shape
carat
color
clarity

Confused about ovals!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

grahamfiv

Rough_Rock
I have been shopping for Oval diamonds with the following general specs: Weight: 1.1 - 1.3
Color: E or F
Clarity: VS2 or BetterProblem is, I have seen dozens of diamonds, but I still have no real guide to tell me how to determine a good cut. I am guessing that bowties are bad... right? Also, other than depth and table %'s, there is not much more provided on GIA certs. How do i find out stuff like pavillion and crown % and what would be good values? Any help would be greatly appreciated. GV

grahamfiv

Rough_Rock
Thanks. By the way... what kind of discount should I expect to get over the 'Rapapport' report that everyone keeps showing me?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It is not a good practice to use Rapaport report in retail. Be very careful with that.Some jewelers are using it to convince consumers that their price is good. It is often a trap.Trade is using Rapaport Report as a standard and prices are usually calculated in % OFF Rap based on the market, make, grading reports, etc.One should be rather knowledgeable in diamond pricing to use it.You would be much safer just to compare prices for the similar diamonds using search on this site.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Grahamfiv,If you haven't visited it yet you can check AGA chart for ovals: http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt2.htm You are correct on GIA and cut information - not too much help. Your best bet would be to send it to David Atlas (AGA) for inspection or simply select the one you like the most.You will always have bowtie effect in oval diamond, just make sure it is not too strong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results