shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about the cut type

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

godiva

Rough_Rock
I asked our gemologist what kind of cuts the diamonds were (the ones that we are interested in) and he said that cuts such as H&A is like a brand name.
He said that what we should look for is the "true zero cut grade". These diamonds are also coming out of Israel (BTW I asked about this Israel diamonds yesterday and I received no response) and not from the pile that belongs to DeBeers if that makes any sense. What is he talking about when he says "true zero cut grade"? Should we be concerned?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hearts and Arrows is NOT a brand! They are internal patterns that appear as a result of symmetry. Symmetry is a result of cut. Brands are Eight Star, SuperbCert, A Cut Above, etc.

When your jeweler says, "true zero cut grade", he/she may be referring to AGS0 for Ideal Polish, Ideal Symmetry, and Ideal Proportions.
1.gif

godiva

Rough_Rock
So should he be able to tell me what kind of cut it is?
Other than the H&A cut, what other cuts are available?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 1/29/2004 1:49:20 PM godiva wrote:

These diamonds are also coming out of Israel (BTW I asked about this Israel diamonds yesterday and I received no response) and not from the pile that belongs to DeBeers if that makes any sense.

----------------

Sorry, I thought I had answered that. It makes sense, it's just, well, nonsense. AGS0-grade stones are being cut everywhere, not just Israel. And plenty of De Beers rough goes through Israeli cutting centers.

godiva

Rough_Rock
lawGem,
You probably did.
I leave work at 4:00 so I probably didn't see your reply.
You said "nonsense". Does this mean this is a bad thing?

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Not good or bad, just wrong. There is nothing inherently superior or inferior about Israeli-cut diamonds. There are good and bad Israeli cutting firms. And plenty of manufacturers--in Israel, India, the US, and elsewhere--turn out ideal-cut stones.

godiva

Rough_Rock
So should he be able to tell me what kind of cut it is?
Other than the H&A cut, what other cuts are available?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
By cuts, Godiva, do you mean shapes of diamond cuts?? Or are you talking cuts as applied to Round Brilliants??
confused.gif

godiva

Rough_Rock
Applied to round brilliants...
Everybody here seems to describe their stones as H&A etc and that's one thing we never asked our guy about. So when I asked him today over the phone that's when he said something about true zero cut grade. So I guess he never answered my question.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Round Brilliants graded by AGS with Ideal Polish, Ideal Symmetry, and Ideal Proportions are referred to as AGS0. Many jewelers will liberally apply the "AGS0" description to diamonds graded by GIA, EGL, and other labs, as a marketing tool.

A jeweler may have, as an example, a GIA Excellent Polish/Excellent Symmetry diamond and represent it as a "true zero cut grade". What the jeweler is saying is, "This GIA Ex/Ex is as good as an AGS0." The GIA Ex/Ex may meet AGS Proportions for Ideal and it may not. Just like many diamonds are marketed as Hearts and Arrows when they are not.

It's a gimick to sell a diamond for a premium when the make of the diamond doesn't really command the premium.
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I also think your jeweler is confusing you about what H&As actually are. A H&A diamond is one that is supposedly cut with such precision that it displays a perfect internal symmetry. That internal symmetry has the appearance of hearts and arrows. Thus, you can also have a diamond not specifically cut for H&A that still exhibits the phenomena. Don't think of H&As as a type of cut, but as the result of a well-cut diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results