shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused newbie needs some advice on Diamond purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abetsm

Rough_Rock

Newbie here! Been studying for months now trying to get a handle on how to buy a diamond engagement ring and finally decided to do a proper diamond search online. I found this diamond and hopefully some of our expert PSers can chime in and give their opinion:

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Round_Diamond-143/Loose_Round_1_Carat_F_Color_VS1_Clarity_diamond-280144.html

This is not a ''true'' H&A diamond since the hearts formation is not complete but seems to have good cut since its ex/ex/ex on the GIA certificate. Tried using HCA and the diamond had a score of 2.6 (Very Good)

Looking at the ASET image there seems to be a diamond shaped blue spot on the 12 o''clock position and was wondering if this would have any negative effects on the diamond.

Actually when I started looking for a diamond I had my eye set on a H&A diamond and was wondering if it really pays to get an H&A diamond which would most probably be of lower color grade and clarity (I saw several H&A diamonds but with H color and VS2 around the same price range).

Would it be better to get this diamond over a ''true'' H&A diamond since it has good color and clarity?

Would appreciate some advice

1.gif

Thanks!
Albert

AHearts27022009.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like the cut in that part of the stone is not that ideal, probably a shallower cut there. Black in the IS and Blue in the ASET is to simulate head obstruction of light source. So that spot might go dark when viewed closely, similar to what is happening to the arrows. Under normal viewing condition, probably not that noticeable. It also looks like there is some leakage on the 6-7 o''clock position, might not be significant, IS could confirm that.

Nothing wrong with a H/VS2. The color is almost the same and clarity as long as it is eye-clean no one will even notice if it is a SI1/2 or even and eye-clean I.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome abetsman!

It looks like a very nice diamond, I can see what appears to be a little leakage towards the bottom of the ASET image possibly due to a steeper angle swing in that area, but this might not be perceptible to the human eye. I would ask Excel for an Idealscope image of this diamond if you are considering it seriously. The diamond shaped blue area is probably not perceptible to the human eye also especially in reality but ask Excel to confirm that.

As to whether you want higher colour or clarity and a ' fine make' of diamond compared to lower C/C and h&a then this is purely a matter of preference and if you go lower on clarity whether the diamond is eyeclean to your standards or not. As long as your diamond has good proportions and finish which are proven by images and trusted vendor input then you will have a good looking rock.

abetsm

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for your input. Thanks Lorelei for the welcome!

Indeed the blue spot is visible on the actual diamond picture when viewed overhead (similar to the arrows) but I really have no idea if it has any effect on the diamond brilliance when viewed normally. The light leakage I cannot seem to make out on the actual picture but I guess its not going to be readily visible.

The diamond itself looks good but I guess I cannot seem to get around the fact I still prefer a ''true'' H&A. My girlfriend saw an H&A diamond once and seems to have her heart set on having one.

I will try to search some more and compare my options. Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 8:38:14 AM
Author: abetsm
Thank you both for your input. Thanks Lorelei for the welcome!

Indeed the blue spot is visible on the actual diamond picture when viewed overhead (similar to the arrows) but I really have no idea if it has any effect on the diamond brilliance when viewed normally. The light leakage I cannot seem to make out on the actual picture but I guess its not going to be readily visible.

The diamond itself looks good but I guess I cannot seem to get around the fact I still prefer a 'true' H&A. My girlfriend saw an H&A diamond once and seems to have her heart set on having one.

I will try to search some more and compare my options. Thanks!
Very glad to help! If you would prefer an undisputed h&a then thats what to look for. What appears to be leakage is visible at 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock on the ASET image if you look, it may not be perceptible to the human eye however.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results