shape
carat
color
clarity

Conflicted: Advice needed on huggie earrings

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I am pricing huggie earrings. The Whiteflash 1.5cttw in platinum were my first pick, then I reached out to HPD. I have a time constraint, so they can’t be custom. HPD would be using a stock platinum setting, 1.9cttw and comes in significantly cheaper. Im surprised, as the carat weight is higher. Both are shared prong. Whiteflash setting is lovely from the side view, the HPD is a bit different. I believe I will get top notch sparkle from either vendor, but want some opinions. Maybe someone here has gotten the HPD huggies, but I’m unable to find a review. There are plenty of reviews on the Whiteflash ones. I’ll post a pic of both. I asked Michelle at Whiteflash the weight of the huggie in platinum, it is 4.25 grams. Im waiting to find out the weight on the HPD ones.
D4BCA984-28C2-4BCA-B582-37A4A5643A96.jpeg
Pic #1 is the Whiteflash pair
A691B266-D1B0-42B5-8F6E-839C896EDE13.jpeg AA1F9F32-4B2A-4794-BA07-9C212D6D43EF.jpeg
Pics #2 and #3 are HPD. The locking mechanism is nice on these too. Anyone have any advice or experience to share? Thank you

Kh0117

Rough_Rock
It could very well be the way the WF photo was taken but the HPD has a lot of metal IMO so I would probably choose WF just because of this reason.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Just got confirmation that the HPD huggies weighs 4.7 grams each before final polish. I agree, the pic looks like more metal, but this info means that it’s about the same, I think. I’m probably drawn to the Whiteflash style but the pics are really enlarged and will it bother me in real life...? Im not sure...and it’s a lot cheaper so that’s on my mind as well. Both styles look like they will be easy to access the diamonds for cleaning and I have an ultrasonic. Ugh, so hard to make the decision!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Are the HPD actual earrings? It looks like CGI imagery or a good rendering, which can make the metal look heavier. Perhaps you can ask for actual measurements in mm?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the HPD are actual earrings. Haha! The overall measurement is 18.8mm with 19 pointers. The Whiteflash ones are 18.8mm dIameter with 15 pointers, so both are very similiar size

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The WF earrings are stock items so returnable, yes?

Would the HPD earrings be considered custom and thus perhaps not returnable? I don't know HPD's return policy on made-to-order jewelry items ...

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
@marymm, I will check the return policy. Thank you for pointing that out!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
is the whiteflash pair *using a cut above* melee diamonds?

is the hpd pair using hpd/cbi luxe melee diamonds and not "premium" melee diamonds??

often companies have tiered melees. i think it is important to specify

in terms of setting, i like the whiteflash pair more as the stones appear to be set more low profile. whereas the hpd pair, the stones appear higher up in the mounting.

what about the "clicking" mechanism?? is one more secure than the other?? hard to tell from images. must have product, in hand to be able to determine ...

Last edited:

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
@MamaBear Ooh how fun! Well we know that diamond quality should be quite comparable with WF and HPD, particularly if HPD is using their HP Luxe diamonds. And given the comparable metal weights and exact same 18.8 mm overall earring diameter, I would personally go with the higher carat weight/ lower price of the HPD option. I also prefer that the HPD earring post mechanism is straight and not curved like the Whiteflash option. I have curved post Roberto Coin huggies that are kind of irritating to the holes in my ears as I am putting them on. Finally, I am a huge fan of HPD and their service.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I have an email to Melissa asking about the melee. I do believe it is not their luxe melee because it is not custom. Would this sway any of you to Whiteflash based on that alone?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the HPD are actual earrings. Haha! The overall measurement is 18.8mm with 19 pointers. The Whiteflash ones are 18.8mm dIameter with 15 pointers, so both are very similiar size

I don’t believe the HPD images are of actual earrings - where’s the hinge?

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
@MamaBear is HPD using the Canadamark F/VS Hearts and Arrows melee? I used those in my diamond cluster/halo pendant earlier this year and was very impressed and pleased. If they are not using ideal cut hearts and arrows while Whiteflash is using ACAs, that might sway my opinion. How much is the price difference, might I ask?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Well that’s a great observation! I’ll update info when I hear back from Melissa

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
@Gemstonesrock is about $2000 cheaper. I plan to pass these to my daughters. So quality is important, but because I can’t hold and see each side by side I’m hoping for input from others who know!! My son’s wedding is November 1, so I do feel pressure to make this decision which isn’t helping... I wanted to wear them to the wedding.

ETA: It’s $2000 difference between the 2ctw earrings. It’s $1000 between the Whiteflash 1.5 and the HPD 1.9

Gemstonesrock

Shiny_Rock
Especially since this will be passed down, I do think we do have to wait and find out what level of quality melee HPD is going to use. Is it already confirmed that Whiteflash is using ACA's?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, the Whiteflash earrings are ACA melee

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Per Melissa at HPD: melee are hearts and arrows cuts, F color, VS clarity. They're not HPD Lux melee, but definitely very nice cuts. I know HPD has great quality as does Whiteflash. Any suggestions? Has anyone compared the lux melee with the premium melee at HPD?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about reaching out to ID Jewelry?

