Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Confession time - who's up for it!

lil425

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
257
Ok - here we go -

Has anyone ever purchased a piece of fine jewelry and just "forgot" to tell your significant other about the purchase? What type of piece was it? Did you ever just say -"oh, I've had this for awhile" or "It's just a costume piece". Did you ever come clean?

Just a little question to have some fun with!
 

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
440
No.....but I did just order a pearl necklace and then "thanked" my hubby for being so thoughtful and buying me a present to make up for something that he'd done :Up_to_something:
 

lil425

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
257
Good one - that counts!


I had a pair of 1.00ctw earrings that I used to make a 3 stone ring. Hubby purchased the center stone for me as well as the setting. I missed having diamond earrings though so I bought myself a pair with money that I had squirreled away for some kind of purchase. Well, I wore them for over a year before I let my husband know that they were real. I figured if anything ever happened to me he'd better get the earrings off me before they dissappeared!
 

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
8,087
Nope - but I don't go out of my way to tell him about every little purchase, either. Big-ticket items - let us define "big ticket" as, say, more than a couple of hundred bucks - we discuss or buy jointly, regardless of whether it's "his," "mine," or "ours," but anything below that? Nah.

That said, man has to have noticed the exponential growth of the collection. Man is wise enough not to say anything about it. :twisted:
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
No I haven't, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't notice if I did...or really care. Maybe I should start taking advantage of that...
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
21,096
It's like DH can smell me plotting, as soon as I come up with an idea. And he gives me this Look and I blurt everything out - and he just kinda shakes his head. He's only said "No!" once - when I pointed out a pair of matching Octavias, even eyelash batting didn't work for those!

I don't give him any grief about his not-exactly-cheap sports habits, though, so I think it's a fair trade 8)
 

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
903
Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! :devil: Oh...where to begin.

Over the last 2 years I've purchased (or had made) the following items without telling dear hubby. He doesn't ask....I don't tell. :bigsmile: What he doesn't know, doesn't hurt me. LOL :naughty:

1. Upgraded my E-ring from .39 ct to 3-stone ring with 2.0 ct center and .80 ct each sides
2. 3.2 ctw eternity ring
3. 1.8 ctw 9-stone ring
4. 18k gold watch
5. 18k gold bangle with 4.13 ctw diamonds (custom made)
6. 1.0 ctw eternity ring
7. 2.5 ct rhr
8. 2.0 ctw tennis bracelet
9. 5.0 ctw tennis bracelet
10. 1.34 cw studs

Funny thing is, he has never said anything or appears to have noticed. I assume he has noticed but not said anything. I finally had to tell him I upgraded my e-ring. I had been wearing it for 4 months and he didn't notice. When I showed him, he said it was beautiful and appologized for not noticing. Go figure. I save for what I want and I do not buy anything on credit so I think that helps. :))
 

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
7,863
I buy a lot of things, but if it is over $1500 then I usually tell him about it...not always to seek permission, but more of an FYI.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
If it's in the neighborhood of 300ish or less we don't tell each other. Otherwise we discuss it.
 

lil425

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
257
I've met my Pricescope soul mate! I love your list - mine is pretty big too. several Roberto Coin bracelets, my earrings and some Yurman pieces. I have a pink sapphire coming but I won't tell him about that until it arrives and I decide to keep it. He just doesn't understand my need for these things!
 

ztajanice

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
125
I forgot to mention to him that "he" bought me these earrings! He didn't mind as long as he got the credit!

pricescope earrings2.jpg

pricescope earrings.jpg
 

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
1,674
Hubby knows that I had been paying off a diamond with Wink, and that I'd be getting a Vatche setting for it, but he doesn't know that the Grace setting I wound up getting instead of the Ribbon was more expensive than what I originally budgeted for. The bills have been getting paid and no one is starving, so it's all good.
 

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Oct 23, 2009
Messages
1,391
Yes, but my list is small and so are the items. I bought two pair of diamond earrings (double-pierced ears) and I think he's assuming their costume. I haven't told him otherwise :naughty: Both pair were just under $300 so we don't really worry about that amount, but anything $500 and over we discuss. His habit is old cars and Harley's...mine jewelery so we're even.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Winks_Elf|1312585710|2985089 said:
Hubby knows that I had been paying off a diamond with Wink, and that I'd be getting a Vatche setting for it, but he doesn't know that the Grace setting I wound up getting instead of the Ribbon was more expensive than what I originally budgeted for. The bills have been getting paid and no one is starving, so it's all good.

I can't wait to see this completed!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
24,113
He doesn't really care if I buy jewelry. He does okay spending money on watches and golf. He does see my browsing things online since I my iPad while we are watching tv.
 

lil425

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Mar 29, 2007
Messages
257
Winks elf - I loooove the new Vatche Alexa settings. Planning down the road to have some kind of colored stone set in to one of those beauties!
 

