shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused - Advice on a Princess Cut (maybe from Rhino?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KTBee

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm asking your opinion on princess cut diamond (I posted a less detailed question about a different stone a few days ago). This may be a bit long-winded, but I hope you bear with me. But if you can't here's the specs :))

Square Modified Brilliant
5.94x5.74x3.99 mm
Weight 1.11c
Depth 69.5%
Table 67%
Gridle Medium
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Clarity VS1
Color D
Fluorescence Faint
Price $6,295

Extra Sarin info:
Crown Angles: 38.8 37.2 39.7
Crown Height: .58 .57 .59 10.2%
Pavil. Angle: 59.3 58.9 59.6
Pavil Dep. 3.27 3.28 3.27 57.6%

---------------

Here's the story:

Recently, I found and recently purchased a diamond at USACerted (Side note: Excellent service from Ashley and Martin!). I'm expecting it on Friday. Since I had another stone on hold at a B&M, I went in to tell them that I was no longer interested in the stone that they were holding for me. The sales-lady proceeded to ask me what I was buying instead at which point I showed her the GIA Cert with the above-listed specs.

Continued...

KTBee

Rough_Rock
(The rest of the story...):-o

She couldn't understand why I liked the diamond and told me that I shouldn't be looking at diamonds with such low depth and table b/c "No one buys those kinds of diamonds, which is why we don't stock them". I then pulled out my handy-dandy AGA Princess Cut Chart and showed her how my diamond fell under class 1A "Ideal" whereas their stone fell under Class 3A "Domestic Average" . She went on to tell me that she had never seen or heard of this chart before (understandable) and asked if she could get her in-house gemologist to take a look. Well, as you could guess, he said the exact same things: "Why would you buy this? The depth is way too low. It could break easier. I wouldn't trust this chart. etc, etc..."

I know better than to trust the opinion of a gemologist paid by a jeweler, however...they did put enough of a shadow of a doubt that now I want to double-check that I'm purchasing a good stone. I do plan to take my stone in for an appraisal, but I know that there are folks here who've seen several princess cut stones and can give me a rough estimate of whether I got a good stone/deal based on the numbers.

Can I ask your assistance???

KTBee

Rough_Rock
BTW, I just realized that Rhino works with Jonathan at Goodoldgold (or am I wrong??). Had I known that, I wouldn't have specifically asked for his help b/c I'm sure it's bad form to ask someone for their opinion of a stone purchased at a competitor's shop. Sorry - newbie mistake. :confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Intriguing! Just give me a few minutes :)

Btw, Rhino = Jonathan :)

Architect

Rough_Rock
KTBee,
I was on the hunt for a diamond since July and I just recently (last week) purchased and received a beautiful round diamond I found on pricescope and purchased through Whiteflash.com (excellent staff and great salespeople...thanks Ramona). During my long search, I went to several B&M jewelry stores and found that all became very offended when I mentioned I was looking online for a stone as well. They all insisted their stones were much better quality and at fair prices...but for most of the stores, these two things were far from true. If the jewelry store is saying your stone is too shallow and that they are not familiar with the charts you showed them, I suggest you don't purchase from there because any good jeweler is familiar with these charts. They are just trying to scare you into thinking your stone is inferior so that they can gain your business. I find shopping online to be very conveneient because you get to see what the measurements of stones are and get to narrow your earches that way...try going to a B&M and ask them to bring out every stone they have that falls within your specifications and they will give you a blank look. I hope you can feel confident about your purchase as I did about mine. I did not settle for any of the stones the B&M jewelers showed me because non matched all the things I was looking for. Good luck with your diamond! (Sorry for the long reply, but I figure it's better than giving you a one liner answer) :)

Ramona

Rough_Rock
Hi Architect-thanks for your kind words. Helping all of you out is the best part of this job! Want to give me a hint at who Architect is?

Ramona
www.whiteflash.com:wink2:

Architect

Rough_Rock
Architect = Andy :wavey:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi KTBee,

Where you are at with that 1.11ct is a good place to start concerning the #'s and may indeed be a winner. While that would be a princess worthy of further inspection I would never guarantee or recommend a stone that I did not personally inspect. The #'s game with princess cuts can be a very tricky one as there are 3 pavilion angles to be measured and 2 crown angles along with the table size, crown height and pavilion depth. After completing our page on the minor facets my next project is going to be "Unraveling the riddle of the squares and why the numbers can be deceptive." In shop we get to inspect many modified square brilliant cuts including princess, radiants, flanders, regents & lucere's and many times I've found stones whose numbers sound GREAT on paper only to be dissappointed in the optical results. We have access to just about any diamond online so if there's anything you'd like us to take a critical look at drop me an email.

Kind regards,
Rhino
aka Jonathan :))

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Awesome stone, great price, KT.

The mall guys didn't know what they were talking about. Very common.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd like to ditto Rich's comments as well. That store OBVIOUSLY didn't know what they were talking about. Looks like that stone is sold too. Congrats!

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results