shape
carat
color
clarity

Concerns about new oval diamond

diamondquesiton

Rough_Rock
Help! I'm a first time diamond buyer and purchased an oval diamond recently from James Allen. After wearing it for some time, I have noticed that the diamond gets transparent at certain angles and I can see my skin through it or the prongs if it is tilted slightly. This can cause the diamond to look really dark. I'm worried that we focused so much on color and clarity and the diamond not having a bow tie that maybe we didn't spend enough time looking at the cut and light performance of this diamond. I'm just not sure what is normal for an oval diamond. I don't have any friends with ovals so I can't compare. I have posted some pictures. Is this what is supposed to happen when you tilt an oval diamond? Here is some more information on the diamond: 1.02 carat, D, VS1, table: 57%, depth: 63.7%, girdle: thick-extremely thick IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2035.JPG IMG_2036.JPG IMG_2037.JPG (faceted). IMG_2033.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 42

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi DiamondQuestion and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with your oval, it's such a shame when that happens but it's more common than you might think. Especially with fancy shapes, there's so much to remember, depth, table, crown height, bow tie and how to avoid ( a biggie) as well as the other factors.

But don't worry, are you able to return the diamond? JA's return policy is excellent so if you're unhappy, you can return this one if you choose as long as you're within the return policy. It's hard for me to tell what's going on here but here's a very basic estimate. If you imagine a well cut diamond consists of mirrors in its entirety, all reflecting available light back up to your eyes, this is the ideal scenario. Now imagine that some of the mirrors are missing so in some areas, the light is passing right through the stone and you can see your skin through, this is possibly what's happening here. It can be a challenge to find a fancy shape with the maximum amount of mirrors if you will, but it can be done. There's even new branded ovals cut with the maximum beauty and performance in mind.

How does it look in general, are you happy with how it looks or still a bit disappointed?

diamondquesiton

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply! I am unfortunately outside of the return window for JA, so I don't think I have a lot of options. It is bothering me though how much I can see through it and how dark it gets. Are there other settings I can put this diamond in to minimize this? Thank you for the help/advice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question, have you cleaned it recently? Daily cleaning is not too much as dirt and grease will dull a diamond very quickly.

diamondquesiton

Rough_Rock
I have been cleaning it with a little cloth pretty much daily. I don't think it's gotten dirty as I've only had it for about 6 weeks and I've been pretty ocd about wiping finger prints etc off it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been cleaning it with a little cloth pretty much daily. I don't think it's gotten dirty as I've only had it for about 6 weeks and I've been pretty ocd about wiping finger prints etc off it.

There's much of your problem right there. A jewellery cloth won't cut it, you need to give it a soak in soap and water, brush carefully with a small brush and rinse and dry it well. Grease builds up so fast and dirt, you can't see it but it will dull a diamond so fast, daily cleaning is not too much and by that I mean, soap and warm water or jewellery cleaner with ammonia ( don't soak if white gold), rinse and dry.

I bet if you give the ring a good clean with soap and water, it'll look much better. Dishwashing liquid and warm water works well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you provide the JA link to the stone you bought? That would really help.

Oh and to add on to what Lorelei said about cleaning, I usually use very hot tap water or heat the water in the micro for a short period of time. The
warm water really seems to help loosen the grime (for me).

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from whether it’s dirty or not, I get the same dark wedge shaped when I view my OEC from the side at a low angle - I think it’s that you’re at an angle where there aren’t any reflective facets bouncing light back at you. I have a lowish crown in my OEC but higher crowns on my moissy OECs and see this in both.

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hmmm if its not dirt, well maybe this due to the girdle thickness of the diamond . It's says that is thick to exthremely thick.That's what I observed most of fancy cut diamonds like heart, marquise, pearshape and oval shape once it hits beyond thick girdle you can have this problem. Also the total depth is beyond the recommended proportion should range from 59 to 63, but this one its 63.7%.
Hope my analysis is correct .

Does your vendor allowed to buy a bigger the diamond then just pay the difference? Like you trade in.

Help! I'm a first time diamond buyer and purchased an oval diamond recently from James Allen. After wearing it for some time, I have noticed that the diamond gets transparent at certain angles and I can see my skin through it or the prongs if it is tilted slightly. This can cause the diamond to look really dark. I'm worried that we focused so much on color and clarity and the diamond not having a bow tie that maybe we didn't spend enough time looking at the cut and light performance of this diamond. I'm just not sure what is normal for an oval diamond. I don't have any friends with ovals so I can't compare. I have posted some pictures. Is this what is supposed to happen when you tilt an oval diamond? Here is some more information on the diamond: 1.02 carat, D, VS1, table: 57%, depth: 63.7%, girdle: thick-extremely thick IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2035.JPG IMG_2036.JPG IMG_2037.JPG (faceted). IMG_2033.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm if its not dirt, well maybe this due to the girdle thickness of the diamond . It's says that is thick to exthremely thick.That's what I observed most of fancy cut diamonds like heart, marquise, pearshape and oval shape once it hits beyond thick girdle you can have this problem. Also the total depth is beyond the recommended proportion should range from 59 to 63, but this one its 63.7%.
Hope my analysis is correct .

Does your vendor allowed to buy a bigger the diamond then just pay the difference? Like you trade in.

The girdle thicknesses being thick to ex thick is often seen with fancy shapes, also with the depth percentages in fancies, 63.7% isn't an issue.:))

YoLaL

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh I see. I thought the extreme girdle thickness makes this diamond appear darker Sorry for my bad analysis. Thank you=)2

The girdle thicknesses being thick to ex thick is often seen with fancy shapes, also with the depth percentages in fancies, 63.7% isn't an issue.:))

diamondquesiton

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the info! I’m just really not sure if what I’m seeing is normal for an oval diamond or not. I read something online about ‘tilt windows’ and it seemed like that might be what this is. Does anyone know anything about tilt windows in diamonds?

JA does have an upgrade policy but the new diamond has to be twice the value of this one to trade in and I think that would be too big and flashy for me. I’m wondering if I set the diamond different if that might minimize what I’m seeing?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am no expert, so I hope that some chime in if I am incorrect.

Maybe a bezel or halo setting with an enclosed basket would help. If the areas that you are seeing transparency are areas where the facet is not reflecting back at you - it stands to reason that by placing white gold/platinum underneath the diamond would help. Then you would see the brightness of the metal as opposed to seeing thru the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results