Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Concierge service worth it for lab diamond search?

Mandeefahzy

Rough_Rock
Hi all! Thanks in advance for your help. This forum has been so informative!

I’m looking for an Emerald cut diamond, around 2.5 carats, D-F, best cut/quality, at least VS1. Budget is $20K.

I’ve come to the conclusion lab diamonds are probably the most economical for what I want however I learned how much I actually DON’T know after searching online and in person for around a year.

Im currently checking out Ada Diamonds in SF, and they have amazing reviews.

My question is...is it worth it to go through a concierge service? My concern is that I’ll accidentally purchase a lab diamond with flaws like brown/blue, phosphorescence, poor cut, the streaky effect from sped up growth, etc. I understand that ECs tend to show more flaws and more care is needed when choosing.

However it seems many ppl have found great diamonds on their own and/or through the help of the lovely ppl on pricescope. Are ECs something that warrant that level of service?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Search engines like rarecarat can help you narrow your search.

Ultimately you’re the only one who knows it makes sense for you to use a concierge service. If you go that route you are paying for someone else to use their time and expertise to source a stone for you. When you do it on your own, you are saving that fee by spending your own time to develop the knowledge you need and then time to search out your stone.

There’s lots of great info freely available on Pricescope and elsewhere on the internet. Some people like getting deep into the nitty gritty and selecting their perfect stone, others prefer to pay for convenience. No wrong answer; it’s just a matter of what works for you.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Did you see the 3 ct E VS1 lab diamond that distinctive gems has? Jonathan has always been very choosy with his inventory from what I can tell. It's in budget at $16,500. Inquire quick if interested.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for an EC as well, and did a virtual appointment with VRAI earlier this week. What I liked about the virtual visit is that they were able to show me inventory that's not available to the public yet, so you wouldn't find it online. They also showed me additional details available within their system that you wouldn't find online, including gemologist notes on potential tints, and they showed me prices. I felt it was very transparent, and worth my time. I didn't look at anything over 2.8cts, so I don't know if they had a stone your size with that nice of a color. Anyway, I think it could be worth your while to do a virtual visit and see what they have :)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Did you see the 3 ct E VS1 lab diamond that distinctive gems has? Jonathan has always been very choosy with his inventory from what I can tell. It's in budget at $16,500. Inquire quick if interested.

I was just going to say...with a healthy 20K budget you can get a cut to order emerald cut with lab grown rough that is carefully selected by Jonathan at
Distinctive Gem.

Mandeefahzy

Rough_Rock
Search engines like rarecarat can help you narrow your search.

Ultimately you’re the only one who knows it makes sense for you to use a concierge service. If you go that route you are paying for someone else to use their time and expertise to source a stone for you. When you do it on your own, you are saving that fee by spending your own time to develop the knowledge you need and then time to search out your stone.

There’s lots of great info freely available on Pricescope and elsewhere on the internet. Some people like getting deep into the nitty gritty and selecting their perfect stone, others prefer to pay for convenience. No wrong answer; it’s just a matter of what works for you.

Thank you for your response! I feel like I've been doing so much "research" that I now have info overload and I am questioning every little spec. I started emailing around to different places as well to be able to compare options :)

Mandeefahzy

Rough_Rock
I have been searching for an EC as well, and did a virtual appointment with VRAI earlier this week. What I liked about the virtual visit is that they were able to show me inventory that's not available to the public yet, so you wouldn't find it online. They also showed me additional details available within their system that you wouldn't find online, including gemologist notes on potential tints, and they showed me prices. I felt it was very transparent, and worth my time. I didn't look at anything over 2.8cts, so I don't know if they had a stone your size with that nice of a color. Anyway, I think it could be worth your while to do a virtual visit and see what they have :)

Hello! Seems like VRAI really gave you a lot of insight into their inventory, along with transparent info. I like that! I am going to check out their site right now.

Mandeefahzy

Rough_Rock
I was just going to say...with a healthy 20K budget you can get a cut to order emerald cut with lab grown rough that is carefully selected by Jonathan at
Distinctive Gem.

Hi! Just caught this now! Do you have any experience with going that route? I've never even knew that was an option.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Just caught this now! Do you have any experience with going that route? I've never even knew that was an option.

Yes, my 20th anniversary ring is an 2.80 ct OEC that was custom cut from Jonathan's private reserve Lab Grown rough. I wanted to hit a specific carat weight and color, so he was able to source the lab grown rough that was able to yield the OEC I wanted, I also got a customized my setting, which was inspired by one of Jonathan's designs, but with some alterations to the shank, prongs and milgrain. The entire process took about 3.5 months, and Jonathan kept me updated on stone and the setting design the whole time. It was a wonderful experience.

Papillion

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if they are cutting lab grown Octavia asschers at Distinctive Gems?

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    Jewels Of The Week: February 2021
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever
    February's Throwbacks: Diamonds are Forever

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.