase site unseen, but most of these retailers have generous return policies. And all the very knowledgeable PSers here you will probably be able to offer you very nice recommendations. GL!

ETA: If you are looking to save money by getting an ungraded diamond, try ID Jewelers in NYC. Give them your budget and ask them to help you find an ungraded PriceScope quality diamond.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the reasons for getting a diamond certified by a reputable lab (ie GIA) is so you can see exactly what you are paying for and if the price is fair. Otherwise (unless you are an expert yourself) you don't know exactly what you are getting and if the price you are paying is a fair price.

And yes seeing it in person and in different lighting environments is also important but does not take the place of a GIA cert for a modern cut diamond. IMO.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After two hrs they sold you a good cut I-1? That’s a very poor education on their part. You got majorly ripped off.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to pile on...but really...we can help you do much better.

Without searching too hard...you can get a super-ideal with the ability to "trade up" this stone for a larger one in the future with just $1 more. With a bit of time and more knowledge of your budget and her likes, we can find more.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please please please return it. An ungraded I-1 is a massive rip off at that price---not to mention that you actually have no clue what you bought. Zales and Kay, etc, are equally awful, so don't compare anything to the stones they showed you. Let us help you find better!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's totally possible that it outshines the competitor stones you saw. It is also very likely you can find one that outshines them all and with better specs for the same budget.

The reason to want the grading, certification, etc. is to be able to defend the resale value or insurance replacement value if something happens in the future. If that's not a concern, finding a vendor that specializes in picking great uncerted stones (and I hear IDJ mentioned a lot for this but haven't worked with them personally) is going to be a better bet than a mass market jeweler imho.

I'd return it and keep looking. Best of luck!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the record...one of us work for any company or seller we suggest. We get no commission or "credit" with that seller. We have no personal "skin" in which stone or setting you choose. We are just total diamond nerds and love to help others. We will educate you, to the extent you want. We don't always agree with each other, but you'll learn in our disagreements.

Anyone with a TRADE badge is a vendor and they, unlike us, have to follow very tight rules about posting and can't comment on competitors' diamonds. But, don't underestimate how amazing and educational they are.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just quickly, there are 60+ in-house stones on the PS search engine right now that might suit:

77 AGS000 stones in Virtual inventory:

and over 1300 GIA XXX stones in Virtual inventory that are within PS-recommended ranges and have 'Excellent' HCA scores:

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I1 1ct for $4k?! Yikes! :???:

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
You came to the right place to find a beautiful diamond in budget. Listen to the folks here. They will guide you to a beautiful stone. So glad you can return the uncertified diamond you bought.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't waste your money with Robbins Brothers . They are full of BS!...:knockout:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you take our advice and return it, be megan trainor. Just say "no". You owe no reason, you don't want to see other options, you have no issue with the price, no discount will make this your best option, you don't want to think about it, you don't want to talk to the manager, no, no, no...you just are going in a different direction. They will try to sway you....big time.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
What is most important to you? The size or the quality? Is your budget firm at $4000? Would you consider lab created? If your budget is firm but you really want to hit the one carat mark, I would at least consider lab created to really get the most from your budget. You can post in Lab Grown section of the forum what your parameters are, and I’m sure you would have plenty of suggestions offered. If not, totally understand, just wanted to mention that as a possible option. I

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
omg return it immediately.

we can help you get a MUCH better value for your money, and you (and your fiancé) will be thrilled that you took Pricescope’s advice.

you are very welcome here - we love to help people find beautiful stones - and to repeat what was said by my betters above, none of us stands to gain (except by doing good deeds to build karma)

run, don’t walk, back to the store to return that stone.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are questioning the purchase then take it an independent appraiser to give you more information over this uncertified stone. At this point there just isn’t any telling what they sold you

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
giphy.gif

I'm not sure which is more of a crime, the "education" you received, the stone they sold you or the psychological mind game of buy it and return it (while we put you through 7 levels of hell) that they have and will play on you.

One thing is certain, you need to return the stone and allow us to help find you something better.

There's a fourth crime that occurred here as well. @rockysalamander had to go and pull Meghan Trainor into this and re-traumatize me.

I love my wife with all my being but I often cherish the days when I didn't know who Trainor was or what she sung. I bet her and Rocky conspired on this. The song referenced earlier is actually my (smart ass) wife's way of responding to me when she doesn't want to do something. But enough of my drama, grab some cotton balls and enjoy.

And if you're a quick learner, cue this song up before you walk into RB and play when the sales guy/manager starts their but, but, but reasoning. :mrgreen:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I love it - not the music part, but the sentiment!
Dying laughing.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
giphy.gif

I'm not sure which is more of a crime, the "education" you received, the stone they sold you or the psychological mind game of buy it and return it (while we put you through 7 levels of hell) that they have and will play on you.

One thing is certain, you need to return the stone and allow us to help find you something better.

There's a fourth crime that occurred here as well. @rockysalamander had to go and pull Meghan Trainor into this and re-traumatize me.

I love my wife with all my being but I often cherish the days when I didn't know who Trainor was or what she sung. I bet her and Rocky conspired on this. The song referenced earlier is actually my (smart ass) wife's way of responding to me when she doesn't want to do something. But enough of my drama, grab some cotton balls and enjoy.

And if you're a quick learner, cue this song up before you walk into RB and play when the sales guy/manager starts their but, but, but reasoning. :mrgreen:

ROFL. At home, if I say no and get a lot of "but, but, but"....I start saying "no" in every language I know. I'm up to 12 languages/dialects to say "no". (only fluent in 3). If it persists, I start speaking another language entirely until the whining ends. My family gets the clue.

I have to admit is the Meghan Trainor "No" is the soundtrack in my head at work after the 10th call of "can't you put my request ahead of everyone else due to my personal super special reason that really means I planned poorly and now want it to be your problem?" Thank goodness there are not thought bubbles. But, I digress...

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, if you check comparison stones on Blue Nile they have 1.01 ct I Si2 good cuts from $2900. They don’t stock I1 stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results