shape
carat
color
clarity

conflict-free

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

halfmoonlover

Rough_Rock
Hi,
My boyfriend and I are trying to locate a pair of certified, conflict-free, half moon accent diamonds (.4 ct each) for a sapphire (2.5 ct) engagement ring. We have been trying to work with mines in Canada and Russia, but they don''t seem to cut diamonds to that shape. Any advice on where to go next would be greatly appreciated. Also, if this is a lost cause, knowing that now, instead of after months of searching, would be helpful.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi halfmoonlover, welcome to the forum,

I understand you trying to do the "politically correct" thing and get conflict-free diamonds but there is a slight problem. Only certain rough diamonds are candidates to be cut into half-moons. Which takes out most of the rough to cut from. The Canadians & Russians cut their diamonds in more profitable shapes. This pretty much leaves a bag or three of rough diamonds held in the vaults by Debeers in London to select from. These diamonds come from all over the world and there is know way of knowing exactly where they came from. They have been sorted and resorted so it is impossible to know where they were mined. One of the pair may come from Australia and the other from India. One could have been mined in the 1960's and the other in 1990. To add to this problem there are thousands of already cut matched pairs of side diamonds in dealers stocks that were cut before the term "conflict" diamonds was the "in thing". So probably none of the matched pairs of half moons of a certain size, color and clarity can be identified as conflict-free. I hope you can see the problem.

I think it is either buy a nice pair of matching half moon diamonds and not worry about it or get a nice pair of matching half moon rubies or sapphires. Just a thought.
Good luck!

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Halfmoonlover

The current provisions of the Kimberly Process require warranties of “ conflict Free”to pass along the delivery chain, All cutters in signatory countries now endorse each invoice.
To source a matched pair of half moons try Adasco Designs at www.idealmatchedpairs.com. They wont supply you as they don't deal with the public but I am sure they will direct you to the nearest retailer they supply. We know them and can vouch they defiantly sell conflict free goods

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange ltd (Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results