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
5,623
Nah, I rarely, if ever discuss that stuff with DH. We both work second jobs to pay for our own frivilous spending... he buys bits and pieces for his racecar all the time, and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what he buys or when, unless I have to sign for the package when it is delivered to our house! If DH sighs for a parcel for me I'd happily tell him what it is and how much it cost if he asked me, but he never does. I purchased my 2.2ct eternity, 3.02ct tennis bracelet and 1.10ctw diamond studs in the past year or so, and he doesn't bat an eyelid, I don't even know if he notices them. The only piece of jewellery he admires and loves me to wear is my e-ring, which he picked out of course ;))

The mortage and bills are getting paid and we don't have to live off spam and beans, so we're happy :bigsmile:
 

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,664
No, I did it a couple times and it led to a near divorce melt down. At the time I honestly felt like it was no big deal. Now I can see that it really was. We have agreed to discuss any unnecessary purchases over $100 which rarely happens thanks to our simple lifestyle and sites like groupon :bigsmile:
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
DandiAndi|1312619329|2985322 said:
Nah, I rarely, if ever discuss that stuff with DH. We both work second jobs to pay for our own frivilous spending... he buys bits and pieces for his racecar all the time, and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what he buys or when, unless I have to sign for the package when it is delivered to our house! If DH sighs for a parcel for me I'd happily tell him what it is and how much it cost if he asked me, but he never does. I purchased my 2.2ct eternity, 3.02ct tennis bracelet and 1.10ctw diamond studs in the past year or so, and he doesn't bat an eyelid, I don't even know if he notices them. The only piece of jewellery he admires and loves me to wear is my e-ring, which he picked out of course ;))

The mortage and bills are getting paid and we don't have to live off spam and beans, so we're happy :bigsmile:

you have a stunning collection!!
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,118
My husband doesn't notice things like jewelry and wouldn't know if I was wearing something new or not! If I want a specific item I might tell him I'd like to order this for our anniversary or my birthday, etc. and he always says fine. He is not concerned about the cost because he knows I don't ever buy on credit or overspend. But I have certainly bought things that I didn't really mention just because I didn't think about it. Just like if he buys some tools or car parts, I don't care to know, either! I am pretty lucky, though, because he really has never said no or gotten upset about me buying any jewelry, and he actually chose the larger diamond when I ordered 2 to decide on my upgrade!
 

decodame

Rough_Rock
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
67
I buy little things all the time and forget to tell DH. But normally I am so proud of the deal I got, I show him right away. And to be honest, he is my enabler. If I am unsure, he is the little voice that says "Buy it!"
 

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
Messages
5,623
Amys Bling|1312765517|2986141 said:
DandiAndi|1312619329|2985322 said:
Nah, I rarely, if ever discuss that stuff with DH. We both work second jobs to pay for our own frivilous spending... he buys bits and pieces for his racecar all the time, and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what he buys or when, unless I have to sign for the package when it is delivered to our house! If DH sighs for a parcel for me I'd happily tell him what it is and how much it cost if he asked me, but he never does. I purchased my 2.2ct eternity, 3.02ct tennis bracelet and 1.10ctw diamond studs in the past year or so, and he doesn't bat an eyelid, I don't even know if he notices them. The only piece of jewellery he admires and loves me to wear is my e-ring, which he picked out of course ;))

The mortage and bills are getting paid and we don't have to live off spam and beans, so we're happy :bigsmile:

you have a stunning collection!!
LIKEWISE!!!!!!! Thankyou, you're such a sweetheart Amy!! :wavey:
 

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
13,166
This thread is hilarious!

I don't really buy much for myself, but we always share our purchases with each other, big and small. It's not because we seek permission, we just like to share. I can't imagine hiding or forgetting to tell him about a jewelry purchase, I'd be too excited to keep it to myself!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Only if I've been on ebay while on Ambien. But in those cases *I* have no recollection of bidding... so I"m not fibbing. I had no idea I bid, let alone bought anything.

I'm not a child. I don't have to ask permission for purchases. I consult or inform. So there is no reason to fib.
 

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
11,025
Gypsy|1312853009|2986861 said:
Only if I've been on ebay while on Ambien. But in those cases *I* have no recollection of bidding... so I"m not fibbing. I had no idea I bid, let alone bought anything.

I'm not a child. I don't have to ask permission for purchases. I consult or inform. So there is no reason to fib.

ditto. I am not "hiding" it or lying about it. The times that I have "run it past him" he has said- "why are you tell me? or why are you asking me permission? You make good money- do what you want" We both know that we would not blow money we dont have or buy things extravegant.
 

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
2,399
Hmm...I'll do it TODAY...!
I bought a diamond tennis bracelet which was delivered to me three hours ago and right now is resting happily around my wrist :)) I haven't told DH anything about it but i'm waiting to see what the reaction will be when he comes back home from work :bigsmile: I suspect though that he won't notice anything...He just doesn't notice such things :D
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Pretty Princess Cut
    Pretty Princess Cut

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top