They have similar looking earrings.

So does Brian Gavin.

The HPD render looks kind of bulky, but they always do. That's a render/computer image not the earrings.

No personal experience with either companies or the melee quality so please take with a grain of salt, but I wonder if the $1k difference is really worth it for the slight improvement in melee? I mean, if the HPD is 1.9ctw for the pair we’re talking 19 pointers here (vs 15 pointers for the WF). I doubt you can really see a huge visible difference between the cut quality of both (especially since HPD presumably uses good quality melee even at their “one notch below top quality” level) at that size. And if I understand correctly, if you want the same size with ACA melee it’s going to cost you $2k more... id rather put that 1-2k towards something else with a bigger bang for buck, but that’s just me. My $0.02. Good luck with the decision :)

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I did get a quote from ID Jewelry, as well, but feeling more comfortable with HPD or Whiteflash because I’ve worked with them before. I was just given another option that is really sticking with me...
33347B56-E95F-4C40-B249-9128BBF5F4A1.jpeg
These are 2.88cttw, .16 pointers., from HPD. They are more expensive than the 5 stone but I am gravitating toward them now. They also seem to have less metal, which I will confirm with Melissa in a few moments. I think I’m in love! Do you think I could wear them with a sweater and jeans/causal. I want the flexibility to wear them often and not just for dressy events!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I LOVE Omega backs (pictured on your image above). Now, I've only ever had them on Cartier earrings, so I don't know how other company's Omegas are to wear. But on me at least, Omegas are super comfy and feel very secure, and have the added benefit of being light weight with less metal.

Cartier will adjust their Omega backs if they feel too tight or too loose so you can have a "feel" that's perfect for you. I love having that option. Will HPD do that for you? If yes, then for me, I'd totally buy these earrings with larger stones and the Omega backs.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @RunningwithScissors! I’m just loving the graceful curve they have compared with the first pairs I was considering. Good to know about adjusting the omega backs! I’ll inquire on that.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
this recent pair of hpd appear much nicer than the first pair of hpd.

i am wondering, for you, if this pair uses hpd/cbi luxe melee?? yes, the mechanics and metal work seem nicer as well as the 2 stone inside out detail but is it their *top of the line* melee??

with this pair, we've ventured away from traditional *clicking* huggie and now it's just more of a small inside out hoop.

I did get a quote from ID Jewelry, as well, but feeling more comfortable with HPD or Whiteflash because I’ve worked with them before. I was just given another option that is really sticking with me...
These are 2.88cttw, .16 pointers., from HPD. They are more expensive than the 5 stone but I am gravitating toward them now. They also seem to have less metal, which I will confirm with Melissa in a few moments. I think I’m in love! Do you think I could wear them with a sweater and jeans/causal. I want the flexibility to wear them often and not just for dressy events!

I prefer these! I like inside/out hoops and these look more delicate as well. How do they compare price wise to the WF 5 stone pair? My concern wouldn’t be so much the quality of the melee like I said earlier, but more so the price and comfort factors. I do think these are a pair you can wear often, both dressed up and down!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your input, I needed to process with like minded people and I truly appreciate your comments. This new pair just grabbed me as soon as I saw them, I was no longer undecided but felt good about proceeding with the purchase. I have a 10 day return period after I receive them to inspect. I have a custom eternity with the lux melee also from HPD, so I’ll be able to do a side by side comparison. I’ll be sure to update this thread with my thoughts. Hopefully, my experience will help someone down the line.
@PintoBean, I’ve been mulling over the purchase for a month, but just started quotes last week. It does take time to decide on quality pieces. Even harder to choose pieces you don’t have in hand. That is why I wanted to stick with these two companies. I am a very indecisive person anyway so the final decision can cause me anxiety. I appreciate your advice.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

I love the newest option - I just looked at their site and couldn't find this setting. Is it custom? Personally, these get my vote - and I would wear them with anything - including casual. Beautiful!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@MamaBear

clearly, you already have a wonderful collection of hpd/cbi, top of the line, round brilliant diamonds, already. it is obvious to most, that you care very much care about ideal light return and optics.

hopefully, you get this pair and completely adore them. however, if you compare them side by side to the luxe melee you already have and they fall short, to your eyes, you can have hpd *upgrade* the stones.

especially, as you mentioned that this pair of earrings is to become a family heirloom with you intending to pass them down to your dear daughter as @Gemstonesrock also mentioned.

knowing some of your pieces, i would not concern myself with the, inconsequential bits, of seeking out or settling for lesser melee just to save a grand or two. i think you are a great deal more astute than that, as evident by your top tier cut diamonds within your collection

i think you are going about it perfectly, by seeing the hoops for yourself and deciding for yourself

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results